Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you're in a LDR, how often do you call your bf/gf? Watch

ReputationRep:
    And what do you think is too much/too less?

ReputationRep:
    At the moment we talk everyday for between 1&2 hours, when the holidays are over though it will be more like every other day.
    We also text in the day as well and sometimes use Skype. I think its really important to have a lot of contact in a ldr, we're very serious about each other though and are planning on moving in together in six months or so.

ReputationRep:
    Once a month if she's lucky.

ReputationRep:
    Call her once a week for an hour or so. Text her a few times a day.

There should be contact but there should also be space. I see her for a weekend every 2 weeks or so. It's not as difficult as people seem to think.

Definitely worth it when I see her.

ReputationRep:
    We're together during uni but in the holidays it becomes a LDR so we do have some form of contact at least once every day...even if it's a short text to see how the other's doing.

He's gone to dubai for christmas holidays so the time difference means we don't talk too often :erm: plus I want him to enjoy his time there instead of talking to me all the time

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I need a beer. A long distance relationship shouldn't affect these things IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Every day if you're serious about it- even if it's just 5 minutes to say goodnight or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    We send a few texts every evening.

ReputationRep:
    When my partner has been abroad we talk daily in one way or another, either over the phone or a video call over the net.

ReputationRep:
    MSN every evening, a few texts during the day quite often. I don't often call her, maybe once every 1-2 weeks. I see her once-twice per term during term time and then quite often in the holidays.

ReputationRep:
    Skype calls 3-5 times a month, talking everyday for a couple of hours at least (usually, though sometimes not at all).
    A few messages most days of the week.

ReputationRep:
    I was in a long term relationship for a few years, and we phoned almost every night for an hour or two.
    He always wanted more, but honestly it got too much for me sometimes. I think it can often end up with more one-on-one conversation than a lot of normal couples engage in on a day-to-day basis, just because on the phone it's purely about the talking and nothing else.

ReputationRep:
    We go on Skype for an hour or so a few times a week (probably would be more but the 8 hour time difference is a bit of a pain) and usually send a few texts or a Facebook message if we're busy.

I much prefer Skype to actual phone calls, it's so much better to be able to see the person in front of you and it makes you feel like they're in the room with you rather than halfway across the world. :^_^:

ReputationRep:
    I talk to my SO almost every day via msn. Sometimes one or two days might go by where ? don't but I know it is because of his work. But he has always come back as long as we've been together.

As for what would be too much, well that can be subjective. Some people might appreciate that their LDR SO wants to tell everything to show how much you mean to them. Others, however might not feel it is needed and might even feel bothered by it, if there was insecurity issues at play.

And what is too little? If one decides the other means that much to them, maybe they will be willing to wait when days turn into weeks, weeks into months before you hear from them again, and with no reason as to their silence , etc. but one has to decide if the LDR other is worth all that. But common sense should tell you that if its been more than one or two weeks with no word as to why, its a safe bet that something has happened and there is no LDR anymore.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.