Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm sure a lot of you can relate to a *****y person like this. Me and my ex broke up after 4 years, he is a compulsive liar and a cheater. We had dreams of moving in together, getting married, but he never changed.

He started going out with someone else, because he's not someone who likes to be alone. He's a bit needy. He always used to come and stay round mine and I used to cook him food like I was his mum and tidy up after him.

A few months ago on our 4th year anniversary we met up , because he'd told me that he'd broken up with his gf cos of me. Anyway we slept together, later I found out that he didn't actually break up with her.

I was so upset, I didn't speak to him for ages. He messaged me several times over several weeks and the other day he told me he still loves me and misses me. Earlier when I asked if he cares about his current gf or if he's just with her for the sake of it, he wouldn't tell me the reason and then after I asked him to several times he said he cares about her a great deal and that yes he likes having someone there and feeling secure.

However, as I mentioned earlier, he cheated on her with me 2 months ago, so obviously he can't care about her that much?

I'm so confused, does he love me, or does he love her?

Also we decided that long distance doesn't work and we were thinking of giving things another go in the summer when we could see each other more...... Why am I even writing this? Because I love him. Sounds insane, and he drives me insane too, but it wasn't all bad. I wish I could just forget him.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it obvious? He doesn't give a **** about either of you. Let him be, get over it and move on.

ReputationRep:
    life>love.
    focus on other important things in life.
    life s too short!

ReputationRep:
    Yup I have an ex like that. He was with me for nearly 3 years, and pretty much the day we split up he was with someone else. He then slept with me and said he was going to leave his (now ex) girlfriend, which he didn't at the time.

You just need to completely cut contact. Delete his number, block his facebook... seriously EVERYTHING. For me it was easier that all my friends instantly stopped talking to him or seeing him too... but not everyone's that lucky. Don't give him a second thought, just try to get on with your own life, and keep yourself busy!

He's not someone who cries. When we met up on our anniversary, it was very emotional and upsetting because we were saying that we couldn't be together. And he was actually crying his eyes out.. I don't think that was fake

ReputationRep:
    He's eating his cake whilst he can.
    Best thing to do is to get yourself a cake too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    He's not someone who cries. When we met up on our anniversary, it was very emotional and upsetting because we were saying that we couldn't be together. And he was actually crying his eyes out.. I don't think that was fake
    My ex cried when he broke up with me. I have a feeling that he was crying because he didn't like the feeling of hurting someone - it wasn't because he loved me or because he didn't want to hurt me.

Think about it that way - if your boyfriend cared for you, if he was a good person, if he truly loved you, he wouldn't be having relations with someone else.

Why do you want someone who does that to you? Why do you want that in your life? You certainly don't deserve to be treated that badly, no one does.

So don't let yourself be fooled into thinking tears=remorse. Because in my experience, they rarely cry out of remorse, but because they're feeling sorry for themselves; not for you.

ReputationRep:
    You've described him as - and I quote - a '****', 'needy', 'cheat' and 'compulsive liar'.

Are you seriously wasting energy on this guy?

ReputationRep:
    Why am I even writing this? Because I love him. Sounds insane, and he drives me insane too, but it wasn't all bad. I wish I could just forget him.
    (Original post by linkdapink)
    Yup I have an ex like that. He was with me for nearly 3 years, and pretty much the day we split up he was with someone else. He then slept with me and said he was going to leave his (now ex) girlfriend, which he didn't at the time.

You just need to completely cut contact. Delete his number, block his facebook... seriously EVERYTHING. For me it was easier that all my friends instantly stopped talking to him or seeing him too... but not everyone's that lucky. Don't give him a second thought, just try to get on with your own life, and keep yourself busy!
    OP you have been relegated to fb status in your ex’s eyes. If you’re not agreeable with that refer to linkdapinks’ advice.

(Original post by trooper6)
    OP you have been relegated to fb status in your ex’s eyes. If you’re not agreeable with that refer to linkdapinks’ advice.
    I tried. I got a new phone number specificially months ago and I have not given it to him. I deleted him off fb. What did he do? He started emailing me! And on gmail there's no way to block emails from a specific address, and I don't want to delete that email ad as a whole anyway as I have important emails on there/might receive important mails in the future.

I have tried, believe me. He'll just text me out of the blue and I'll ignore it most of the time but the time that I don't its when it messes me up and I get really upset and it takes me days to recover from the mess.. just talking about things makes me feel like that.

I know it sounds insane and I don't really know how I could possibly love someone like him. I hate him sometimes for the things he did to me, it's a love hate thing.

He's saying that its possible we could be together in the future, but he's building a relationship with someone else? What does he think relationships are?

I know we couldn't be together at this time as well as I'm doing a masters and as I mentioned we live far away from each other.

It's driving me mad and I really want to tell his now gf what a tosser he is but I know that's not a good idea..

ReputationRep:
    Get over it and move on !

He is an arse and if you give him another chance..you will be an arse too !

ReputationRep:
    He's saying that its possible we could be together in the future, but he's building a relationship with someone else? What does he think relationships are?

I know we couldn't be together at this time as well as I'm doing a masters and as I mentioned we live far away from each other.

It's driving me mad and I really want to tell his now gf what a tosser he is but I know that's not a good idea..
    Right... tomorrow, this guy turns up on your doorstop with flowers. Would you take him back? If not then tell him to stop contacting you and leave you alone or you WILL tell his new girlfriend what he's like and what he's been saying.

If you WOULD take him back... well then tell him that you need your space and you need to get over him. And that if he doesn't want to hurt you any more then he needs to let you go. That's WAY nicer than he deserves though, but if you're still in love with him then you're screwed.

It took me over a year to get over my ex, and that was with very little contact (the contact with did have was usually just me being very angry with him). I really think you need to just tell it to him straight that he needs to leave you alone. The threat is the only way I can see it working really.
    • TSR Support Team

Basically he sees both of you as an easy piece of meat.

ReputationRep:
    He started emailing me! And on gmail there's no way to block emails from a specific address, and I don't want to delete that email ad as a whole anyway as I have important emails on there/might receive important mails in the future.
    I don’t use Gmail but most programs have the junk email option. If it’s an option use it, if not just delete his emails without opening.

ReputationRep:
    he's just using you for your body, move on and find someone who will appreciate you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.