Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. I'm in line to study abroad next year but i've a choice of five Australian universities that I need to put in order of preference. All the rankings seem to put Monash on top but I know rankings aren't everything.

Has anyone any idea about the reputation of these universities or anything that I should know about them?

Griffith University
    La Trobe University
    Monash University
    University of South Australia
    University of New South Wales

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, if you're doing a semester abroad, the ranking of the institution should be the last of your concerns. I spent a semester in the UK and can tell you that what you'll learn from your time away won't come from your academic studies. Choose somewhere that you'll enjoy living. If on-campus accommodation is a priority for you, check out which of the unis you're considering offer it.

Griffith has several campuses, some in outer suburbs of Brisbane and one on the Gold Coast. It has dedicated arts and music campuses in the very centre of Brisbane. I think one or both of the outer Brisbane campuses has some on-campus housing, but otherwise you're likely to be on your own. The Gold Coast campus isn't terribly well served by public transport, so if you want to get out and about you'll be better off with a car.

I studied in Brisbane (though not at Griffith), so can't offer much useful advice about the other universities. But UNSW looks pretty!

You'll have a brilliant time wherever you end up. Feel free to get in touch if you want more information about Brisbane or Australia generally!

ReputationRep:
    La Trobe and Monash are both about an hour outside of the Melbourne CBD by public transport, so if you're into the clubbing scene or nightlife and living on-campus that might be something to consider (public transport doesn't run too often at night here, and you're looking at an expensive taxi fare otherwise).

If you're going to be living in the Melbourne CBD, where lots of private student accomodation is, then it wouldn't be much of a hassle for you to commute to either campus as they're both well served by public transport -- most local students commute to uni, so you'd be in the norm there.

I didn't go to either of these unis, though Monash has the better reputation. I'm too sure on the other unis outside of Victoria, however UNSW is in the Group of Eight (so is Monash), and they're generally regarded as the more prestigious unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glennie)
    Honestly, if you're doing a semester abroad, the ranking of the institution should be the last of your concerns. I spent a semester in the UK and can tell you that what you'll learn from your time away won't come from your academic studies. Choose somewhere that you'll enjoy living. If on-campus accommodation is a priority for you, check out which of the unis you're considering offer it.

Griffith has several campuses, some in outer suburbs of Brisbane and one on the Gold Coast. It has dedicated arts and music campuses in the very centre of Brisbane. I think one or both of the outer Brisbane campuses has some on-campus housing, but otherwise you're likely to be on your own. The Gold Coast campus isn't terribly well served by public transport, so if you want to get out and about you'll be better off with a car.

I studied in Brisbane (though not at Griffith), so can't offer much useful advice about the other universities. But UNSW looks pretty!

You'll have a brilliant time wherever you end up. Feel free to get in touch if you want more information about Brisbane or Australia generally!

That's good advice... I took it and went for UNSW in Sydney but sadly didn't get the place. I did get a place at the University of South Australia in Adelaide though.

Do you know anything about the University of South Australia? Or Adelaide? I know nothing and am trying hard to find out as much as I can so as to know what to expect.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that you didn't get your first choice!

I've only spent a weekend in Adelaide, so probably don't know much more about it than you. But I had a really good time there. The city itself is beautiful (though a lot smaller than Sydney) and the beach is just a short tram ride away. We had a great time at some student bars... I can't remember what they were called now, but my impression was that they were the student bars, so I'm sure you'll stumble into them.

It's a great spot for further travel too. There are wine regions just a short bus ride away and it's even possible to get a bus all the way to Uluru. Cooper Pedy would probably be do-able as well. If you do go to the wine regions, I recommend McLaren Vale - it's small enough that at least some of the wineries (Maxwell in particular) are within walking distance of the centre of town, so you can still see a few places as a student with no car. If you do decide to hire a car, you could drive across the Nullarbor to Perth, or do the Great Ocean Road to Melbourne.

Are you coming during summer? It is notorious for having cracking hot summer days (40 degrees plus), but I'm sure the city will be built for it and it's all part of the experience!

Hope that gives you something to go on, good luck with it all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glennie)
    Sorry to hear that you didn't get your first choice!

I've only spent a weekend in Adelaide, so probably don't know much more about it than you. But I had a really good time there. The city itself is beautiful (though a lot smaller than Sydney) and the beach is just a short tram ride away. We had a great time at some student bars... I can't remember what they were called now, but my impression was that they were the student bars, so I'm sure you'll stumble into them.

It's a great spot for further travel too. There are wine regions just a short bus ride away and it's even possible to get a bus all the way to Uluru. Cooper Pedy would probably be do-able as well. If you do go to the wine regions, I recommend McLaren Vale - it's small enough that at least some of the wineries (Maxwell in particular) are within walking distance of the centre of town, so you can still see a few places as a student with no car. If you do decide to hire a car, you could drive across the Nullarbor to Perth, or do the Great Ocean Road to Melbourne.

Are you coming during summer? It is notorious for having cracking hot summer days (40 degrees plus), but I'm sure the city will be built for it and it's all part of the experience!

Hope that gives you something to go on, good luck with it all!
    Thanks, it sounds good. To be honest i've never lived in a city so I think Sydney might been a bit too much anyway. Wine sounds good and i'm hoping to get a car and travel as you say.

I'm going in July... I don't think it'll be too hot till their summer, though i'll go travelling for their whole summer break. I'm guessing it's unbelievably hot all over Australia in their summer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed_jnr)
    Thanks, it sounds good. To be honest i've never lived in a city so I think Sydney might been a bit too much anyway. Wine sounds good and i'm hoping to get a car and travel as you say.

I'm going in July... I don't think it'll be too hot till their summer, though i'll go travelling for their whole summer break. I'm guessing it's unbelievably hot all over Australia in their summer?
    Pretty much! The summer here in Brisbane has been quite mild until now, but we're now getting days up over 35 degrees (and with wicked humidity). Melbourne and Sydney have both had days above 40 degrees. Their heat is a lot drier and more bearable though. To even things up a little, I heard that Melbourne dropped to 11 degrees today!

If you will have been here since July, then you will have had plenty of time to acclimatise to the weather, so hopefully you won't find it too difficult once summer hits. Most public buildings are air conditioned, so escaping the heat won't be an issue. And you'll get to experience Christmas the "proper" way, in searing heat.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.