Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Priorities When Deciding Which Uni To Choose? Watch

ReputationRep:
    For you personally, was it just how good the uni was and how much you thought you'd like the course there, or were there other influences on your decision? For instance, the location?

What were your priorities in order?

You can include absolutely anything as a priority also, which uni had the nearest KFC, which had a football team, which building looked the nicest, anything that might have influenced YOUR choice.

P.S I ask this because I cam currently deciding which uni to choose.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I think course content and reputation, uni accommodation for the entire degree, bursaries and locations were the main factors.

It wasn't a deciding factor since Manchester was wonderful but too far for me anyway, but I did find it disconcerting that on the open day I couldn't spot a McDonalds to grab my lunch from :p:

ReputationRep:
    I want to be a mathematician, and I have good enough grades to pick from the highest-ranked universities, so I went for the ones with the strongest academic reputations for my course, thinking it would help my future plans. The location was also a big thing; I deliberately chose universities that were at least 2 hours' drive away from where I live. And also, the policies of the universities towards applicants who are like me; I know that Warwick automatically give an offer for maths to anyone who's predicted above AAB, so I applied there so I'd be guaranteed an offer, and I know that UCL like people who have done languages, so I applied there knowing that I'd have an edge on that front.

I don't necessarily buy what everyone around me says about going there and seeing where feels 'right' - I'm so desperate to get out of where I live that anywhere which awards a degree would feel 'right - but it is worth visiting places you're considering, if you can afford to, because that can influence your decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baller D)
    For you personally, was it just how good the uni was and how much you thought you'd like the course there, or were there other influences on your decision? For instance, the location?

What were your priorities in order?

You can include absolutely anything as a priority also, which uni had the nearest KFC, which had a football team, which building looked the nicest, anything that might have influenced YOUR choice.

P.S I ask this because I cam currently deciding which uni to choose.
    'In Clearing' and 'do optometry' narrowed it down a lot, then it came to would I rather go to uni in Cambridge or Bradford...
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Course and reputation of life at that uni (for deciding top 5 unis)
    Feel of City (after going on visit days for deciding which order I ranked my 5 unis)
    Grades Needed (choosing firm and insurance...although this correlated with which I liked more too)

Also I only realised this when I DIDN'T get into my first choice, and ended up at my insurance, a large part of the reason I firmed Newcastle was because my brother is there, and this made me feel safer, as though I would be okay at uni just because he was there! Now I'm having an awesome time at my Insurance (Glasgow) and know that it's all the better for me to have gone to my own city and made my own path! Although it's annoying I can't nip to St James' Park to see the footie...

ReputationRep:
    What course is most appealing to me
    Stuff to do near the university
    Decent accommodation

ReputationRep:
    location - had to be in the south
    look of the uni - had to be a campus and had to be green
    Reputation - decent uni
    accommodation - had to have a decent place to stay
    people - people had to seem nice and friendly

didnt actually look at the psychology department even though it will probably be my firm, but im visiting again soon so i will then

ReputationRep:
    I only applied to one uni as only one uni did a course i wanted to study.
    1) course
    2) rep
    3) uni grounds

then again went through unis by using rank tables so maybe rep should be higher????
    Course vital to me though as i get board easily

Oh...location was also pretty important - I didn't even look at unis you could make a day trip to from home.

ReputationRep:
    gash

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I think course content and reputation, uni accommodation for the entire degree, bursaries and locations were the main factors.

It wasn't a deciding factor since Manchester was wonderful but too far for me anyway, but I did find it disconcerting that on the open day I couldn't spot a McDonalds to grab my lunch from :p:
    Out of interest, how can a uni be too far for you? Because (assuming your home is in the UK) you are never more then a few hours at most away from home anyway. Just wondering.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse)
    Out of interest, how can a uni be too far for you? Because (assuming your home is in the UK) you are never more then a few hours at most away from home anyway. Just wondering.
    I'm a Londoner I'm just quite a home-y person and thus home needed to be within easy and cheap reach. Just doing the drive one way to Manchester made me realise that though it was an amazing course, I wouldn't be comfortable being that far away

ReputationRep:
    course content and area, reputation not so much- the best unis for my course are either single subject institutes, meaning I'd miss out on the cliche 'university experience' or in cities in the middle of nowhere, so I chose the bigger cities with maybe less of a rep for my course so I could get better work experience..

ReputationRep:
    Course
    Facilities/Sports

ReputationRep:
    course content
    to be honest with you thats the only thing I really paid that much attention to.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.