Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Job Opportunities for a 14 Year Old in Essex Watch

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know of any job opportunities for 14 year olds in Essex?

I've contacted companies online asking about vacancies, but I have yet to hear replies as it was only an hour ago. I have also contacted Essex Connexions via email (in August) and they said it was perfectly legal for a child to work as long as they have a work permit and follow the regulations.

I've tried online survey/offer sites and I have found a good one, but I would honestly prefer something more assured and regular.

I want money to be able to afford university fees in the future and be able to (to be honest) afford to give presents to people on their birthdays and Christmas 2011. I know about student loans, but I don't want to stay in a dorm (apparently it's halls in British English, but I prefer the term dorm) for personal reasons so I'd prefer to have a some money (hopefully around £2000 earnt during the next four years, if that's plausible) to be able to rent a flat or something.

I couldn't care less how much it pays, as long as it pays something. I'm desperate, lol. I've only been 'job-seeking' online since August 2010 and I've posted advertisements on Gumtree to no avail. A cleaning or shelf stacking job would be amazing and I can work any day for any amount of hours as long as it's legal for my age.

I am a programmer but I lack the self-motivation to do commissions and the market is currently rather poor in that area. I'm also anxious about the legality of this, following a discussion with my Business Studies teacher about legal issues and parental/adult knowledge/consent (which I don't have and have no intentions of getting, so as to abide by the law, I cannot partake in cash commissions).

Any advice? Sorry if I sounded full of myself there, it wasn't intentional.

I become 15 in March and I am content to wait until then.

ReputationRep:
    Are you not at school?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am in school. However, I have both days free on the weekend and time after school. I live around a thirty minute walk from the town centre, so I wouldn't need to get a bus.

ReputationRep:
    Does your area do paper rounds?

ReputationRep:
    Paper rounds, shelf-stacking, waiting-on etc.

Very few businesses will want to employ a 14yo with no experience and little free time though.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a bike, so I'm not sure if that would lower my chances. I'm willing to walk but that would take considerably longer (a disadvantage to the employer) than cycling.
    There are two local newspapers here, but I'm not sure how to apply for a paper round. Does one apply via the newspaper or a newsagents?
    Sorry about this, I'm still naive about jobs.

I've been looking on the internet for a shelf-stacking/odd jobs vacancy, but I don't think that it's the sort of job that will be advertised online. I guess I should print off my CV and the permit forms then walk to town sometime after New Year. Unless anyone knows of any small businesses that are looking for an assistant/cleaner?
    Any time that I'm not in school is free time for me. I spend all my time on the internet or lazing around. :P But I understand about school taking up around eight hours of every weekday.
    Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Go into the newsagents and ask for a round if possible. You're not gonna have to do a formal interview...

You could try becoming one of these

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Grace2011)
      Does anyone know of any job opportunities for 14 year olds in Essex?

I've contacted companies online asking about vacancies, but I have yet to hear replies as it was only an hour ago. I have also contacted Essex Connexions via email (in August) and they said it was perfectly legal for a child to work as long as they have a work permit and follow the regulations.

I've tried online survey/offer sites and I have found a good one, but I would honestly prefer something more assured and regular.

I want money to be able to afford university fees in the future and be able to (to be honest) afford to give presents to people on their birthdays and Christmas 2011. I know about student loans, but I don't want to stay in a dorm (apparently it's halls in British English, but I prefer the term dorm) for personal reasons so I'd prefer to have a some money (hopefully around £2000 earnt during the next four years, if that's plausible) to be able to rent a flat or something.

I couldn't care less how much it pays, as long as it pays something. I'm desperate, lol. I've only been 'job-seeking' online since August 2010 and I've posted advertisements on Gumtree to no avail. A cleaning or shelf stacking job would be amazing and I can work any day for any amount of hours as long as it's legal for my age.

I am a programmer but I lack the self-motivation to do commissions and the market is currently rather poor in that area. I'm also anxious about the legality of this, following a discussion with my Business Studies teacher about legal issues and parental/adult knowledge/consent (which I don't have and have no intentions of getting, so as to abide by the law, I cannot partake in cash commissions).

Any advice? Sorry if I sounded full of myself there, it wasn't intentional.

I become 15 in March and I am content to wait until then.
      To be fair - I doubt you'll get a job within say retail at the age of 14 or even 15, unless you have connections?

Also for a proper proper job you'll need your NI (National Insurance) number which you get at the age of 16/late 15 (when I got mine).

Its good at this age, you wanna get a job but the only jobs I see you being able to get (if that) are cash in hand sort of jobs such as what the others have suggested paper rounds etc. What about local restaurants /local self established shops etc?

ReputationRep:
      Thanks for your help.
      I'll definitely look into getting a paper round and I'll keep looking for any smaller shops when I next go to town.
      Would they have a help wanted sign on their window or should I go inside and ask?

Unfortunately I have no connections whatsoever. I don't know whether the careers office in my school would be able to help me, but they'd probably tell me that I'm too young to earn money and I should concentrate on my studies.

ReputationRep:
      Temptation to stereotype Essex girls rising... rising...

ReputationRep:
      http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/home...cb4225ce&pid=3

ReputationRep:
      I've looked at around seven job sites so far and optimistically sent my CV off. I don't expect to get a reply, but there's no harm in trying. ^^
      I haven't seen Directgov yet, thank you.
      [e] I've just seen a lot of cleaner jobs there. I'll look at them now.

ReputationRep:
      Start up yourt own business. Despite what they said about work permits, no big company is going to be comfortable hiring a 14 year old to work for them. You'd only be allowed to work very limited hours and your pay would be crap. It's three pound something an hour for under 18s. Not worth it.

Start a business doing old peoples shopping or something

ReputationRep:
      I don't know how I would be able to do that as I don't know anyone outside of my family and school...
      There's also the fact that most businesses need money to set up. It's a very good idea, however, and you don't get anywhere by sitting around and doing nothing (all I've done since August was casually search online). I wonder how I'd get publicity. (:

I started a website which I had hoped to monetise via gWallet, but as with the programming commissions, I'm not entirely certain if it's legal at my age. I highly doubt it would be an imprisonable offense, but I can't afford to pay a fine and I doubt I'd be the one getting into trouble for it. It's not difficult for people to find my age via my website and google... and I'd feel guilty if I was to break the law.

Three pound an hour is better than nothing. Shops don't give out their stock for free, and even with a student loan, university isn't going to be cheap.
      £5 a week for cleaning or delivering papers would be amazing for me.

ReputationRep:
      Good luck finding a place to rent for three years with £2000. Then, if you are British then please use our language accordingly, or move across the Atlantic. Thirdly, if you do find a job, let me know so I can kill myself. I've got good qualifications, am 19 and I can't find anything.

£2000 will get you nothing in terms of a flat for uni or whatever. You may as well go to the uni that's closest to you, and live at home. To earn the sort of money you'll need to pay off everything yourself, you'll need to start skipping school a lot (remember, no minimum wage for informal labour), and then you definitely won't be getting the grades you need to get into uni.

Short answer: it's a bad idea. You have no idea what you're trying to get into. The government will pay for uni, just take it.

ReputationRep:
        To be fair, you could easily exceed your aim of getting £2k by just working hard the summer before uni.

Working 38 - 40 hours a week for 4 weeks in summer (after exams), you can easily earn yourself at least £1k within a month, providing your on £7 min per hour.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Grace2011)
        I don't know how I would be able to do that as I don't know anyone outside of my family and school...
        There's also the fact that most businesses need money to set up. It's a very good idea, however, and you don't get anywhere by sitting around and doing nothing (all I've done since August was casually search online). I wonder how I'd get publicity. (:

I started a website which I had hoped to monetise via gWallet, but as with the programming commissions, I'm not entirely certain if it's legal at my age. I highly doubt it would be an imprisonable offense, but I can't afford to pay a fine and I doubt I'd be the one getting into trouble for it. It's not difficult for people to find my age via my website and google... and I'd feel guilty if I was to break the law.

Three pound an hour is better than nothing. Shops don't give out their stock for free, and even with a student loan, university isn't going to be cheap.
        £5 a week for cleaning or delivering papers would be amazing for me.
        University will work out at about £7.50 a month, and that's when you're earning £21,000+.

7.50 \times 12 = 90

21,000 - 90 = 20,910 - Oh no, the horror of spending oh so much...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.