Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Wearing Band T-Shirts on A Night Out (As A Conversation Starter) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey do you think wearing a t-shirt with a band on is good as a conversation on a night out? (with the opposite sex, or same depending on your orientation) do you do it? would you go up to someone who has a band you like on their t-shirt? (mainly interested in seeing if girls would go up to guys more often if this was introduced)

I saw this as I find the hardest part of talking to a girl on a night out to be the starting conversation. If you have a band you both like printed on your chest you can surely just talk about that! and she may even come up to you first?

Yes? No? what's your opinionionionion?

ReputationRep:
    Not really. I wear band tees nearly all the time (admittedly not on nights out, but a good chunk of the time where people have full view of it) and it's never been a conversation starter.

Maybe nobody likes the bands I like? :nopity:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I did this when I started uni.

It worked

I think you can sometimes tell a lot about a person by the kind of music they're into, or at least it's something in common and a starting point.

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure the band's masculine enough.

ReputationRep:
    I should probably do this. I'm never sure what clubs will let you wear though, I've heard some are pretty fussy about dress codes. Also in a club it's so hard to actually get a conversation going! But I often wear band tshirts to try and find kindred spirits! A lot of my favourite bands and musicians don't seem to do t-shirts though - at least, I've never seen a Nick Drake one!

ReputationRep:
    I where band t shirts to clubs all time, so I don't think that'd be an issue. I don't get many comments, someone congratulated me on my Doors tee once though.

Edit: Also don't wear t-shirts of bands you don't listen to, that's lame.

ReputationRep:
    I would go up to someone, particularly if it wasn't a mainstream band..

ReputationRep:
    I do this all the time but it never works and instead I very rarely get let into places. Does nobody like Gary Glitter these days?

ReputationRep:
    One day I will see a man in a Beck shirt. And I will sex that man right up.

ReputationRep:
    My Leeds Festival wrist band thing has often started conversations. Its been with guys every time though :doh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyRodent)
    My Leeds Festival wrist band thing has often started conversations. Its been with guys every time though :doh:
    It's worse when you strike up a conversation with a girl about it (or this happens with guys too actually, I have a Reading Festival wristband to note) and you mention how awesome Queens of the Stone Age were and they look at you with a vacant stare!!!!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    If I saw a girl wearing a teeshirt of a band I really liked then yes, I would say something - my tastes are obscure/refined enough for me to be able to get along with most people who like similar music.

tbh I'd probably let out a little cry of joy if I saw a girl wearing a wishbone ash, ensiferum or equilibrium teeshirt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeySherlock)
    It's worse when you strike up a conversation with a girl about it (or this happens with guys too actually, I have a Reading Festival wristband to note) and you mention how awesome Queens of the Stone Age were and they look at you with a vacant stare!!!!!
    If they didn't watch Queens of the stone Age then the conversation must end.

ReputationRep:
    yay, last month i had a chat with someone wearing the xx tshirt in a club

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nChar)
    Isomeone congratulated me on my Doors tee once though.
    aw. i would do that as well, they are fabulous.

ReputationRep:
    I can imagine wearing a Beatles T-Shirt and some muppet coming along and saying summin along the lines of "Yeah, I really like Hey Jude but they're a bit overrated aren't they?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fred Ivanovic)
    I do this all the time but it never works and instead I very rarely get let into places. Does nobody like Gary Glitter these days?
    You joke, but I listened to Do You Wanna Touch Me like ten times this past couple of days, it's so catchy!

In answer to the OP, I would if it was a night specifically geared around 70s/80s music, because then I could probably count on us having a lot of other bands in common (and they'd probably appreciate my style/hair more), but if I was somewhere like...I dunno 5th Ave (you Manc people know what I mean) and I saw someone in an Adam & The Ants t-shirt for example, I wouldn't approach them to admire it because it'd be much harder to guess what they were like etc, even with the t-shirt, and it could end badly.

(that all possibly sounds quite nonsensical but I know what I mean)

ReputationRep:
    Works for me. Girl started a conversation with me about my Nine Inch Nails top. Not on a night out though, doesn't seem right.

ReputationRep:
    I've been congratulated twice on my London Calling T-shirt but unfortunately they were both by drunk middle-aged man, both times desperate to tell me about the time they saw The Clash in Brixton...

ReputationRep:
    Is your surname smith?

Edit: I wore my my chemical romance hoodie to kent university once, I thought i'd get hate on it, but people seemed to really like my hoodie.Which is kinda weird, because all people do on tsr, is take the pisss out of them. Weirdly enough, everytime I do wear my mcr hoodie, i get positive comments on it. I also get stalked too. :lolwut:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.