The Student Room Group

Are there any truly 'bad' universities in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wookie42
Staffs have been running computing courses for a looong time. Good department there for CS and such. Thing is though, if they really were that good they would be higher up the rankings as both a uni and more importantly a department. I know tables aren't everything, but it does make you wonder what's really going on.

That's a good point. When I went to Stafford, I saw that they now also have "mickey mouse" courses in the department, such as Media studies. There is also the fact that CS requires quite a lot of maths(whereas networking doesn't-well not that much) The entry requirements are around 240-280 UCAS points. This may mean that a lot of people in the department aren't too clued up on their Maths(though for my Maths grade, Im blaming management as well as myself)

That said, they are probably one of the best universities in the country to study networking, if they have received this equipment from Cisco. Cisco's biggest links in the UK are focused in three universities(not to say that they don't have links at other universities) These are(I think) Birmingham, Birmingham City(yes ex poly etc...) and Stafford(again, an ex poly)

Also, I didn't realise that Northumbria was that bad until I read through this thread. I applied there to do CS/networking, but a couple of weeks after my application was sent off I had a re-look at the modules and the modules weren't really reflective of the course. I will not be accepting them lol(despite having the conditional)

Oh, and it is now below 50 on the leagues tables, however they are still a good choice for wanting to start a networking career
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by de_monies
When I went to Stafford, I saw that they now also have "mickey mouse" courses in the department, such as Media studies.

I hate to worry you but so do Oxford and Cambridge:-

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/postgraduate_courses/course_guide/film_aesthetics.html

http://www.screenmedia.group.cam.ac.uk/
Well, at any rate they are fantastic for the course I'm doing with them, even if they fail in other parts of the department. Also, there's my comment about the probability of low maths scores, with the entry requirements
Reply 243

Don't forget BA Fine Art at Oxford lololol
Original post by Kerny
Don't forget BA Fine Art at Oxford lololol

No such degree.

Oxford gives a Bachelor of Fine Art (BFA) to fine art graduates and until very recently it was a pass degree not an honours degree.
This forum posts so much crap it's unbelievable! If anyone looked at actual statistics, they would know that most of the universities at the top have totally undeserved reputations! For example Mathematics at Cambridge, a course bandied about here as being one of the most prestigious, according to unistats, average UCAS points entry for Cambridge mathematics was 570 ( + 1,1 in STEP II, III), and the degree results were 29% Firsts, 41% 2.1, 20% 2.2 and 10% 3rd/fail.

Yet, University of Greenwich (derided as an ex-poly) the average entry points is 240, yet the degree results are 55%Firsts, 30% 2.1, 10% 2.2 and 5%3rd/fail. From this, we can see that Greenwich maths department is taking lower quality entrants and turning them into better quality grads with better results, obviously showing reputation means nothing, and that people should be looking elsewhere for top quality degrees.
Original post by Nichrome
This forum posts so much crap it's unbelievable! If anyone looked at actual statistics, they would know that most of the universities at the top have totally undeserved reputations! For example Mathematics at Cambridge, a course bandied about here as being one of the most prestigious, according to unistats, average UCAS points entry for Cambridge mathematics was 570 ( + 1,1 in STEP II, III), and the degree results were 29% Firsts, 41% 2.1, 20% 2.2 and 10% 3rd/fail.

Yet, University of Greenwich (derided as an ex-poly) the average entry points is 240, yet the degree results are 55%Firsts, 30% 2.1, 10% 2.2 and 5%3rd/fail. From this, we can see that Greenwich maths department is taking lower quality entrants and turning them into better quality grads with better results, obviously showing reputation means nothing, and that people should be looking elsewhere for top quality degrees.

:facepalm:

1st Greenwich Maths =/= 1st Cambridge Maths

That just shows you how difficult it is to attain a 1st at Cambridge Maths and it's of a reputable quality seeing as students have to do STEP before they are admitted (which I doubt Greenwich graduates could even do).

What an insult to Cambridge to even compare the two courses. :lolwut:

Just look at the course content for God's sake.
Reply 248
Original post by Diminutive
Because it has an average entry requirement of 180 ucas points. Garbage in, Garbage out. Simples.

I agree.
Original post by im so academic
1st Greenwich Maths =/= 1st Cambridge Maths

That just shows you how difficult it is to attain a 1st at Cambridge Maths and it's of a reputable quality seeing as students have to do STEP before they are admitted (which I doubt Greenwich graduates could even do).

What an insult to Cambridge to even compare the two courses. :lolwut:

Just look at the course content for God's sake.

Just cos Cambridge learns it faster, doesn't mean they are any better at it. That is just an example of one module (which is pretty similar to the first year analysis and vectors and matrices courses at Cambridge I might add), the material gets a lot more advanced later on.

As we all know, the QAA and other external examiners regulate exams across the country so all students who get a particular grade (first/2.1/2.2 etc) are the same standard, therefore a first is a first wherever you go. Greenwich are clearly exceptionally good at teaching mathematics, Cambridge might be good at researching, but they are producing some lousy grads :lol:

Just cos Cambridge learns it faster, doesn't mean they are any better at it. That is just an example of one module (which is pretty similar to the first year analysis and vectors and matrices courses at Cambridge I might add), the material gets a lot more advanced later on.

As we all know, the QAA and other external examiners regulate exams across the country so all students who get a particular grade (first/2.1/2.2 etc) are the same standard, therefore a first is a first wherever you go. Greenwich are clearly exceptionally good at teaching mathematics, Cambridge might be good at researching, but they are producing some lousy grads :lol:

:facepalm2:

In that case, why don't all mathematics students aspire to go to Greenwich?

Out of interest, where are those figures from
Original post by dnumberwang
Out of interest, where are those figures from

www.unistats.com

Sarcasm?

Because seriously... you cannot compare getting a First in Cambridge maths to a First in Greenwich maths. They don't sit the same exams.
Reply 254

Troll, nobody is this retarded
Original post by Jonty99
Sarcasm?

Because seriously... you cannot compare getting a First in Cambridge maths to a First in Greenwich maths. They don't sit the same exams.

So? As I mentioned in the post above, all the exams sat are regulated by external examiners from the QAA. This means that the criteria for each grade is the same across ALL UK universities, therefore a 1st from Cambridge = 1st from Greenwich. I've heard many academics comment on the difficulty of Greenwhich papers, so I'm fully content the academic standard is as high there as anywhere.

Sweet Jesus.

Do you actually believe what you have written in this post, or are you actually this stupid?
Original post by Bobifier
Sweet Jesus.

Do you actually believe what you have written in this post, or are you actually this stupid?

Stupid? You can't argue with cold hard stats bro. Why don't universities specifiy universities that are acceptable on entry requirements for postgrad courses. Because all the degrees are worth the same. Only a tiny amount (7%) of misguided employers use where you got your degree from to discriminate candidates also. If you had two applicants for a mathematics MSc/PhD, one with a 1st from Greenwich and one with a 2.2 from Cambridge who are they going to choose? The first class every time mate.
Stupid? You can't argue with cold hard stats bro. Why don't universities specifiy universities that are acceptable on entry requirements for postgrad courses. Because all the degrees are worth the same. Only a tiny amount (7%) of misguided employers use where you got your degree from to discriminate candidates also. If you had two applicants for a mathematics MSc/PhD, one with a 1st from Greenwich and one with a 2.2 from Cambridge who are they going to choose? The first class every time mate.

Posters in this thread have collectively identified you as a retard. From now I choose to shun you, and I am happy for anyone else to join me in my shunning of the retard.
Original post by Bobifier
Posters in this thread have collectively identified you as a retard. From now I choose to shun you, and I am happy for anyone else to join me in my shunning of the retard.

It's much more fun to hurl abuse though, surely?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending