Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

opinions needed! Watch

• View Poll Results: Is the English language sexist?
    yes
    40.00%
    no
    10.00%
    don't know/don't care
    30.00%
    other
    20.00%

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my A2 coursework for english language and I need you opinions on the topic.
    "Is the English language sexist?"
    I'm just gathering data, but feel free to have a debate if you feel so inclinde
    please, please, PLEASE leave your opinions, be it a simple yes or no, or a extensive argument based on your opinions, please.

thank you in advance to those who choose to leave their feelings on the subject on this thread.
    x

ReputationRep:
    **** OFF, the English Language is not sexist, people's use of the English language and the connotations people associate with certain words can make it appear to be angled sexistly though... you dirty *****.

ReputationRep:
    Less so than German I suppose. "Mann" (man) and "man" (someone) sound exactly the same. There was even a movement sometime to say "Frau" (woman) instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melanie-v)
    Less so than German I suppose. "Mann" (man) and "man" (someone) sound exactly the same. There was even a movement sometime to say "Frau" (woman) instead.

I know it's definatly more gender neutral than other european languages, I.e.
    In English after a marriage the couple become "husband" and "wife" instead of "man" and "woman", In French and Spanish after marriage the couple become "husband" and "woman", the term "woman" applies to both a single and a married female.
    Is it the same for german ?
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballsack)
    **** OFF, the English Language is not sexist, people's use of the English language and the connotations people associate with certain words can make it appear to be angled sexistly though... you dirty *****.

well, intresting. First answer that will be in the refrence section
    thanks for answering.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting thread - subscribed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenie_mcgee)
    I know it's definatly more gender neutral than other european languages, I.e.
    In English after a marriage the couple become "husband" and "wife" instead of "man" and "woman", In French and Spanish after marriage the couple become "husband" and "woman", the term "woman" applies to both a single and a married female.
    Is it the same for german ?
    x
    Yes, it is. "Mann und Frau".

Maybe think about the titles etc. that just exist in one gender. (ie. 'nurse' is automatically female unless otherwise specified :shrug: just a random thought)

I suppose it reflects attitudes in society to some extent, but some things are just very entrenched in the language.

ReputationRep:
    Also, what about word pairs where the male version has positive connotations and the female version has negative connotations? For example, 'bachelor' and 'spinster'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenie_mcgee)
    I'm doing my A2 coursework for english language and I need you opinions on the topic.
    "Is the English language sexist?"
    I'm just gathering data, but feel free to have a debate if you feel so inclinde
    please, please, PLEASE leave your opinions, be it a simple yes or no, or a extensive argument based on your opinions, please.

thank you in advance to those who choose to leave their feelings on the subject on this thread.
    x
    Stuff like "Did you smash it?", care of the knuckledraggers at Sky Sports, and the lexical asymmetry between words for men and words for women would suggest that it's used in a sexist way or has developed to reflect historically dominant, sexist attitudes. But is the language sexist? Probably not.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.