10%
don't know/don't care (3)
30%
other (2)
20%
teenie_mcgee
Badges: 4
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm doing my A2 coursework for english language and I need you opinions on the topic.
"Is the English language sexist?"
I'm just gathering data, but feel free to have a debate if you feel so inclinde
please, please, PLEASE leave your opinions, be it a simple yes or no, or a extensive argument based on your opinions, please.

thank you in advance to those who choose to leave their feelings on the subject on this thread.
x
ballsack
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
**** OFF, the English Language is not sexist, people's use of the English language and the connotations people associate with certain words can make it appear to be angled sexistly though... you dirty *****.
Melanie-v
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Less so than German I suppose. "Mann" (man) and "man" (someone) sound exactly the same. There was even a movement sometime to say "Frau" (woman) instead.
teenie_mcgee
(Original post by Melanie-v)
Less so than German I suppose. "Mann" (man) and "man" (someone) sound exactly the same. There was even a movement sometime to say "Frau" (woman) instead.

I know it's definatly more gender neutral than other european languages, I.e.
In English after a marriage the couple become "husband" and "wife" instead of "man" and "woman", In French and Spanish after marriage the couple become "husband" and "woman", the term "woman" applies to both a single and a married female.
Is it the same for german ?
x
teenie_mcgee
(Original post by ballsack)
**** OFF, the English Language is not sexist, people's use of the English language and the connotations people associate with certain words can make it appear to be angled sexistly though... you dirty *****.

well, intresting. First answer that will be in the refrence section
thanks for answering.
DarkSenrine
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Interesting thread - subscribed
Melanie-v
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by teenie_mcgee)
I know it's definatly more gender neutral than other european languages, I.e.
In English after a marriage the couple become "husband" and "wife" instead of "man" and "woman", In French and Spanish after marriage the couple become "husband" and "woman", the term "woman" applies to both a single and a married female.
Is it the same for german ?
x
Yes, it is. "Mann und Frau".

Maybe think about the titles etc. that just exist in one gender. (ie. 'nurse' is automatically female unless otherwise specified :shrug: just a random thought)

I suppose it reflects attitudes in society to some extent, but some things are just very entrenched in the language.
whatsername2009
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Also, what about word pairs where the male version has positive connotations and the female version has negative connotations? For example, 'bachelor' and 'spinster'.
merkatron
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by teenie_mcgee)
I'm doing my A2 coursework for english language and I need you opinions on the topic.
"Is the English language sexist?"
I'm just gathering data, but feel free to have a debate if you feel so inclinde
please, please, PLEASE leave your opinions, be it a simple yes or no, or a extensive argument based on your opinions, please.

thank you in advance to those who choose to leave their feelings on the subject on this thread.
x
Stuff like "Did you smash it?", care of the knuckledraggers at Sky Sports, and the lexical asymmetry between words for men and words for women would suggest that it's used in a sexist way or has developed to reflect historically dominant, sexist attitudes. But is the language sexist? Probably not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (105)
17.65%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
27.39%
Not great so far... (212)
35.63%
I want to drop out! (115)
19.33%

Watched Threads