Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Are there any current medicine students or people hoping to study medicine in the future who would be able to help me by asking a few questions about the increased tuition fees?
    I am a journalism student writing a feature about the increased tuition fees and how they will affect medicine in the future.
    Your time would be a great help

ReputationRep:
    Left-------------middle earth-----------------------------------------------------------------------Right

where does your publisher stand

ReputationRep:
    "OOOOOOh let's make a make a thread about medicine students"

Lucky smart ****s!

So you're doing medecine so what! I'm smart, I can count, 1,2,4,5,9 see so what!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Attlee_party)
    "OOOOOOh let's make a make a thread about medicine students"

Lucky smart ****s!

So you're doing medecine so what! I'm smart, I can count, 1,2,4,5,9 see so what!
    I think the point revolves around one of the following- medicine is tabulated to become the most (one of the most) expensive degrees. Medicine had had, till now, 100% job security. Medicine and government are, inasmuch as the NHS is to the government, linked.

ReputationRep:
    As its for a uni assignment its very middle field and will be looking mainly at how the increased tuition fees may change medicine in the future.

ReputationRep:
    How is this going to affect less advantaged people?
    The way I see it, it'll become the elitist undergraduate course that it used to be before the New Labour party came into power. As a cynic, it'll also reduce competition for the places, both because of numbers decreasing, and also due to the fact the some very smart people will miss out, even if the government have set up an organisation to deal with the unfairness(a big waste, in my opinion). Even now, Oxbridge took in only 7 black students in 2009 combined. What's going to happen with the ever-increasing cuts now?
    And what's supposed to be the light at the end of the tunnel? When is the next boom predicted to occur?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the massive rant. :3

ReputationRep:
    You might get better responses if you put this under the medicine subforum.

ReputationRep:
    don't know too much about the increased tuition fees as i study in scotland so my fees are paid for me, but basically, people from less 'privileged' backgrounds will be less likely to be able to apply for the course, making it more open to those from middle/upper class backgrounds.

personally i think it's important that the career has a mixture of working/middle/upper class doctors, as when you think about it the people we will be treating will themselves come from a variety of backgrounds.

the availability of the career path to people from lower income families also prevents the ridiculous feeling of superiority that loads of medical students go into medical school with too

ReputationRep:
    Well the questions are basically just looking at what effect the raised tuition fees will have on medicine:

1. With medical students facing £70,000 debt at the end of their 5 years, do you think this will affect who applies to do a medical degree?
    (i.e. will those from poorer backgrounds (despite their grades and potential) still apply to study medicine?)

2. Due to the large debt that these medical students will face, how do you think the NHS will be affected in later years? Will they be able to afford these new doctors? (will the NHS in the long run be affected?)

3. For current medical student- Would you have gone into medicine still if you had faced £70,000 debt?

What I ultimately need is quotes from medical students and those hoping to do medicine to put in my feature as it is something that is affecting them. Its not going to be published but your answers will be a massive help
    Thankyou for the answers already gguys

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.