Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Berlin- places to visit/hostels etc? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I am going to Berlin on the 19th january till saturday the 22nd. Just wondering if there are any places you advise going to?/good but fairly cheap hostels? near to schoenberg airport.
    Im so worried about how cold its going to be eeeek!

Thanks! xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meow13meow)
    Hey

I am going to Berlin on the 19th january till saturday the 22nd. Just wondering if there are any places you advise going to?/good but fairly cheap hostels? near to schoenberg airport.

Thanks! xxx
    Hey.
    From what I remember Schoenberg airport is quite far away from the centre of Berlin being atleast a 30 min train journey into the city. Although travel is really cheap,ideally you want to be as close to the centre as possible as it makes sightseeing easier.

We originally stayed in a really drab hostel quite far out - there literally was no one there so we switched to The Generator hostel http://www.generatorhostels.com/en/berlin, which was fantastic as it was really lively (we met some great people from all over the world) and it was only a few tram stops away from the Brandenburg Gate and other stuff.

Whilst I was there, I went on a free walking tour (if you speak to someone in your hostel they'll help plan it for you...) It was really good, and informative and we got to see all the sights of Berlin.

Again, if you speak to the people in your hostel, they'll be able to recommend some nightlife to you. They told us to go to this AMAZING bar which was like a beach inside, unfortunatly I cant remember what it was called (probably due to me being slightly drunk ) which is a shame as i REALLY want to go back...! Berlin's nightlife is amazing, you wont be dissapointed!

I'm so jealous, Berlin is a great city, the best i've ever been to!

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Thanks! xxx
    Hey
    I went to Berlin a couple of years ago with friends and we stayed here:
    http://www.baxpax.de/downtown/en/home/
    Really nice, friendly, clean hostel, good breakfast and they let us in at 4.30am with a nice smile aha!
    It's close to the centre of Berlin too and not hard to get to from the airport as it's close to an U-Bahn station!

I loved Berlin, absolutely amazing city, cannot wait to go back next year!
    We went to Checkpoint Charlie, East Side Gallery, many different museums, Berliner Dom, among many others! There is lots to see!
    Hope you have a super time! x

ReputationRep:
    If you're into reggae, go to the yaam (it's a club, I suppose). There's the Dom, the Wall museum, Checkpoint Charlie etc. on the cultural side of things. Shopping - there's Nike town and loads of others. I used to love sitting on the top floor of the KDW, but it can be kind of expensive.

ReputationRep:
    The Generator is a brilliant hostel, I've stayed there twice, it's in a really good position in the city as well.
    Obviously visit the Brandenburg Gate, the main bit of the wall that's still up, the Reichstag, the Tiergarten is lovely, the Holocaust memorial, the Olympic Stadium, the DDR museum is fun.
    The best nights out I've had in Berlin have been at Kaffee Burger, if you're luckily enough to be there when the Russian Disco is on, it is amazing.

ReputationRep:
    I too stayed at Generator, it was class, very laid back, eager to help us find clubs etc

We went to the cultural stuff during the day; Bernauer Strasse is good for the museum about the wall there and obviously Checkpoint Charlie is fantastic. If you can get into the Reichstag it's really interesting, though a demon to get into in the first place; our German assistant got us in via her local MP (equivalent),

As far as clubs, Tresor is in a disused prison, it's actually insane, in the truest sense of the word. We also went to Cafe Zapata on Oranienburgerstrasse. It's probably the best place we went while we were there; summed up in "Flame-throwing dragon sculture at the bar...".

I'm very jealous of you- Berlin is the coolest city I've ever been to In addition, see if you can get the three day transport ticket; it got us everywhere for 25 Euro and the U-Bahn, S-Bahn, Tram etc are too good not to use.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that the sausage museum near Checkpoint Charlie is a good laugh.

The best thing you can do with the cold temperatures in Germany is to take thermals and wear lots of layers cos it does get pretty cold. Also invest in some shoes with a good grip if you can, although places should be well gritted.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys! i shall look at the generator hostel place, although Davids cosy backpacker hostel is tempting with nights from £2.67 or something ridiculous! xxx

ReputationRep:
    I have been living there for 22 years. I would strongly recommend the "Fernsehturm". There is a nice restaurant at the top of it. you can sit there and have a cup of coffee and some cake and the top moves while you are sittiing there. so that you can see the skyline. it is very nice in the dark.

unfortunately the tower is overcrowded by masses of tourists. but you can avoid waiting. do the online reservation for the restaurant and print it out. with the printed reservation you can go directly to the check-out. but that is unknown to tourists. they spend hours waiting. so try that. show your registration and avoid waiting. the restaurant closes at 11 in the night so that you can go to a nice bar afterwards.

the beach bar I know is called coco jungle at Sehnefelder Platz. But there are some others around Frankfurter Allee.

Berlin is lovely and worth a visit. It is affordable, too. but extremely cold in winter as it was mentioned before.

ReputationRep:
    I stopped in Jetpack Alternative in Kreuzberg, which was pretty awesome (free food, generous dorms and beds, great facilities - they even have an ipod dock in every room and - much less importantly - an xbox) and its in a good location. Everybody knows Kreuzberg is the coolest district of Berlin. The group of people there at the time I stopped there was awesome and I'm still in touch with a few people I met there. The owner Neo has a sick taste in music as well, so I always kicked off my day with some quality music before heading out. Can't recommend the place highly enough. Definitely one of the best hostels I stopped at during my few months travelling throughout Europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cynthi007)
    I have been living there for 22 years. I would strongly recommend the "Fernsehturm". There is a nice restaurant at the top of it. you can sit there and have a cup of coffee and some cake and the top moves while you are sittiing there. so that you can see the skyline. it is very nice in the dark.

unfortunately the tower is overcrowded by masses of tourists. but you can avoid waiting. do the online reservation for the restaurant and print it out. with the printed reservation you can go directly to the check-out. but that is unknown to tourists. they spend hours waiting. so try that. show your registration and avoid waiting. the restaurant closes at 11 in the night so that you can go to a nice bar afterwards.

the beach bar I know is called coco jungle at Sehnefelder Platz. But there are some others around Frankfurter Allee.

Berlin is lovely and worth a visit. It is affordable, too. but extremely cold in winter as it was mentioned before.

OMG YES. The beach bar I went to was Coco Jungle. Thank you SO much. +rep!

ReputationRep:
    sry, but i think you mean airport schönefeld. in schöneberg there isnt an airport

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Scout.)
    OMG YES. The beach bar I went to was Coco Jungle. Thank you SO much. +rep!
    funny. the world is so small sometimes. berlin has so many bars and we both share the same one as our favourite. I love this place. happy hour is from 18:00 to 20:00 and from 2:00 to 3:00 at night. :-)

I am surprised that tourists know that location because it is a bit hidden I think. But you have a good taste my dear. :-)

thanks for the rep. :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oivil)
    sry, but i think you mean airport schönefeld. in schöneberg there isnt an airport
    bean counter.... :-P

I would alwys recommend airport Schönefeld because it is easier to go to the center. the "s-bahn" is directly at the airport hall.

schöneberg is a kind of bar district there. like Prenzlauer Berg.

tourists may also like the "Kulturbrauerei" at Prenzlauer Berg. But I would prefer the Coco Jungle. :-) best thing is that there are buses the whole night so that you can go everywhere you want to whenever you want to. the "Nachtbus" is a bit overcrowded sometimes but only a few German cities have a system to travel the whole night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cynthi007)
    bean counter.... :-P

I would alwys recommend airport Schönefeld because it is easier to go to the center. the "s-bahn" is directly at the airport hall.

schöneberg is a kind of bar district there. like Prenzlauer Berg.

tourists may also like the "Kulturbrauerei" at Prenzlauer Berg. But I would prefer the Coco Jungle. :-) best thing is that there are buses the whole night so that you can go everywhere you want to whenever you want to. the "Nachtbus" is a bit overcrowded sometimes but only a few German cities have a system to travel the whole night.
    hiiii

So buses run really late? for instance if i wanted to get back to generator hostel from Coco Jungle after midnight would that be possible? also do you know what the difference between S bahn and the other one U bahn?

Thanks for your advice/help guys xxx

ReputationRep:
    hiiii

So buses run really late? for instance if i wanted to get back to generator hostel from Coco Jungle after midnight would that be possible? also do you know what the difference between S bahn and the other one U bahn?

Thanks for your advice/help guys xxx
    there is a generator to ask for routes to go. www.bvg.de --> fahrplanauskunft

s bahn is just another route and looks a bit diiferent. it is red. ubahn goes on the underground and has different routes.

there is the N5 Nachtbus from Alexanderplatz but try to search it on the BVG site. It is the site for public transport.

if you have msn you can add me to help you with questions on Berlin. :-) [email protected]

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.