Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I know of iPhone, blackberry, htc and windows phone, am I missing any?

What is the best way to decide which to get? Are there any sites that can help?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, well really they're split into four camps, and you've got them slightly mixed there.

Iphone - All made by Apple. A few handsets but only ever one "current" handset.
    Blackberry - All made by RIM. Multiple handsets and multiple current ones.
    Windows - Different handsets made by various manufacturers, including HTC. Recently released v7 which is about 80bn x better than 6.5 was.
    Android - Different handsets made by various manufacturers, again, including HTC, Motorola, Samsung, basically everyone under the sun except Nokia these days.

So from there you can do a wee bit more research, but "HTC" isn't a smart phone per se - they make a bunch of different ones, with totally different operating systems. And all this is without considering the more proprietary ones, like Nokia's BB-like handsets which run Symbian like the E71.

ReputationRep:
    iPhone - if you want to have a smartphone, butcould do with it being hugely simplified and restrictive
    Blackberry - If you have lots of friends with Blackberrys
    Windows - Until it establishes itself, it's only really for if you're a Microsoft die-hard
    Android - For everyone that doesn't fit in these niches.

ReputationRep:
    thanks very helpful posts!

a question though, is the iphone worth it if you will not use its music playing system? (I hate, nay I loathe itunes).

ReputationRep:
    The music player on the iPhone is nothing special, it's basically the same one the iPods have. I wouldn't let it sway your decision either way, whether you'd use it or not.

ReputationRep:
    iPhone has a really nice interface and much more to offer app wise. Restrictive and expensive though.

Blackberry is very popular so bbm is great for staying in touch with mates. However, I personally find them very corporate and lacking a fun side.

Android is catching up and could easily rival Apple. Google's less anal attitude enables some great apps to be available. Handsets can cover any price range really.

Don't bother with Windows.

I personally believe HTC Android handsets are the best, but I'm super biased

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by placebo24)
    Android is catching up and could easily rival Apple. Google's less anal attitude enables some great apps to be available. Handsets can cover any price range really.

Don't bother with Windows
    As someone who has uses both Windows Phone 7 (which has NOTHING to do with windows mobile, just for the record) and Android, well:

What do you mean Android is catching up? In a ton of places it overtook in the first half of 2010!

As for your don't bother with WP7 statement, it is totally unfounded and ignorant. It is a wonderfully usable, pretty, slick, rapidly growing system, which tech experts almost unanimously agree beats every other "smartphone" OS in a number of ways, even though it is still in its first version and admittedly has some catching up to do in some areas.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer HTC Android because of the price and because it's alot less restrictive than the iPhone. Don't get me wrong iPhones are fantastic little phones but if you don't have the money and want more freedom in your phone, HTC Android is the way to go. iPhone and HTC Android have some fantastic apps and Blackberry really doesn't live up to them. I think Blackberry's are much too boring and only great if you only want to text/BBM or use the internet.

ReputationRep:
    Can anything particularly useful be done android phone that cant be done one an iphone?

(Original post by G8D)
      I can use it in public without looking like a pompous ****...
      So many people have iPhones that they don't look pompous anymore. They all use the same ringtone and text message alert so they all look common - if an iPhone goes off in a cafe, half the people in there will reach into their pocket. How boring is that?

ReputationRep:
      Nokia 5230 - £12/month unlimited internet, 200 mins, 200 texts. Applications, GPS sat nav, touch screen. I like to spend the £23 a month I save by not having an iPhone on stunning girls and fast cars.

ReputationRep:
      I'd recommend the HTC Desire. I pay £25 a month for 300 minutes, unlimited texts and 500gb of internet. Some of my friends are pretty hardcore callers, so for them 300 minutes isn't enough but for me it's fine. My boyfriend has the iphone 4, and to be honest there isn't much difference between the desire & the iphone, bar the price and the ipod part of the iphone. He actually prefers my phone, he says it has better apps for free, it's faster and it's plans are much cheaper.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by wouldntuliketoknow)
      Ok so I know of iPhone, blackberry, htc and windows phone, am I missing any?

What is the best way to decide which to get? Are there any sites that can help?
      Perhaps I'm a bit biased but I think the iPhone is the best smartphone around. It's slick, attractive, and easy to hold. There's a ridiculous number of apps that pretty much cover everything you need. And it's easy to use (I'm a bit of a technophobe). There have been a few issues with it, but my 3G is now about 2 years old and I've managed to sort the problems, which were partly caused by me getting water on it. The internet connection is pretty fast and I have separate apps for MSN, Facebook, etc. It is expensive to buy new so I'd recommend buying a really good second hand one. I'm on 02 pay as you go and have a £15 a month tariff: I get unlimited texts and 500MB a month of internet, which is loads for normal browsing, and I use free Wi-Fi when I'm at home anyway. I'm sure other smartphones are very good, but the iPhone would take some beating. Blackberrys are really popular at the moment and, having used one, I'm not sure why!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FXX)
      So many people have iPhones that they don't look pompous anymore. They all use the same ringtone and text message alert so they all look common - if an iPhone goes off in a cafe, half the people in there will reach into their pocket. How boring is that?
      I moved on from the days having the latest / different ringtones after my Nokia 3210 a very, very long time ago. A message alert tone is simply that - a tone to alert you of a message. It doesn't need to be, nor can it really, be interesting or exciting

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FXX)
      I have Florence and the Machine - Cosmic Love as my iPhone ringtone :3

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by alicebytemperley)
      I have Florence and the Machine - Cosmic Love as my iPhone ringtone :3
      ergh, songs as ringtones like totally went out of fashion like 5 years ago girlfriend!

Just for the record, I don't actually talk like that, I just totally imagined it in a teen American voice running it through my head :P

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by NothingCrushesUs)
      ergh, songs as ringtones like totally went out of fashion like 5 years ago girlfriend!

Just for the record, I don't actually talk like that, I just totally imagined it in a teen American voice running it through my head :P
      Haha! Like in Ugly Betty...

The basic ringtones often aren't loud enough, which annoys me.

ReputationRep:
      Now im getting pretty interested in htcs, especially because of price, if only there were £10 a month for iphones

whats the best by htc then guys? I'm looking for £10 a month tarrif, no more than £15. Also is android or windows better for htc and why? And can you have either of these on any phone or do only certain phones come with android and certain with only windows?

ReputationRep:
      Your best bet is to check out the mobile phone industry standard review site Techradar. They list the current top 20 mobile phones in the world...

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...440?artc_pg=21

1. HTC DESIRE (ANDROID)
      2. IPHONE4 (iOS)
      3. HTC DESIRE HD (ANDROID)
      4. SAMSUNG GALAXY S (ANDROID)
      5. GOOGLE NEXUS S (ANDROID)
      6. HTC DESIRE Z (ANDROID)
      7. NOKIA N8 (SYMBIAN 3)
      8. SE XPERIA X10 MINI (ANDROID)
      9. ORANGE SANFRANCISCO (ANDROID)
      10 LG OPTIMUS (WINDOWS PHONE 7)
      11 MOTOROLA MILESTONE 2 (ANDROID)
      12 HTC HD7 (WINDOWS PHONE 7 )
      13 HTC WILDFIRE (ANDROID)
      14 BLACKBERRY TORCH (RIM)
      15 SAMSUNG GALAXY EUROPA (ANDROID)

As you can see, android massively dominates the best phones on the market. Be aware that because the iphone has a premium price it doesnt actually mean it is the best. All the top end android phones beat the iphone in things like web browsing, speed, more free apps, better notification system, proper multitasking, better facebook integration and cloud syncing, and dynamic live widgets making access to all the things you want to do with your phone MUCH more easier and quicker. The interface is also more fresh, slick, and modern, and the customization of the homescreens means your phone becomes very tailored to how you use your phone, making everything super quick and easy to use.

Avoid blackberry, as it really is not in the same league at all as the android/winphone7/iphone, it just lives of its legacy reputation from years ago when it actually was good.

I personally had the iphone4, then upgraded to the htc desire and could never go back to iphone now. After the htc desire, i upgraded to the galaxy s. the htc desire is still SO popular, that i can actually sell it on ebay for the same price i bought it for almost a year ago.

ReputationRep:
      http://meidell.dk/archives/2010/06/2...vs-iphone-3gs/

A useful comparison of the HTC Desire and the iPhone 3GS.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.