Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it hypocritical to be a meat-eater and against fur-farming? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Clothing and food - 2 fundamental requirements to life.

- You don't have to wear fur, because there are other alternatives. To wear fur means you only want to benefit from its warmth/style.

- You don't have to eat meat, because there are other nutritional alternatives. To eat meat means you only want to enjoy the taste.

See what I mean?

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    mmmmm dead animals, nom nom

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you could wear ethically sourced fur that had lived a full and natural life in the wilderness before being shot by some davy crocket character... you didn't think of that did you eh, Thatcher?

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it would depend on the specifics.
    I am opposed to hunting rare animals like tigers, bears, etc. for the hide - but I would also be opposed to hunting them for the meat.

I don't really see how you could be opposed to leather and yet eat beef, however. I think it is better that we use as much of an animal as possible, thus the least is wasted.

ReputationRep:
    no, nor is it hypocritical to not eat meat and be for fur farming

ReputationRep:
    The reality, yes, you just explained how and there's no counter-argument to any of it. But it's so ingrained in our cultures, and we're such unlogical creatures, that people will try argue that it's not, for the simple reason that they enjoy meat and don't want to be vegetarian.

ReputationRep:
    No. The meat is food, which is necessary- yes there are alternatives, but it's actually used by our bodies to keep us alive. Fur farming, particularly when animals are killed that aren't usually eaten, is murder for decoration.

ReputationRep:
    In some places (SIBERIA for example) only fur is suitable to survive the harsh conditions. A bbc reporter went there in an alternative to fur, and all the people thought he was crazy. And he wasnt as warm as he could have been in fur.
    So fur farming is needed in some places (not the UK)

And meat would be necessary in some places as well. Where they dont have any suitable alternatives (or the tablets needed to provide a variety of nutrients). However again we dont really need meat in the UK.

So to answer your question I'd say- it depends on the situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    In some places (serbia i think) only fur is suitable to survive the harsh conditions. A bbc reporter went there in an alternative to fur, and all the people thought he was crazy. And he wasnt as warm as he could have been in fur.
    So fur farming is needed in some places (not the UK)

And meat would be necessary in some places as well. Where they dont have any suitable alternatives (or the tablets needed to provide a variety of nutrients). However again we dont really need meat in the UK.

So to answer your question I'd say- it depends on the situation
    It was Siberia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeLee---x)
    It was Siberia
    Oh right , I knew it was somewhere beginnign with an S, haha. I will ammend my post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_Gail)
    No. The meat is food, which is necessary- yes there are alternatives, but it's actually used by our bodies to keep us alive. Fur farming, particularly when animals are killed that aren't usually eaten, is murder for decoration.
    Fur farming is largely used for clothing - which is also vital to keep us alive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    Fur farming is largely used for clothing - which is also vital to keep us alive.
    Large numbers of creatures killed to make expensive clothing... No.

I don't have anything against the people who use the pelts of the creatures they killed for food as clothing, but when they're killed exclusively for their fur, it's disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a strict vegetarian but I wear vintage fur. I would never buy new fur, just as I would never go and buy a piece of meat to eat.

In the bad weather recently I've been wearing my great aunt's mink coat all the time and it is SO warm, I can go out in the snow and not feel any cold at all. I'm sure its warmer than my ski jackets.

I genuinely think eating meat is unnecessary, and in the quantities that most people seem to eat it nowadays, unhealthy. There is enough vintage fur around at the moment for those few people who do want to wear fur to obtain it without contributing to the fur industry. I can definitely morally justify my wearing of fur

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.