Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Been pondering long haul travel by ferry to the Americas etc as an alternative to plane.

Do you think this sort of thing would be more economical? (e.g. travelling various places by boat or rail and avoiding airlines would save more pennies etc?)

I know it would take about 5 days to get there but, any ideas and all? Yay or nay?

ReputationRep:
    Nay. Travelling by boat is almost always less economical, by quite a large margin.

ReputationRep:
    Let's say I take a ferry to New York or Miami or anywhere on the US East Coast. Then everything else is rail or car as we please. For a few months. And not just the USA but also Canada and Latin America.

Still practical and economical?

ReputationRep:
    Get a ferry from Sweden to Finland was economical as well as pretty fun. I wouldn't advise for longer trips though. It's often not especially cheap and the novelty wears off pretty quickly.

ReputationRep:
    the longest ferry i've been on was 2 nights to spain and it was hellishly boring

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to know if anyone has tried, or knows anyone who has tried long haul ferries?

ReputationRep:
    Five days to the USA? Crikey, you'll be lucky...

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there are any ferries across the Atlantic any more. You could go by cargo ship: but apparently it's not any cheaper than a plane.

ReputationRep:
    I have looked at www.cunard.co.uk and found some 6-day ferries across the Atlantic that are about 1 grand. TBH, even crappy economy air travel is not that much cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robocop1andahalf)
    I have looked at www.cunard.co.uk and found some 6-day ferries across the Atlantic that are about 1 grand. TBH, even crappy economy air travel is not that much cheaper.
    You can get air tickets to the USA for half of that.

ReputationRep:
    I got a return to New York last summer for £283.

ReputationRep:
    Have you even looked? I flew return for £279 last summer whereas a return by boat will be £2k+ (£1k is one way) and ridiculously boring.

ReputationRep:
    Truth is I am not the biggest fan of flying and am looking at alternatives. Certainly with these body scanners and having my balls fondled by some fat security guard.

ReputationRep:
    Truth is I am not the biggest fan of flying and am looking at alternatives. Certainly with these body scanners and having my balls fondled by some fat security guard.
    It's a 5 (I think?) hour flight, I'm sure the huge monetary (I just looked again and £1k is based on 2 people, you'd be paying £1800 each way) and time saving will make the flight worth it for anyone but the most terrified flier.

And I hope the security procedure isn't the thing putting you off - thats just ridiculous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    And I hope the security procedure isn't the thing putting you off - thats just ridiculous!
    So you wanna have your private parts get touched up then?

ReputationRep:
    So you wanna have your private parts get touched up then?
    Not really - so I will just walk through the scanner...

However, should that be necessary to get on a plane to America, then I can't say I would really be hugely concerned that a security guard I'll never see again briefly brushes his hands over the top of my clothes over any private parts.

ReputationRep:
    I've flown more times than I can count, and have been searched in one of those little cubicles, and I've never been 'fondled by some fat security guard.'

The flight to NYC or Boston's around 6 hours - really not that bad.

ReputationRep:
    I love travelling on ferries :3

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.