Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    1. Anyone is doing it?
    2. What (the hell) is it?:confused:
    3. Do you do it with your school or just with some night classes?

I want to do Maths in uni so I want to do as much maths as i can in IB..

ReputationRep:
    It is an extra Math subject - in the Group 6 - and the syllabus basically consists of all Math HL options (and maybe some extra stuff, I don't know, I'm not doing it). Our school does not offer it because of low interest - we need at least 5 or 6 people in one subject to have it opened... But if you really enjoy math, I'd definitely recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    Further Mathematics SL is a subject that can be taken in conjunction with Math HL. The syllabus consists of the four options in the HL course; Statistics, Sets Relations and Groups, Differential equations and Discrete Mathematics, and a bit of further geometry.

The subject itself is offered at very few schools because of low interest, but there are people taking it as a "self-taught" subject even though I'm pretty sure no university in the world has it as a requirement.

I would avoid taking the subject, unless your school teaches it. This is because the subject is not easy and learning everything by yourself will be a challenge, and chances are you'll not do very well if you do it by yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrypton)
    Further Mathematics SL is a subject that can be taken in conjunction with Math HL. The syllabus consists of the four options in the HL course; Statistics, Sets Relations and Groups, Differential equations and Discrete Mathematics, and a bit of further geometry.

The subject itself is offered at very few schools because of low interest, but there are people taking it as a "self-taught" subject even though I'm pretty sure no university in the world has it as a requirement.

I would avoid taking the subject, unless your school teaches it. This is because the subject is not easy and learning everything by yourself will be a challenge, and chances are you'll not do very well if you do it by yourself.
    The subject isn't offered at my school but I'd be glad if I could switch Environmental Systems with Further Mathematics. Is it a subject which your school allows you to study on your own? Should I be sending them a special request of sorts so that they let me study the subject? Also, is the subject studied on your own time at school like any other SL subject or do you start studying it when you're done with the whole of or at least, a good chunk of, Mathematics HL?

Oh and Environmental Systems is my only social science (I study two sciences and Maths at HL and the other two SL subjects are A1 and A2 languages) - so, will I still be able to do Further Mathematics SL?

I'd be most grateful if you could help me in clearing this up.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't seem like it, because IB requires you to pick one subject from each category. The only way someone can do Further Mathematics is as a replacement in Group 6, which you have already filled up with your 2nd science. Also, Environmental Systems is considered to be a humanity so you need to pick a subject from that category too, unless I am mistaken and you included Environmental Systems as one of the sciences, which you study at HL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .neon)
    The subject isn't offered at my school but I'd be glad if I could switch Environmental Systems with Further Mathematics. Is it a subject which your school allows you to study on your own? Should I be sending them a special request of sorts so that they let me study the subject? Also, is the subject studied on your own time at school like any other SL subject or do you start studying it when you're done with the whole of or at least, a good chunk of, Mathematics HL?

Oh and Environmental Systems is my only social science (I study two sciences and Maths at HL and the other two SL subjects are A1 and A2 languages) - so, will I still be able to do Further Mathematics SL?

I'd be most grateful if you could help me in clearing this up.
    There was a student taking it at our school last year, so yes at my particular school they let you take it as a "self-taught" in which case you replace it with a Group 6 subject. And since it is a self-taught subject, you'll need to find time in your regular school schedule to study the subject on your own.

Since the syllabus mainly consists of the four options in the HL course, I would presume that you can start with the course straight away, because for two of the options, sets groups and relations and discrete mathematics, you don't need anything from the HL course, it is entirely new.

As far as I know, you need to pick at least one subject from each group, excluding group 6, which you can omit to be able to for example take another science subject. And so if environmental systems is a subject in group 3(social science group), which I think it is, then you have to take it. You can always take further mathematics as a 7th subject, but that will obviously result in a heavy workload.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much fellas. I've heard of certain people appealing to the IB for allowing them to study three sciences but yeah, it's probably going to take a hell of a lot of time and I've already missed a term of Chemistry and Environmental Systems. (was doing other subjects) Taking a 7th subject is a no-no.

At any rate, thank you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.