Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muslim and Jewish groups object to labelling of ritually slaughtered meat Watch

ReputationRep:
    Article.

About 10 million turkeys are expected to be eaten in the UK over Christmas with most people unaware of how the bird on their plate was killed. All that could change under proposed EU legislation that would require the labelling of unstunned halal and kosher meat, to the chagrin of Muslim and Jewish groups.

All meat and meat products "derived from animals that have not been stunned prior to slaughter ie have been ritually slaughtered," would have to be specified as such under amendment 205 to the EU food information regulations.

The stated aim is to allow consumers to make an informed choice, consistent with their ethical concerns, but opponents argue it is discriminatory.

"If you are only labelling meat provided for Muslims and Jews you are discriminating against Muslims and Jews," said Shimon Cohen, campaign director for Shechita UK.

"There is no conclusive evidence to show our method of animal slaughter is anything but humane."

Cohen said many more animals are "mis-stunned" and thereby suffer "excruciating pain" than are slaughtered under the shechita slaughter method, from which kosher meat is obtained.

Opponents fear labelling would cut demand for ritually slaughtered meat, causing producers to pull out and forcing prices higher for remaining consumers.

Compassion in World Farming (CIWF), which lobbied for the amendment, cited a report by the UK Farm Animal Welfare Council which found that cutting the throat without stunning induced "significant pain and distress" to make its case.

"We don't have a problem with religious slaughter, we have a problem with any kind of slaughter that is inhumane," said Phil Brooke, welfare development manager at CIWF. "While it's allowed we think that any products that come from an unstunned animal should be labelled as such."

Emotions among Jews and Muslims have been inflamed by far-right groups such as the British National Party and English Defence League whipping up opposition to halal meat – the former describes it as a "barbaric and disgusting Islamic tradition" – while not targeting kosher meat.

The Conservative MEP for North West England, Sajjad Karim, who is a Muslim, received threatening emails after voting against the amendment.

Yunus Dudhwala, chairman of the Halal Monitoring Committee (HMC),, which certifies halal products in the UK, said animal welfare was a "red herring", adding that there was a relative lack of interest in factory farming and animal transportation conditions.

"If people are really concerned about animal welfare the rest of the journey of the animal [before slaughter] really needs to be looked at," he said.

Dudhwala said he would be happy for unstunned meat to be labelled if other meat carried the method of stunning used, such as gassing or electrocution, but believed that would never happen because it would be unpalatable for consumers.

The other UK halal regulator, the Halal Food Authority (HFA), which approves of stunning before slaughter providing it does not kill the animal (the HMC argues it is impossible to guarantee this), supports labelling of unstunned meat.

HFA president Masood Khawaja said: "The labelling must be done, simply so people can differentiate between different schools of thought and different beliefs."

Anti-labelling campaigners won the latest round of the battle earlier this month when a council of ministers' committee did not vote through amendment 205. It could be re-introduced in the European parliament when the second reading of the bill takes place and be enshrined in law by the middle of the next year, although producers would be given a grace period to comply.

Agriculture food minister James Paice said last month "the government would like all animals to be properly stunned before they are bled to slaughter" but that labelling should be addressed as part of next year's consultation of European animal welfare regulations rather than within food information regulations.
    I don't see how anyone can object to the labelling of meat that will enable consumers to make an informed decision, based on their own beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of halal meat is already labelled/stamped

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who doesn't think this is a big deal? God people love to whine. Sure the chicken can have a **** unnatural existence BUT IT'S GOTTA BE STUNNED BEFORE DEATH!!!!

ReputationRep:
    People love to complain :facepalm:

About bloody time.

Sporting venues across London serve Halal meat to customers without informing them.
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11375523

Britain goes halal... but no-one tells the public: How famous institutions serve ritually slaughtered meat with no warning
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz199vULLHc

Top supermarkets secretly sell halal: Sainsbury's, Tesco, Waitrose, and M&S don't tell us meat is ritually slaughtered.
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz199vbOcEo

People have the right to make an informed choice.

Sure, killing an animal is 'cruel', full stop. Halal killing is simply even MORE cruel, needlessly. It is extra pain and cruelty for the sake of it.

If we are to kill animals - they should be killed in the most humane conditions we can manage.

We have already banned this inhumane form of killing, Halal is only possible because of the usual 'ZOMG RELIGIOUS DISCRIMINATION' loophole.

ED: yet another thread that will end up being Muslims arguing against well, everyone else.

ReputationRep:
      To be honest, I would like to know that the meat I buy hasn't been killed in an inhumane way.

ReputationRep:
      "If you are only labelling meat provided for Muslims and Jews you are discriminating against Muslims and Jews," said Shimon Cohen, campaign director for Shechita UK." - UTTER BULL****. If it wasn't labelled he would complain. It is labelled so he's complaining. He's just trying to create a scene.

Really friggin pisses me off because out of all the stuff in life to whine about, picking that is just pathetic. If that's his biggest worry in love then he's damn lucky.

Gods saaaaaaake, I'm Jewish and I know loads of Jews who keep kosher and as far as I knew anyway kosher stuff has always been labelled :/ Just have a look at the Mrs Elswood pickled cucumbers! Srsly. This is so dumb.

ReputationRep:
      Eughm stupid people opposing this. Typical rubbish from the Islamic and Jewish lobbies.

We have a right to know how our meat was slauhtered, it's no different to telling us whether a banana is organic or not.

ReputationRep:
      stunning the animal causes it more harm than good

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by MovingOn)
      To be honest, I would like to know that the meat I buy hasn't been killed in an inhumane way.
      ditto. Im no raving peta member but i dont believe that an animal should be needlessly tortued before hand

(Original post by Rizwani)
      it does? and wheres your logic behind that?

ReputationRep:
      Got any evidence, brah?

No?

Story of religion, really.

ReputationRep:
      I have heard (forgot the source, but it's probably out there somewhere) that the original reason why it was written in holy books to kill animals without stunning was nothing to do with minimising animal suffering. It was because an animal which is unconscious may be diseased, so to ensure only healthy meat was eaten the animal had to be awake and struggling until the moment its throat was cut. It probably never occurred that you might want to deliberately stun an animal beforehand. Of course they had no idea of the causes of disease back then, so they probably thought that by stunning it you would be damaging it in a way that made it unsafe to eat.

Similarly, the reason why pork was originally banned was because numerous diseases were catchable from it (there was possibly some epidemic amongst pigs at the time?) so it was generally considered a good idea to not eat pork.

So, in the same way that holy books gave an explanation of how the Earth and the life upon it was formed, which have been superseded by many of the scientific discoveries since, they also gave some basic dietary advice which was good at the time but modern medicine has made obsolete. Unfortunately people seem to get this basic lifestyle advice mixed up with the overall religious message, and think that God actually gives a crap about how you eat your meat!

The religious discrimination card's been pulled out one too many times to be credible. I can't believe someone would try to do so when the issue is, unrelatedly, stunning of animals vs nonstunning.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by mel0n)
        A lot of halal meat is already labelled/stamped
        That's what I thought...

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
        Article.

I don't see how anyone can object to the labelling of meat that will enable consumers to make an informed decision, based on their own beliefs.
        +1

Free markets require free information.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by perrytheplatypus)
        That's what I thought...
        This. I don't get it - doesn't it always say halal/kosher anyway so that Muslims/Jews know they are buying halal/kosher meat?

ReputationRep:
        Halal, is it meat you're looking for?

ReputationRep:
        For the love of...
        Really though, if it's killed a way in which is suitable for muslims and jews, then that contributes towards profit for firms as they can accomodate for a greater range of people.
        The chicken is going to be killed anyway, and fast too.
        It's not as if they are held up and tortured to death.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by agolati)
        For the love of...
        Really though, if it's killed a way in which is suitable for muslims and jews, then that contributes towards profit for firms as they can accomodate for a greater range of people.
        The chicken is going to be killed anyway, and fast too.
        It's not as if they are held up and tortured to death.
        I, you, we as a people have a right to know all relevant information about the food that we eat.

When given the choice I would not buy meat from an animal slaughtered according to the tenets of a religion, as I'm an atheist.

ReputationRep:
        It has been proven that stunned meat is actually harmful health wise over the long run. People should do their research! Having our meat killed in the "Halal" way is the best HEALTH wise since the blood in the animal can be released rather than bieng held inside the body.

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 2011
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.