Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Dear all,

I got an offer from MSc Actuarial Management from Cass and MSc Economics/(Finance) from Edinburgh.
    Economics/(Finance) programme is part of SGPE (Scottish Graduate Programme in Economics).
    I have worked as a pension actuary for 2 years in Korea and I want to get a job in UK (if impossible, HK or Australia).
    I am pursuing these MS programmes for building up my background in UK so that I can get a job in these countries.
    The programme of Cass seems well suited for me but I cannot ignore the reputation of Edinburgh.
    What do you think is better programme for getting a job in UK?
    Any comment would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rakheon)
    Dear all,

I got an offer from MSc Actuarial Management from Cass and MSc Economics/(Finance) from Edinburgh.
    Economics/(Finance) programme is part of SGPE (Scottish Graduate Programme in Economics).
    I have worked as a pension actuary for 2 years in Korea and I want to get a job in UK (if impossible, HK or Australia).
    I am pursuing these MS programmes for building up my background in UK so that I can get a job in these countries.
    The programme of Cass seems well suited for me but I cannot ignore the reputation of Edinburgh.
    What do you think is better programme for getting a job in UK?
    Any comment would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Firstly, do you want to continue as an actuary? If so, I think the obvious choice would be Cass, but even otherwise I would still advise Cass.

The reason being I think you overestimate the reputation of Edinburgh. Edinburgh is a top ten uni, however, its esteem is less significant at the postgrad level, and in financial services recruitment Cass is actually stronger than Edinburgh.

Not to mention, Cass is in the heart of the City, literally a stone's throw away from all the big financial firms, whereas Edinburgh is virtually as far from London as you can get, which is partly why it doesnt receive that much attention from employers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    Firstly, do you want to continue as an actuary? If so, I think the obvious choice would be Cass, but even otherwise I would still advise Cass.

The reason being I think you overestimate the reputation of Edinburgh. Edinburgh is a top ten uni, however, its esteem is less significant at the postgrad level, and in financial services recruitment Cass is actually stronger than Edinburgh.

Not to mention, Cass is in the heart of the City, literally a stone's throw away from all the big financial firms, whereas Edinburgh is virtually as far from London as you can get, which is partly why it doesnt receive that much attention from employers.
    On the other hand, Edinburgh does offer a decent alternative to London in financial services. As well as RBS and HBOS/Lloyds, there is a strong life assurance and pensions sector, which could suit the OP.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    If you're intent on continuing as an actuary in the UK, then I'd definitely go with Cass. If you're less sure, then Edinburgh is perfectly fine and would open up more general opportunities.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.