Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Distance / Home Learning - Which ones are legit? :) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I want to do an English / Creative Writing course / qualification (I have done English Language up to A-level and got a B) but work a lot of hours and therefore cannot attend lectures.

I typed it in on Google but got hundreds of results, some of which looked a little bit 'fake' or at least not official. The most interesting course to me was from 'BSY' but I'd never heard of them and wasn't sure of the quality of teaching they provide.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuayThai)
    Hi guys,

I want to do an English / Creative Writing course / qualification (I have done English Language up to A-level and got a B) but work a lot of hours and therefore cannot attend lectures.

I typed it in on Google but got hundreds of results, some of which looked a little bit 'fake' or at least not official. The most interesting course to me was from 'BSY' but I'd never heard of them and wasn't sure of the quality of teaching they provide.

Maybe open university, nec.ac.uk , oxford ODL ......

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Hmm, not sure what BSY is, but the OU is certainly legit.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergr...ting/index.htm

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

It might be easier to choose one that you like the look of then google reviews. The majority of them have reviews somewhere online

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

The OU offers a short Creative Writing Course online I think. I myself am going to be doing and English Lit. degree online with the university of London starting next September.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Escriba)
    The OU offers a short Creative Writing Course online I think. I myself am going to be doing and English Lit. degree online with the university of London starting next September.
    I did English Literature and Language A-levels, looking at the English Lit Degree it is quite appealing and I am quite interested in it. There is an option of both Creative Writing and Advanced Creative Writing, which is quite an exciting prospect too

Has anyone done these kinds of courses before?

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with open university.

ReputationRep:
    I did English Literature and Language A-levels, looking at the English Lit Degree it is quite appealing and I am quite interested in it. There is an option of both Creative Writing and Advanced Creative Writing, which is quite an exciting prospect too

Has anyone done these kinds of courses before?
    My sister did the one from the OU and my step-mum and her friend both got degrees from UoL in English.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome - anyone else done a degree at OU?

ReputationRep:
    Awesome - anyone else done a degree at OU?
    check this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=206

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am looking for advice - tell me if there is a more appropriate thread somewhere. I am English, living abroad, my final year at school has been messed up and I am coming back later this year. I want to do History at a UK university from Sept 2012. So I am planning to do three AS levels in summer 2011 doing the courses by correspondence - History, English, Classical Civilisation/Classics, starting right now which is possible but tough. I have some help. I then plan to go to a college in the UK from September 2011 to do the corresponding A2 levels. I will need to do this both to get tuition and a UCAS reference.

There are some big gaps in my understanding of the UK system - so please help.

The main thing is that organisations like the National Extension College and Oxford Open Learning do ASs with certain exam boards eg NEC history is Edexcel and OOL is AQA and they choose certain parts of the syllabus.

If I do an AS with one board must I then do the A2 with the same board in order to get the full A level or can I somehow carry the credit across to another board ??? My guess is I can't but I am sure someone out there knows exactly how this works.

If not it will obviously make it much harder to find a college as I will have to find one that is doing exactly the same boards for A2s as a I use for AS. This I guess is my main fear - even though I can be pretty flexible where I go, I don't exactly have a home town in the UK.

Also even in the same board does the A2 sometimes follow on directly from the AS - so you have to pick the same syllabus or say will any Edexcel history AS tie up with any Edexcel history A2 ??

Finally - any thoughts on NEC & OOL - are they any use anyway ???

And is Classical Civilisation (prob Ancient History) ok with History or would unis think they were too close to be different versions of the same thing - to count as separate A levels ???

(sorry this is SO long)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitasker1)
    Hi I am looking for advice - tell me if there is a more appropriate thread somewhere. I am English, living abroad, my final year at school has been messed up and I am coming back later this year. I want to do History at a UK university from Sept 2012. So I am planning to do three AS levels in summer 2011 doing the courses by correspondence - History, English, Classical Civilisation/Classics, starting right now which is possible but tough. I have some help. I then plan to go to a college in the UK from September 2011 to do the corresponding A2 levels. I will need to do this both to get tuition and a UCAS reference.

There are some big gaps in my understanding of the UK system - so please help.

The main thing is that organisations like the National Extension College and Oxford Open Learning do ASs with certain exam boards eg NEC history is Edexcel and OOL is AQA and they choose certain parts of the syllabus.

If I do an AS with one board must I then do the A2 with the same board in order to get the full A level or can I somehow carry the credit across to another board ??? My guess is I can't but I am sure someone out there knows exactly how this works.

If not it will obviously make it much harder to find a college as I will have to find one that is doing exactly the same boards for A2s as a I use for AS. This I guess is my main fear - even though I can be pretty flexible where I go, I don't exactly have a home town in the UK.

Also even in the same board does the A2 sometimes follow on directly from the AS - so you have to pick the same syllabus or say will any Edexcel history AS tie up with any Edexcel history A2 ??

Finally - any thoughts on NEC & OOL - are they any use anyway ???

And is Classical Civilisation (prob Ancient History) ok with History or would unis think they were too close to be different versions of the same thing - to count as separate A levels ???

(sorry this is SO long)
    To get a full A2 you have to continue with the course you started for the AS - so if you start with Edexcel, you have to finish with them as you have to 'cash in' your AS to get the A2.

If you go with NEC then they marry up the AS with the A2 and I would highly recommend it if you are motivated enough to study on your own and can work very independently. Classical Civilisation and History would cover two disparate strands of history, so they would be classed as different.

I'll say this. Having just applied through UCAS for this year, and used the NEC to do two further ASs and now moving on to the A2 courses (I'm a mature student who last did A-Levels in 2003) - I've just been offered a place at Pembroke College, Cambridge. I'd recommend the NEC to anyone. For me it was ideal and IS recognised. In some ways because you have to work so independently it shows how motivated you are.

If you want to ask me anything about the NEC, just PM me. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Distance Learning has been around a lot longer than the Internet. With a history immersed well in the roots of higher and lower education, the concept of learning through books and computer courses has been around for more than 30 years. For more information you may check this link http://www.thedegreeexperts.com

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.