• View Poll Results: Cantonese is better than Mandarin
    Agree
    35.00%
    Disagree
    65.00%

ReputationRep:
    Don't you agree and why?

ReputationRep:
    I hate to disagree, but Cantonese sounds to me a rougher, rowdier version of Mandarin. But I am staying in Hong Kong, where pedestrians are generally very unfriendly and yapper away really loudly. But Cantonese is a good language to swear in, as well as scold someone. I hear scoldings daily here Also, the presence of more tones makes Cantonese sound more draggy / whiny. The way people talk makes the language sound very choppy, but it is also due to the whole monosyllabic words Chinese languages have. I have only heard one Hong Kong girl speak Cantonese really elegantly, but she's naturally very soft-spoken and whenever she talks it's almost like a murmur. :dontknow:

On the other hand, it can sound "cute" or "expressive", as I've heard some people describe it as, so it's all a matter of opinion.

ReputationRep:
    ^ I prefer Canto coz it's more distinct than Mando.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by 'better'?

ReputationRep:
    I prefer Mandarin cos I study and speak it lol

Also more people speak it which is good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    I prefer Mandarin cos I study and speak it lol

Also more people speak it which is good
    Then in that case, I'm going with Cantonese because i speak it too. Plus, it's widely spoken in Hong Kong, south china and other places. It's an interesting cultural identity and it's not that hard to learn.

ReputationRep:
    Cantonese sounds really really stupid, and mandarin is more useful anyway

ReputationRep:
    Depends on why you are wanting to learn it.

If it is to improve your employment prospects then Mandarin will be way ahead of the curve. The vast majority of Chinese people will understand and speak Mandarin, but only a minority would speak Cantonese as it is merely a dialect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    Depends on why you are wanting to learn it.

If it is to improve your employment prospects then Mandarin will be way ahead of the curve. The vast majority of Chinese people will understand and speak Mandarin, but only a minority would speak Cantonese as it is merely a dialect.
    Just because they share certain grammatical structures and vocabulary, that doesn't mean they're compatible 'languages.'

Many people argue that Mandarin is a language, when it's technically the dialect, though because it's spoken in majority of south and north China, its considered as the 'standard' chinese.

Cantonese is not only spoken in china either. Why do i feel like i'm selling something? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    ...only a minority would speak Cantonese as it is merely a dialect.
    It's a language according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantonese

ReputationRep:
    Cantonese is more difficult to learn because it has....6...or 9...different tones, Mandarin only has 4. So.....yes, that makes Cantonese better :P
    (but then again, I might be a bit biased. Just a bit)

Ooh! Apparently, when people were choosing an official language for China, Cantonese was only 1 vote off from Mandarin.
    Poo. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    ^ At least Cantonese is seen as special because it's much rarer than Mandarin

ReputationRep:
    Disagree.

1.5 billion speakers can't be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    mandarin is definitely more useful, but i like the sound of cantonese xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaughingBro)
    ^ At least Cantonese is seen as special because it's much rarer than Mandarin
    I would consider Cantonese a local dialect rather than a language.

I'm not either so don't go on about bias.

ReputationRep:
    What does better mean? How can one language be better than another? Is English better than German, since we're in the same sub-division of a larger language family? (I think English sounds better, since German is harsh, gutteral and ugly to listen to, but I'm digressing lol).

ReputationRep:
    Canto:

1.) I speak it
    2.) Traditional Chinese is harder then simplified....
    3.) Hong Kong is AWESOME

ReputationRep:
    Mandarin, because I speak it.
    Canto sounds like something you would only find in chinese markets.

ReputationRep:
    By the way, no one ever mentions this, but Cantonese is widely spoken in KL, not just Guangdong or Hongkong.

Hm... It's more distinct? Yeesh I agree but whether it's distinct in a good way, or a bad way...

Actually I'd be very surprised if one can't tell the difference between the two languages. Theyre really quite different. I mean, I'd understand if it were teochew and hokkien, but cantonese and mandarin? Nooo...

ReputationRep:
    They sound the same to me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.