The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dbmag9
Fair enough. Actually (more for my amusement than anything else), comparing Genesis 1:1-5 and adding the words I think I could guess without knowing the language, Latin does seem to come out on top by a margin:

German
1Am Anfang schuf Gott (God) Himmel und (and) Erde (Earth). 2Und die Erde war wüst und leer, und es war finster auf der Tiefe; und der Geist (ghost) Gottes schwebte auf dem Wasser (water). 3Und Gott sprach: Es werde Licht (light)! und es ward Licht. 4Und Gott sah, daß das Licht gut (good) war. Da schied Gott das Licht von der Finsternis 5und nannte das Licht Tag (day) und die Finsternis Nacht (night). Da ward aus Abend und Morgen (morning) der erste Tag.

Latin
1in principio creavit (created) Deus (God) caelum et terram (earth) 2terra autem erat inanis et vacua (empty) et tenebrae super (over) faciem abyssi et spiritus (spirit) Dei ferebatur super aquas (water) 3dixitque Deus fiat lux (light) et facta est lux 4et vidit Deus lucem quod esset bona (good) et divisit (divided) lucem ac tenebras 5appellavitque (called) lucem diem (day) et tenebras noctem (night) factumque est vespere (evening) et mane dies unus (one)

I think Latin translations are easier for me, even though I've never studied it in my life, because as you read it it sounds so awesome - like a magic spell :wink:
Original post by Incarnadine91
I think Latin translations are easier for me, even though I've never studied it in my life, because as you read it it sounds so awesome - like a magic spell :wink:

Or as the old joke goes, Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur :smile:
Reply 2482

Well, depends on how you pronounce it. At school the pronounciation we were taught was basically Italian but with 'v' sounding like the English 'w'. Church Latin sounds quite different. I get a kick out of being able to read both, though. :p:

In a bookshop here in Berlin the other week I found them selling Descartes' Meditations in side-by-side Latin and German, which was pretty awesome. Also a book of Pompeian graffiti. :awesome:

Original post by shoshin

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo, indeed.
Original post by shoshin

Waitwaitwait... Let me see... The way latin is said is higher than it sounds? Or something like that?

Original post by dbmag9
Well, depends on how you pronounce it. At school the pronounciation we were taught was basically Italian but with 'v' sounding like the English 'w'. Church Latin sounds quite different. I get a kick out of being able to read both, though. :p:

In a bookshop here in Berlin the other week I found them selling Descartes' Meditations in side-by-side Latin and German, which was pretty awesome. Also a book of Pompeian graffiti. :awesome:

All the latin I know comes from having to translate bits of medieval legal documents, religious decrees and the Malleus Maleficarum for the past year. So none of it is spoken, and the way I pronounce it in my head is probably completely wrong :tongue: I don't care, it sounds cool to me! And Pompeian graffiti is awesome - just shows you that human nature never changes.

And I have no idea what you just said.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dbmag9

What are you going to do when zoedotdot reminds us that we have to provide translations for anything not in English? :eek:
Reply 2485
Waitwaitwait... Let me see... The way latin is said is higher than it sounds? Or something like that?

"Whatever you say in Latin sounds like it's deep". But good try. :p:

Original post by shoshin
What are you going to do when zoedotdot reminds us that we have to provide translations for anything not in English? :eek:

Add the proper referencing to Catullus? It's a good poem.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dbmag9
"Whatever you say in Latin sounds like it's deep". But good try. :p:

Ah. "Altus" meaning deep, not high (I was going for 'altitude'). Now you see why I get cross when something turns up in Latin untranslated. Good job I know a Classics student or two :smile:
Reply 2487
Ah. "Altus" meaning deep, not high (I was going for 'altitude'). Now you see why I get cross when something turns up in Latin untranslated. Good job I know a Classics student or two :smile:

It can mean both, actually, along with the more metaphorical 'profound' definition. Although to be honest before I double-checked it I had put 'old', so don't trust me. :p:
Original post by dbmag9
It can mean both, actually, along with the more metaphorical 'profound' definition. Although to be honest before I double-checked it I had put 'old', so don't trust me. :p:

It must be the way I tell 'em :frown:
Reply 2489
Original post by Nag o ma Scylla
Most of the words you say you'd know without knowing any Latin aren't really the same as the English ones, they just have more complex English derivatives; so if somebody had a smaller/more basic vocabulary they'd surely find it easier to read the German. e. g. the link between 'evening' and 'vespere' isn't very obvious ...

ooh er :tongue:

I tried to assume the vocabulary of a clever person who hadn't studied Latin or German, but obviously it's hard to deliberately forget the meaning of words you know. I left out 'principio' (beginning), 'faciem' (surface), 'ferebatur' (carried), 'dixitque' (said) and 'facta' (made) even though they all have close English derivatives with similar meanings (I also left a few out of the German too), but obviously it's not perfect. So much of figuring out meaning comes from context anyway.

It's literature, stop that giggling at the back, please. :yep:
What a lovely poem :tongue:
Reply 2491
Original post by micky022
What a lovely poem :tongue:

Cyclic construction, commentary on the position of the poet in Roman society, a glimpse into how competing poets interacted personally and professionally, allusions to Catullus' other works, use of colloquial register in an artistic structure, contemplations on the nature of masculinity, what's not to like?

It's always fun when you get an edition that glosses the dirty words into more Latin rather than English, too. I recall reading that "irrumabo = mentulam in os inserere".
Original post by dbmag9
Cyclic construction, commentary on the position of the poet in Roman society, a glimpse into how competing poets interacted personally and professionally, allusions to Catullus' other works, use of colloquial register in an artistic structure, contemplations on the nature of masculinity, what's not to like?

It's always fun when you get an edition that glosses the dirty words into more Latin rather than English, too. I recall reading that "irrumabo = mentulam in os inserere".

Maybe the sodomy and face-boning, just a little bit
Original post by dbmag9

And I thought you were just trying to chat me up. I mean, I was flattered and all, but I'm not that way inclined. :biggrin:
Reply 2494
Original post by Nag o ma Scylla
I often look at French and think how easy it is for an English speaker to understand [not my reading list though ...] forgetting that I've been studying it for >7 years. That said, my dad hasn't done French since O-Level 46 years ago and reads it very well (his pronunciation is awful though :tongue:).

I miss Latin A-level ... sex seemd to come up a lot. It did in English Literature GCSE as well, but that was just our teacher (who is one of the chief examiners for one of the A-level boards, so there must be something in it!).

(I do actually like Latin for the language though, seriously :colondollar:)

Wow!

Yeah, I can sort of figure out French (and Spanish, Italian etc.) if I know what it's about, but sadly learning does seem necessary to understanding a language properly.

It used to be common practice not to translate dirty passages into English, so a gloss into more Latin was the best that could be done. I recall reading about texts that just skipped chunks out with a note referring to 'the unspeakable vice of the Greeks', but I don't know how true that is.

Original post by shoshin
And I thought you were just trying to chat me up. I mean, I was flattered and all, but I'm not that way inclined. :biggrin:

Nah, I don't use Catullus for chat-up lines, honest. He does some good genuinely romantic stuff as well, though...
Reply 2495
I'm hoping to do Russian; bought a book on Wednesday and I'm going to make a proper start tonight. It doesn't seem too bad...

What subject are you doing?

German is a horrid-sounding language, you could be calling someone beautiful and it sounds like you're threatening to torture them...

What book are you using?
I've found Oxford Take Off in Russian for a quarter of the price on another site, and it's in my library. The New Penguin Russian Course is the cheapest of this version but it looks good, but it's not available in my library. (Sorry for plaguing you with questions! :wink: Out of interest, why did you choose to learn Russian?)
My reasons for wanting to learn aren't even any good - I'd like to read some of the books (19th/20th Century) in their original! Same with German... and that might be more 'useful'? Talk about tenuous :smile:

I'm (hopefully) doing History & English so maybe trying to learn a language will stretch me even thinner! Still I don't like the idea of remaining monolingual, but I never liked French.

I should probably have clarified: one of the versions of the French Revolution course is closed to me, the one in which you work from primary sources, not the time period as a whole. There will probably be plenty of other options where you deal with translations, it's just they're by nature going to be slightly flawed compared to the originals. And that's only because I haven't done French since year 9 and detested it even then. With a GCSE in it you'd probably get by fine. You'll be busy, yes, but they design these courses with us in mind so I'm sure you'd be able to fit it in.

If you're another historian I'm happy to answer your questions too :smile:

Oh, okay, thank you! I'll hopefully be a half-blood historian. :cool:
I have a question for English but I suppose it applies to History too - on my reading lists it says it's usual (but not mandatory) for HENGers to take Old English Module, as opposed to Victorian for the first year. But I've been given a reading list for both, and the Victorian list is rather extensive! Do you know if I choose now, or try to read half from each?... When you choose modules, do you get 'tasters' of both or simply go straight into one, forgoing another?
Reply 2496
Original post by JAR12
My reasons for wanting to learn aren't even any good - I'd like to read some of the books (19th/20th Century) in their original! Same with German... and that might be more 'useful'? Talk about tenuous :smile:

How could that even be considered to be a bad reason? :confused:

I'd like to learn Russian, but mostly because it sounds cool and I can pretend to be a spy. I'm sure the literature is also fantastic, but only being about half-way through Crime and Punishment I can't really comment.
Reply 2497
Original post by dbmag9
How could that even be considered to be a bad reason? :confused:

I'd like to learn Russian, but mostly because it sounds cool and I can pretend to be a spy. I'm sure the literature is also fantastic, but only being about half-way through Crime and Punishment I can't really comment.

Well I wasn't going to admit to that but same :colondollar:
Love C&P - I wanted to tackle the Brothers Karamozav over Summer, but it's not happening. I know one of my college's tutors loves Dostoyevsky (and I think my other interview looked at us with disgust)!
Reply 2498
Original post by JAR12
Well I wasn't going to admit to that but same :colondollar:
Love C&P - I wanted to tackle the Brothers Karamozav over Summer, but it's not happening. I know one of my college's tutors loves Dostoyevsky (and I think my other interview looked at us with disgust)!

Anything you'd recommend once I get through CP? I feel I ought to devote some time to the classics since I'm not really doing anything in Berlin.
Original post by JAR12
What book are you using?
I've found Oxford Take Off in Russian for a quarter of the price on another site, and it's in my library. The New Penguin Russian Course is the cheapest of this version but it looks good, but it's not available in my library. (Sorry for plaguing you with questions! :wink: Out of interest, why did you choose to learn Russian?)

I'm (hopefully) doing History & English so maybe trying to learn a language will stretch me even thinner! Still I don't like the idea of remaining monolingual, but I never liked French.

I'm using this. It's gone up 11p since I bought it though...

It seems quite good, despite the Cyrillic section being rather brief; two exercises and Dr. West is straight into LET'S DO RUSSIAN WOO! However, it's all very clear. I chose it over the Penguin Russian Course because of the negative reviews the NPRC got about dense, difficult chapters.

I wanted to do Russian because I used to love the idea of learning a language. I did French from Year 7-9 and German in Year 9. In Year 9 my interest just tailed off; I hated the way languages were taught in school, and in German I had very little interest or motivation. I spent a year just copying the highly capable girl I sat next to.

Russian is different than the 'vanilla' Romance languages. Different alphabet, little word similarity... And it sounds awesome. I bounced from wanting to do Russian to wanting to learn Arabic (Could be useful in the Army, no? :tongue:), but Oxford don't offer Arabic as a LASR course (Only OPAL, which I think would be too much of a commitment). I might not even do the LASR course and just self-teach, and get a girl I know who speaks Russian to help me out a bit :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending