The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Comet Andromeda
I'm jealous of your surname!! I bet you get loads of HP references said to you :biggrin:

You have actually made me feel a tad better so thanks! I guess I was just nervous because I worry a lot (probably more than most people!) But I'm getting over it and the excitement is kicking in.
Thanks, have a hug back!

What course/college are you going to? :smile:

Yes, I do :biggrin: But it's not as bad now as it was ten years ago, and now people seem to think it's a geeky thing to be proud of! Weird, huh? :wink:

I'm glad I could make you feel a little better :smile: My whole last year has been a mixture of "I'm excited" and "oh god please don't make me go, where's the exit", honestly more the latter. Only in the last few weeks has the balance started to shift, and so I totally get the whole feeling ambiguous but still being excited thing.

German at Exeter. You?
Original post by Longorefisher
Haha, us Mad Scientists rule the world...Actually that's quite a scary thought :tongue: .
Thanks for the advice, picked up some bits today. Thankfully I'm from Oxford so if I forget anything, I should have a little headstart on where to find it! Also, sorry to keep asking you questions but I stayed in a third year room for interviews and was wondering how a first year room compared to it?

Knowing a lot of the chemists as I do, it is. Put it this way, I wasn't surprised when seven fire engines were called to your department on the last day of Hilary last year due to a massive hole that had suddenly appeared in the wall. You could hear the bang for miles. :tongue: I really don't think you lot should be allowed out sometimes...

Actually, due to my extensive lurking on the Catz Incoming Freshers group on facebook, and judging by your username and subject... is your name Matthew? Feel free to ignore me if it isn't :colondollar: I'm the Kirstie that keeps annoying all the historians, by the way.

A third-year room? So, one of the older ones but with a sink? The en suites are for us second-years :colone: The majority of first year rooms are about a third smaller, no sink - you have to use the main bathroom - and with I think a smaller wardrobe, but otherwise exactly the same. And actually, a good proportion of first years get the big rooms, and some even get en suites, it all depends on where you're allocated. We're a big enough college that pretty much everyone gets a decent room. I had one of the small 'box' rooms and got along fine, there's plenty of storage space and it's big enough to entertain people in, so I wouldn't worry :wink:

Original post by Mel_Denning
That's not bad! Where is the club located?

The Iffley Road sports centre, if you sign up to our e-mail list at Fresher's Fair we'll send you directions to our taster sessions. Then you can decide if you want to pay for membership, there's no obligation.

I feel like one of those people advertising stuff on the telly now :s-smilie:
Just found out that Oxford has a cheer squad so I guess I need to start practicing those toe touches again hehe (: GO SIRENS!

I suppose i should carry on with debating -- it'll be weird to potentionally run the competitions that ive been taking part in the past few years hehe.

I'd like to carry on with kickboxing too but im worried that my belts wont carry over so I'll probably just hit the gym when i find a buddy to go with. And then there's laX which i'd love to take up, and rowing... and im really not going to fit all this in around my studies hehe (damn you engineering - why didnt i take an arts subject)

just filling all these forms in anyway FUN TIMES
having my photo taken by my local paper today. HAHAHA.
Original post by flywithemma

I had to do the cheesy handshake picture with my headmaster on Thursday.

I was so tempted to write something offensive on my forearm, but I couldn't find a pen in time.
Original post by flywithemma

That'll be cut out and framed in your grandparents' house within 48 hours.
Original post by The Anti-Hero
I had to do the cheesy handshake picture with my headmaster on Thursday.

I was so tempted to write something offensive on my forearm, but I couldn't find a pen in time.

Haha. Thankfully mine's just me. My headteacher doesn't even know my name, I don't think. :colondollar: he's a bit rubbish (although looks so much like Gordon Brown :tongue:)

Original post by shj
Awesome!! And you have time to prepare, too!

I arrived at college on the morning of results day with about 3 hours' sleep behind me, scruffy hair, no makeup... and there were 3 different photographers waiting! JOY :P

Haha, I don't think they were optimistic enough to do that at my school.

Apparently I need to pose with 'history books and my results slip'

I haven't read all of the books and I really hope they don't notice the 'D' module result D:
Just got a HUGE pack of stuff about lecture groups, summer work and lecturers!! :headbang: :eek3:
Bow tie practice is always useful. Getting quicker now, must be able to tie it without a mirror by October. Definitely more important than my French reading.
Original post by Incarnadine91
Knowing a lot of the chemists as I do, it is. Put it this way, I wasn't surprised when seven fire engines were called to your department on the last day of Hilary last year due to a massive hole that had suddenly appeared in the wall. You could hear the bang for miles. :tongue: I really don't think you lot should be allowed out sometimes...

Actually, due to my extensive lurking on the Catz Incoming Freshers group on facebook, and judging by your username and subject... is your name Matthew? Feel free to ignore me if it isn't :colondollar: I'm the Kirstie that keeps annoying all the historians, by the way.

A third-year room? So, one of the older ones but with a sink? The en suites are for us second-years :colone: The majority of first year rooms are about a third smaller, no sink - you have to use the main bathroom - and with I think a smaller wardrobe, but otherwise exactly the same. And actually, a good proportion of first years get the big rooms, and some even get en suites, it all depends on where you're allocated. We're a big enough college that pretty much everyone gets a decent room. I had one of the small 'box' rooms and got along fine, there's plenty of storage space and it's big enough to entertain people in, so I wouldn't worry :wink:

Awww I feel mildly Stalked ( :tongue: ) (Actually, I had guessed you were Kirsty by some of the comments on the thread, just didn't want to be made out as creepy haha).

Yes haha I've heard stories from chemists twenty years ago who used to vent gases onto the street and every now and then there would be a large pop on the street. That hole does sound funny though!

Besides, going back to fun, you could argue that we get to spend days in labs doing some pretty amazing things, makes up for all the "Danger" I suppose :-P
Original post by hattierosie
Just found out that Oxford has a cheer squad so I guess I need to start practicing those toe touches again hehe (: GO SIRENS!

I suppose i should carry on with debating -- it'll be weird to potentionally run the competitions that ive been taking part in the past few years hehe.

I'd like to carry on with kickboxing too but im worried that my belts wont carry over so I'll probably just hit the gym when i find a buddy to go with. And then there's laX which i'd love to take up, and rowing... and im really not going to fit all this in around my studies hehe (damn you engineering - why didnt i take an arts subject)

just filling all these forms in anyway FUN TIMES

I'm in the same boat at the moment. I'm listing off all these clubs that I want to join to my mum and, thankfully, she's not bringing me back to reality and pointing out that I won't have enough time!
I've actually been thinking about starting kickboxing, but I have no experience so I would be no use as a gym buddy :colondollar:
Reply 3051
Haha as interesting as archery sounds, i think ima have to be realistic - i have absolutely no upper body strength :')
want to join sports societies, but im more of a social player - im not what you'd call great! But i like my swimming, and i want to get back into netball. .but Im worried that all the sports clubs are going to be really competitive :s-smilie:
Original post by Babs12123
I'm in the same boat at the moment. I'm listing off all these clubs that I want to join to my mum and, thankfully, she's not bringing me back to reality and pointing out that I won't have enough time!
I've actually been thinking about starting kickboxing, but I have no experience so I would be no use as a gym buddy :colondollar:

I'll be more than happy to join a club with you as long as it isnt too costly and practise some basics - tbh i just want a friend to have a laugh with and to practise some stuff on the focus/kick pads with -- nothing major (:

soutioirsim
Just got a HUGE pack of stuff about lecture groups, summer work and lecturers!!

DAMN IT I WANT MY FRESHERS PACK HURRY UP HERTFORD/ROYAL MAIL
Original post by Longorefisher
Awww I feel mildly Stalked ( :tongue: ) (Actually, I had guessed you were Kirsty by some of the comments on the thread, just didn't want to be made out as creepy haha).

Yes haha I've heard stories from chemists twenty years ago who used to vent gases onto the street and every now and then there would be a large pop on the street. That hole does sound funny though!

Besides, going back to fun, you could argue that we get to spend days in labs doing some pretty amazing things, makes up for all the "Danger" I suppose :-P

Haha, sorry :rolleyes: What can I say, all the older years are very interested in you lot - after all, we've got to put up with you for 2+ years! They've thankfully fixed the hole, or so I've heard, but that doesn't change the fact that you have a dedicated sandpit on your roof for explosive experiments... The history department is very dull by comparison.

Original post by Anon1993
Haha as interesting as archery sounds, i think ima have to be realistic - i have absolutely no upper body strength :')
want to join sports societies, but im more of a social player - im not what you'd call great! But i like my swimming, and i want to get back into netball. .but Im worried that all the sports clubs are going to be really competitive :s-smilie:

Neither did I when I started, you'd be surprised...
DAMN IT I WANT MY FRESHERS PACK HURRY UP HERTFORD/ROYAL MAIL

To be honest, it has only been medical forms, internet forms and summer work. Nothing about actual freshers week yet :p:
Original post by soutioirsim
To be honest, it has only been medical forms, internet forms and summer work. Nothing about actual freshers week yet :p:

I got forms about internet and contracts and medical but no summer work ):

WHY AM I SAD ABOUT THIS?
Just found out that Oxford has a cheer squad so I guess I need to start practicing those toe touches again..I'd like to carry on with kickboxing too but im worried that my belts wont carry over..

You could always start up some Zumba-like hybrid of cheerleading and kickboxing :tongue:
Original post by shoshin
You could always start up some Zumba-like hybrid of cheerleading and kickboxing :tongue:

like unicycle hockey? :bunny:
Original post by soutioirsim

Magd gave me a Freshers' week timetable, and a letter from my dad! I can't count how many times I've read the student freshers' pack, it's such good fun. Sent all my forms off today, I want to wake up with tomorrow being October.

Picked up five of my history books from the reading list today, just having them feels like an achievement! It'll be a relief to read something in bloody English for once.
I just got a nasty learning curve in buying things from shops.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending