The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mann18
2 days?! It's 5 for us and I'm jittery as hell, along with excited though.

Yeah, we got some Roman and Constitutional Law related stuff to read, basically just to make sure we aren't thrown into the deep end.

You?

Five? dayum.

My college wasn't told to read anything, actually, in stark contrast to some others that were actually told to write essays before getting there. I bought consti, civil and tort introduction books to read before I went anyway, though.

The civil and tort books are pretty much untouched still :tongue:
Reply 4021
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Five? dayum.

My college wasn't told to read anything, actually, in stark contrast to some others that were actually told to write essays before getting there. I bought consti, civil and tort introduction books to read before I went anyway, though.

The civil and tort books are pretty much untouched still :tongue:

At least you've done some preparatory work though, should stand you in good stead. Good luck anyway, although I'm sure you'll be fine anyway.
Original post by Mann18
Nice to see you too :p:

How are things? I'm assuming you've been presented with an equally horrid reading list?

I've been good. Haven't packed despite the fact that I'm leaving in TWO DAYS, but I'm not panicking...yet!

Yup, I've got an 8 book reading list that I haven't touched! Yourself?

Original post by jonnyboy1993
Excuse me, but what the hell are you doing here? :tongue:

Gracing these poor, uneducated yobbos with my presence. I'm merely letting them see what they should aspire to be like.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4023
Original post by Doughnuts!!
I've been good. Haven't packed despite the fact that I'm leaving in TWO DAYS, but I'm not panicking...yet!

Yup, I've got an 8 book reading list that I haven't touched! Yourself?

Gracing thsese poor, uneducated yobbos with my presence. I'm merely letting them see what they should aspire to be like.

I haven't done anything other than reading, my mum keeps bugging me to get things, but she's well aware that ASDA is open 24hours, and contains everything I'll need.

Damn! An 8 book reading list?! And I like your style, going in blind, firing wildly in all directions. We were given two books to read, with a third as a suggestion.

At least these "poor uneducated yobbos" can spell "these"... just sayin'.

:p:

EDIT: Also, don't panic! You'll be fine!
Reply 4024
Original post by flywithemma

Urgh, having a last minute 'college says apparently i have to have antivirus for my mac' panic.

Nobody will bother to check for that, I wouldn't go out of your way to rush if I were you.
Do we have lectures next week between Wed-Fri, when freshers week is? Or do the lectures start on week 1?
Reply 4026
Original post by searchingshadow
Do we have lectures next week between Wed-Fri, when freshers week is? Or do the lectures start on week 1?

Lectures won't start til 1st week.
Original post by JGR
Nobody will bother to check for that, I wouldn't go out of your way to rush if I were you.

Ooh, so I'd still be able to connect to the network and stuff? I was just worried as 2nd years on the freshers pages said that without antivirus I wouldn't be able to get on to the internet/the university network, and I don't really fancy having to spend time sorting it out in freshers when there are a lot more fun things i'd like to be doing...:redface:
Original post by BJack
Lectures won't start til 1st week.

thats good, i was wondering where did you find this out from?
Original post by Mann18
Dewsbury, I had to commute there for a week, so I'm assuming you weren't blown away by the place on your visit :p:
We don't mention it when we're counting places in Yorkshire.

Hmm, if they allowed college collectives it could be done, might even forge new alliances, rather than just the rivalries that exist currently.

I wouldn't be too impressed, I just think it means that lots of people wanted to get onto the team but they didn't, so they made a second team.

So I assume practically everybody here discussing rugby intends to play for their college Union team at the very least?

I stopped playing when I started A2 and I'm missing it to the point that I'm having rugby relating dreams.
I'm clearly very desperate to start playing again...
Original post by Mann18
At least you've done some preparatory work though, should stand you in good stead. Good luck anyway, although I'm sure you'll be fine anyway.

You too man :smile:
Original post by The Anti-Hero
So I assume practically everybody here discussing rugby intends to play for their college Union team at the very least?

I stopped playing when I started A2 and I'm missing it to the point that I'm having rugby relating dreams.

As is illustrated to your recent change of display picture icon thing :tongue:
As is illustrated to your recent change of display picture icon thing :tongue:

Exactly!
Though I couldn't tell you if that was before or after the dream!
Original post by searchingshadow
thats good, i was wondering where did you find this out from?

Put 'Oxford Lecture Lists' into Google then click on the first link that comes up. Should have the lecture list for your subject on there

www.ox.ac.uk/students/course_guidance_supervision/lectures/
Original post by dbmag9
I haven't seen anything about it on the SF website. I'm starting to wonder if it's connected to whether you take out the maintenance loan, since I'm only getting the grant (income has still been assessed though, which I thought was the important thing). But I guess it'll sort itself out eventually.

I may well be wrong but my sister mentioned something about having to get the loan to be eligible for the OOB, as we were considering saving some debt and not taking the loan maybe next year, but then we'd lose our OOB or something so decided against that route.

Sorry if that's wrong or confusing!
Reply 4035

Well, I'm unsure, if it came down to it, I'd rather row/ play football I think. It's difficult to commit to anything without knowing our workloads and timetables.

:tongue: Dreaming about playing?! Damn, sounds like you have withdrawal symptoms.
Reply 4036
Original post by physicsfuntimes
I may well be wrong but my sister mentioned something about having to get the loan to be eligible for the OOB, as we were considering saving some debt and not taking the loan maybe next year, but then we'd lose our OOB or something so decided against that route.

Sorry if that's wrong or confusing!

The qualifications don't mention that though, they just say if your household income is under a certain threshold as evidenced by SFE, then you'll get the OOB.
Reply 4037
Original post by Mann18
Dewsbury, I had to commute there for a week, so I'm assuming you weren't blown away by the place on your visit :p:
We don't mention it when we're counting places in Yorkshire.

Haha yeh...land that time forgot.

I suppose I might if there's no league on the go.

I know what you mean! I keep finding myself trawling youtube for various 'NRL's biggest hits' type videos
Original post by rev_pain
We'll see, league does seem to be getting bigger 'daan saath' though. Surely colleges could pair up or something like that?
Nah, I'm from Newcastle but when I used to play league, back in the day, we had to go down to the deepest depths of the likes Batley and Dewsbury every week so it still is pretty Yorkshire-centric.

:eek: I'm impressed. St Hilda's

Hello fellow Tynesider!
Original post by Mann18
The qualifications don't mention that though, they just say if your household income is under a certain threshold as evidenced by SFE, then you'll get the OOB.

I've been looking around and have no idea where she got this from :tongue: so ignore me completely...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending