Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it bad i listen to music when revising? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just recently started to do this, well yesterday. haha. And i realised that i actually do remember the stuff i learn! I just feel like what i'm doing is wrong though, as music shouldn't be listened to when revising and that, and maybe ther's the slightest fear due to what people say about revising with NO music- a fear that i won't remember anything?

But, i've been revising economics, doing some questions and i can remember how to distinguish the imf from the wto? And what economic growth is and what economic development is. Also that st lucia is a country which relies on banana exports more than Ecuador because Ecuador exports oil too! I wouldn't have been able to remember anything without music, music just doesn't stress me out

Who else is able to revise with music in ears? when i'm reading, maybe not- but when i'm taking notes or doing practice questions it seems okay.

ReputationRep:
    poooy

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the person I guess. As long as it's not "lyric intensive" i.e. you find yourself singing along with it in your head then it's fine. Maybe it's a little better if you don't listen to it with earphones, but through speakers instead?

ReputationRep:
    I listen to music when revising.

I get no work done.

Maybe there's a correlation :moon:

ReputationRep:
    I find it difficult for some subjects: essay subjects and word-heavy subjects are not great for me when combined with - as Coda says - "lyrice-intensive" music. I find it easy when practising Maths though.

So it depends on the subject and type of revision you're doing. I find that classical music (Classic FM ) or electro are fine when revising and get rid of the silence which I hate Give Classic FM a go and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coda)
    Depends on the person I guess. As long as it's not "lyric intensive" i.e. you find yourself singing along with it in your head then it's fine. Maybe it's a little better if you don't listen to it with earphones, but through speakers instead?
    Speakers would just annoy me lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tripleeagle)
    I find it difficult for some subjects: essay subjects and word-heavy subjects are not great for me when combined with - as Coda says - "lyrice-intensive" music. I find it easy when practising Maths though.

So it depends on the subject and type of revision you're doing. I find that classical music (Classic FM ) or electro are fine when revising and get rid of the silence which I hate Give Classic FM a go and good luck!
    Maybe when practising and taking notes its easier withj music, because if i was trying to read alot i wouldnt take it in with music, however..its not like i take it in without music lol
    I usually listen to rock, something with a good beat and im fine. even if i am singing along with the lyrics sometimes, im still taking in what im revising. i just make sure i know the stuff, thus i re-write the answers etc till i know it properly

ReputationRep:
    It isnt really bad if you revise and learn with music.

Our counsellor had come up and said one day in class that it is not a good habit. But I have friends which really find music helpful.

But remember ==> constantly keeping the earphones dug up in your ears can cause harm to your ears at the later stage.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    There are studies that suggest that recall of information will be better when the situation in which it was learnt and recalled is the same - so there would need to be music in your exam. This said, it's not bad in and of itself and only you know if it affects you in a negative way. Many people find listening to quiet music, particularly of the classical variety, ostensibly helpful. Just do what feels right for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    There are studies that suggest that recall of information will be better when the situation in which it was learnt and recalled is the same - so there would need to be music in your exam. This said, it's not bad in and of itself and only you know if it affects you in a negative way. Many people find listening to quiet music, particularly of the classical variety, ostensibly helpful. Just do what feels right for you.
    Can i propse a bill for troll feed?

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what type of revision it is for me. If it is simply reading then music is a no go. If it is making notes and past papers (I never do past papers properly - dunno why) then yes, listening to music actually helps.

But it HAS to be through headphones/earphones otherwise I can't concentrate for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    I listen to music when I revise and i've never failed anything.. actually I do quite well in school. But then again I listen to music when I do everything else as well so I guess my brain is just very used to music and perhaps it's a comfort. Oh, and I listen to metal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purple_Plume)
    I listen to music when I revise and i've never failed anything.. actually I do quite well in school. But then again I listen to music when I do everything else as well so I guess my brain is just very used to music and perhaps it's a comfort. Oh, and I listen to metal
    Yayy metal chickkk! What metal bands :P

ReputationRep:
    I love listening to music when revising/writing essays/working in general. I find it really helps. However, it has to be music I already know the lyrics too otherwise I can't concentrate on my work. I guess that's a bit weird
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helpneeded-a)
    Can i propse a bill for troll feed?
    If you mean the HOC - you could actually yes. Just come get involved :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flossy_)
    I love listening to music when revising/writing essays/working in general. I find it really helps. However, it has to be music I already know the lyrics too otherwise I can't concentrate on my work. I guess that's a bit weird
    Same! If i don't really like the song i can't concentrate! good to know listening to music actually doesn't give you bad grades in the end! ;p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    If you mean the HOC - you could actually yes. Just come get involved :p:
    how ?

ReputationRep:
    yup I just cant seem to concentrate properly when theres music in the background

ReputationRep:
    I can't do it when I'm retaking notes/trying to learn/doing a past paper but if I'm doing questions from a booklet etc then I find it help. It motivates me. Although if it's John Barrowman I end up singing and getting distracted xD

ReputationRep:
    I listen to music, but only if there aren't any lyrics. You get distracted and tempted to sing along if there are lyrics.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.