Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should i appeal against this fine..? Watch

ReputationRep:
    was parked outside my friends house last night and found a fixed penalty notice.
    offence code N165 - shining other than a red light to rear (white reflection)

the fine is £30, which isn't that much but is an amount i'd rather not pay.
    Just wondering whether i should appeal because i've seen loads of cars with no red reflection from the rear lights e.g. corsa Cs (i have a corsa B) and also, all these coppers claim that 'ignorance is no excuse' but honestly, how the **** are you supposed to know when they don't exactly make the law clear. ive just been looking on the internet now for a list of laws for cars, or even laws in general, but there isn't one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilsea05)
    was parked outside my friends house last night and found a fixed penalty notice.
    offence code N165 - shining other than a red light to rear (white reflection)

the fine is £30, which isn't that much but is an amount i'd rather not pay.
    Just wondering whether i should appeal because i've seen loads of cars with no red reflection from the rear lights e.g. corsa Cs (i have a corsa B) and also, all these coppers claim that 'ignorance is no excuse' but honestly, how the **** are you supposed to know when they don't exactly make the law clear. ive just been looking on the internet now for a list of laws for cars, or even laws in general, but there isn't one.
    Yes there is. It's called the Highway Code.

Can't really see that you've got any grounds to appeal. Just because you've seen lots of other people do it doesn't mean it's allowed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)

Can't really see that you've got any grounds to appeal. Just because you've seen lots of other people do it doesn't mean it's allowed.
    Loads of people litter however, it doesn't mean if a copper fines you that you can appeal on the grounds that 'other people do it'. What you did is a clear violation (I admit, not a big one) but it's still punishable by fine. Don't waste time looking for laws, if you want to appeal that badly then you need a legal expert. There's a reason why studying law takes a long time.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by pinda.college)
    x
    if you can find where it says in the highway code then +rep for you.
    as far as i know (i've been searching for a bit) it does not specify that red light must be reflected from the rear. The only mention reflectors gets is that they must be clean.

ReputationRep:
    Wait, have you modified your rear lights at all, or are the exactly as they came out of the Vauxhall factory?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    Wait, have you modified your rear lights at all, or are the exactly as they came out of the Vauxhall factory?
    modified

ReputationRep:
    http://www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk/Corsa-B...hts-Clear.html
    These are the lights, just so you know

ReputationRep:
    modified
    You're **** out of luck then I'm afraid. My friend fitted something similar to his Mini and had to stick a set of secondary red reflectors on in order to stay the right side of the law. Your only hope is to refit the originals, claim they've been fitted all along and then appeal. Though I suspect they took a photo at the time and will know you're lying. Worth a shot though - worst that can happen is that the original fine still stands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    You're **** out of luck then I'm afraid. My friend fitted something similar to his Mini and had to stick a set of secondary red reflectors on in order to stay the right side of the law. Your only hope is to refit the originals, claim they've been fitted all along and then appeal. Though I suspect they took a photo at the time and will know you're lying. Worth a shot though - worst that can happen is that the original fine still stands.
    this is my point though - yes i'm in the wrong, but where is it made known that there must be rear red reflectors on the car? i've just trawled through the highway code and there is no mention of reflector colours. Where else might this be stated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    They will already have had the evidence, therefore removing it won't make a difference, but you could try appealing on the basis that you have undone the modification.....

Usually doesn't work though.

modified
    You only have yourself to blame..... but you could complain against the seller who sold it to you and see if they will return you your money if you make a big enough stink out of it.

ReputationRep:
    bump
    • TSR Support Team

Not much you can do other than pay the fine

ReputationRep:
    Not much point. Construction and use regs - see here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    Not much point. Construction and use regs - see here
    doesn't actually say that there must be a red reflection to the rear?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...lation/20/made

Have a look at this page it might change your mind.

It mentions refelctors in the Road vehicles Lighting Reg so a bit more digging will prove you wrong, just pay the fine and be glad that's all the police found wrong with your car and didn't give you any points.

ReputationRep:
    If a fixed penalty notice exists, then surely there will be a law to back it up.

ReputationRep:
    It does.

Read it

ReputationRep:

Yeah- i agree.
    Just pay the fine.

ReputationRep:
    It does towards the end of the sentence under regulation (2). Note particularly the words "other than a red light".

I'm a little confused about the actual offence that they are charging you with. Are they trying to say that a lamp was lit and was shining white? Or that there was no red reflector at all that returns white light as red when reflected?

The link you gave us regarding the type of light you fitted does say "These lamps are supplied with separate rear reflectors." Does this mean they came with legal red reflectors? If so, were they fitted? It is obligatory to have two rear red reflectors fitted to a car in addition to any lamps. Details are here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...hedule/18/made

The only way you can appeal the ticket is to prove that a contravention did not occur. You need to explain whether the lights were lit when the officer suspected an offence, whether red reflectors were fitted and working if the officer shone a torch at them - which sounds a more likely scenario.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advisor)
    It does towards the end of the sentence under regulation (2). Note particularly the words "other than a red light".

I'm a little confused about the actual offence that they are charging you with. Are they trying to say that a lamp was lit and was shining white? Or that there was no red reflector at all that returns white light as red when reflected?

The link you gave us regarding the type of light you fitted does say "These lamps are supplied with separate rear reflectors." Does this mean they came with legal red reflectors? If so, were they fitted? It is obligatory to have two rear red reflectors fitted to a car in addition to any lamps. Details are here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...hedule/18/made

The only way you can appeal the ticket is to prove that a contravention did not occur. You need to explain whether the lights were lit when the officer suspected an offence, whether red reflectors were fitted and working if the officer shone a torch at them - which sounds a more likely scenario.
    all my lights were off. there are red bulbs so that the brake lights and rear lights shine red, but i dont have any rear red reflectors, no. i had no idea they were compulsory, and it's not made very clear at all. i ctrl+f'd the link you posted and didn't find the word 'red' mentioned at all?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.