Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Worried about weight gained this holiday season Watch

ReputationRep:
    With all the parties, alcohol and food I have enjoyed this December, I have now gained a stone in weight. I also haven't been doing any exercise since November due to the weather conditions. I've gone from 8st to exactly 9st, I'm now worried I'll blow up.

Has any one else been gaining weight this season? Any action plans after new year? I guess I'll be drawing up a diet and exercise plan of some sort or just go back to what I was doing before November.

ReputationRep:
    Same! I haven't gained a stone but I've gained a bit
    I'm going to start going jogging again to try and shift it because I stopped, like you, due to weather conditions...running in the snow/ice doesn't sound fun to me!aha
    also if i roughly halve my calorie intake I can lose 3-4lbs in a week...i don't think that's very healthy though so I wouldn't recommend it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca :))
    Same! I haven't gained a stone but I've gained a bit
    I'm going to start going jogging again to try and shift it because I stopped, like you, due to weather conditions...running in the snow/ice doesn't sound fun to me!aha
    also if i roughly halve my calorie intake I can lose 3-4lbs in a week...i don't think that's very healthy though so I wouldn't recommend it!
    Lol, I think my diet plan will involve drastically reducing my calorie intake. It's just increased because of parties I've been going to, mainly people's work do's and evenings out. The more I start to eat, the more my body gets used to a lot of food so if I reduce my calorie intake it can go back to normal overtime.

ReputationRep:
    how much have you lot eaten? A stone in what two weeks? Flaming hell.

Ive eaten far more than i usually do and im fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    how much have you lot eaten? A stone in what two weeks? Flaming hell.

Ive eaten far more than i usually do and im fine
    I'd say over 4 weeks, I started going out around end of November and I'm not usually the going out type. Mainly work parties and people's random work drinks. I also have stopped exercising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babygirl110)
    Lol, I think my diet plan will involve drastically reducing my calorie intake. It's just increased because of parties I've been going to, mainly people's work do's and evenings out. The more I start to eat, the more my body gets used to a lot of food so if I reduce my calorie intake it can go back to normal overtime.
    When I do lose that amount I generally have a piece of fruit for breakfast, then a sandwich at lunch (with no butter, and use lean meat instead of cheese) and then my normalish portion of whatever for tea. But I weigh a few pounds more than you and usually end up dieting in summer even though you lose more weight in winter. So you might lose more than that if you did that, so it might not be a great idea because i don't think losing more than that could be very good for your body!
    Haha, I know what you mean, my body always hates me when I start to eat less! But it will get used to it in time!
    Also, alcohol. Lovely, but has loads of calories I always check the units but never the calories! Detoxifying alcohol actually slows down your metabolism so you use up less fat when you drink, so kind of a double energy intake

ReputationRep:
    I've visibly gained weight.......I'm just glad that I don't own scales :L

ReputationRep:
    A whole STONE? In just a month? WOW.

ReputationRep:
    I guess you just need to eat well and not over eat. Exercise an hour everyday and limit to fatty foods like cold drinks, bread, full fat diary stuff etc. You'll be back to normal when the holidays get over and you start with your daily routine. Chillax !

ReputationRep:
    I was expecting this, as my clothes feel somewhat tighter since Xmas eve. I got on my scales just now and found that I had lost a bit of weight, and am now questioning the accuracy of my scales. As soon as the snow clears up, I'm going back to my running plan.

ReputationRep:
    Why do girls care so much about their weight 8 stone is too thin, depending on your height and BMI!!!!! Go raid the fridge and eat all the cake OP. Contrary to popular belief being as thin as a stick is not good for girls!!!!

I'm weighing in at almost 13 stone at 6ft of height and I still look fairly thin.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, don't be worried. You're not first person to put on weight over the Christmas period and you certainly won't be the last; I've no doubt I have.

Secondly, weight gain is the natural cause of a high intake and low output; ie, high consumption of food and drink but low levels of exercise. You're putting in more than what your body can burn off and put out. It's nothing to be scared off, nothing to get upset about; it is what it is.

You've already stated that you're going to work at losing it so get started now. Use what you have at home. When you start your outdoor exercise plan, change it round. Don't follow something you've already done as you'll get bored quickly.

Edit. P.S. How old are you and how tall are you? Not being pervy; just want to try to give you an idea of what your weight should be. 8 stone sounds fine to me; but then I'm assuming your about 18 and mid 5 foot tall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ineedaplace)
    Why do girls care so much about their weight 8 stone is too thin, depending on your height and BMI!!!!! Go raid the fridge and eat all the cake OP. Contrary to popular belief being as thin as a stick is not good for girls!!!!

I'm weighing in at almost 13 stone at 6ft of height and I still look fairly thin.
    I'm really short though, 5 ft.

ReputationRep:
    Start exercising would be the first step into giving you a better conscience.

ReputationRep:
    haha...people always worry about what they eat between Christmas and New Year. I'd be much more worried about what you eat between New Year and Christmas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LandyJon)
    Firstly, don't be worried. You're not first person to put on weight over the Christmas period and you certainly won't be the last; I've no doubt I have.

Secondly, weight gain is the natural cause of a high intake and low output; ie, high consumption of food and drink but low levels of exercise. You're putting in more than what your body can burn off and put out. It's nothing to be scared off, nothing to get upset about; it is what it is.

You've already stated that you're going to work at losing it so get started now. Use what you have at home. When you start your outdoor exercise plan, change it round. Don't follow something you've already done as you'll get bored quickly.

Edit. P.S. How old are you and how tall are you? Not being pervy; just want to try to give you an idea of what your weight should be. 8 stone sounds fine to me; but then I'm assuming your about 18 and mid 5 foot tall.
    I'm 5ft, I'm 25 years old.

I think 8 stone is a healthier weight for someone like me, not sure anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Same for me. I'm 17 yrs old and I went from being 45kg to 47kg. Now i'm trying to lose weight again

ReputationRep:
    I lost weight! 2kg in a month

I was totally expecting to have gained weight from Christmas dinner, but I didn't phew.

ReputationRep:
    My legs are certainly looking curvier than they were before the snow D:

ReputationRep:
    Stop worrying about your weight and chill out. Take it step by step and hit the gym.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.