Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't know who I am or what I want to do with my life. Watch

ReputationRep:
    The title pretty much sums it up.. I'm 19 years old and in my second year of a psychology degree at university. I'm not sure why I even chose to do psychology. I was interested in it, I suppose, but I don't know if I want to have a career in it. It feels like I'm wasting my time doing something that I'm not 100% in to.

It seems like all my friends know what they want in life. They're all at university doing courses that they enjoy, and they know what they want to do after uni. My boyfriend knows exactly what he wants to do with his life, and I sometimes feel like we shouldn't be together because we're at different stages, I dunno. I feel really stupid when someones asks me what I want to do after uni, and all I can say is "I don't know yet."

I don't have a clue who I am as a person either. I don't know what my style is, and I don't really have any hobbies or interests. I just don't know how to express myself. I always feel like I'm really boring, and everyone else is way more interesting than I am. I know I'm only 19, but I feel like everyone else is making way more progress than me.

I don't know what I'm asking, I just needed to vent.

i feel exactly the same about my course ...same as you i am also in second year doing a computer science degree..and i HATE IT!

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine was telling me the same thing. She has no interests or hobbies, is doing a degree she doesn't like at all, and feels like she can't back out of it because she's already in her second year and her family's going through financial difficulties, like most of us.

However, thinking empathetically, I would think that these are probably your options:

1. Drop out. Get a job or go travelling. Contrary to popular belief, you don't need a degree to become successful in life. If you work just as hard for the years that all of your friends are wasting their time at university, then you're giving yourself a fantastic backbone for the rest of your life. Alternatively of course, you can go travelling and explore the world, if you haven't already.

2. Find some hobbies. Try and find something that interests you. Believe it or not, I didn't just wake up one morning and get really interested in gaming. I played with friends, talked about it, looked up stuff online. Games actually got me interested in movies, then certain movies got me interested in philosophy, and lo and behold, I'm now reading philosophy. Just one example out of countless others. People don't just get interested in sports - they try different ones out and know which one they like best. For example, I know I love swimming the most.

3. A lot of young people nowadays find some sort of peace or fulfilment in volunteering, although personally I don't see the appeal. You could volunteer and some sort of tuition centre, teach children, and so on.

4. You could stop giving a toss about what other people are doing with their lives. A psycology degree will prove to be useful in the coming years. If you're good at psychology and you're able to do the degree, what's the point of quitting when you can go through, get a valuable qualification and then decide what you want to do?

The main point I'm trying to make (even if my literary skills are that of a 5 year old) is that you don't need a degree. Even in this economic climate. School teachers just tell you it's the next stage of your life, when in reality about 70% of everyone that goes to university nowadays is giving £15k to do something they hate purely because they don't know what else to do. Here's a tip, find something else to do.

ReputationRep:
    Try looking out for stuff that interest you and get on it as a hobby. Read good stuff and it will in some or the other way help you. If you are not sure with psychology..try going for something you are sure you want to do.

Sit back...relax !! Think what you want and where you want to be in the future...I am sure your head isnt as blank as you are showing it here in TSR. You will get what you want.

Try imagining yourself in the future and the way you want your life...the place you want to work and the things that you would like to do. Take your imagination deep. You will find your true self.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bevs)
    The title pretty much sums it up.. I'm 19 years old and in my second year of a psychology degree at university. I'm not sure why I even chose to do psychology. I was interested in it, I suppose, but I don't know if I want to have a career in it. It feels like I'm wasting my time doing something that I'm not 100% in to.

It seems like all my friends know what they want in life. They're all at university doing courses that they enjoy, and they know what they want to do after uni. My boyfriend knows exactly what he wants to do with his life, and I sometimes feel like we shouldn't be together because we're at different stages, I dunno. I feel really stupid when someones asks me what I want to do after uni, and all I can say is "I don't know yet."

I don't have a clue who I am as a person either. I don't know what my style is, and I don't really have any hobbies or interests. I just don't know how to express myself. I always feel like I'm really boring, and everyone else is way more interesting than I am. I know I'm only 19, but I feel like everyone else is making way more progress than me.

I don't know what I'm asking, I just needed to vent.
    Heyy.. you should look at things in a positive way! I think the fact that you're not sure of who you are as a person, really means you're pretty much able to adapt to different situations and environments. Being persistant about what you want in life can be a good thing but people like that can have a hard time adjusting to situations in life where you don't get what you want.

There are lots of people who don't know what they want to do with their lives, that are a lot older than you, who turn out fine in the end. For example I know this one person who completed a degree in English Literature, changed her mind within months of graduating, and decided to go back to study Medicine! Don't worry if you're not sure yet. If I were you, I'd give a career in psychology a try, since you're already doing the degree... just give it a go and see how it turns out for you. Nobody's going to force you to stick with it forever.

I hope things work out for you in the end, but try not to stress over things too much. :hugs:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.