Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi guys
    if i am taking the career of business and commerce so then i need to take four A levels (English literature, math, physics and business studies or accounting ) i guess
    SO the question is that can i replace english literature or english of the A levels and do IELTS or TOEFL
    thank you very much for your help
    wish you all a great day

IELTS or TOEFL are not equivalent to A Levels, they just mean that you can write good enough English to make it in an academic environment.

ReputationRep:
      so that means that i have to take English in A levels if i want to do the business and commerce and so i cant replace it by IELTS or TOEFLS

thanks

ReputationRep:
      What the...?! Of course you can't replace A-level English with a TOEFL/IELTS test, they are in no way the same thing. A-level English is an actual academic course in English language or literature, whereas TOEFL and IELTS are language tests used to assess the level of English in those who don't speak the language natively.

ReputationRep:
      thanks bro
      and so do i really then have to take English in A level because i am a private candidate i do not go to school because i wanted to do A level in one year

Nobody is forcing you to take A Level English, if you are foreigner you will find it difficult to analyse English literature and it might affect your final grade. You will still need an English language qualification such as IELTS/TOEFL though, if you haven't spent enough time in an English language environment. The top universities favour 4 A levels nowadays so it is up to you to decide if you take 3 or 4 and if the 4th will be English or something else.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.