Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

American remakes of good horror suck / horror is still dead Watch

ReputationRep:
    They (Hollywood) remake them even a few years after the original release (Like the ring originally from Japan for example) water it down - lose all the horror and actually scary parts and it ends being being almost comical, I don't know at exactly what point the plot gets ridiculous and all elements of horror are lost though. Maybe from the beginning?

Let's see we've got The Ring 1 and 2, horriby un-scary, I was scared of the first (American ring) in 2004 or so. I was 14 when it came out

. The Grudge 1,2
    . When a stranger calls
    . Some other film revolving around phones and people dieing, I'll add the name when I remember it but a group of teenagers would get a text then die in a few hours.... yeah, a text

Then you have Hollywood touching the 'Un-touchable' classic horror/slashers and perverting them with modern-ness

. Friday the 13th the remake (09) - To be honest I don't think it was that bad, it was funny and generally well acted, it had it's cliches as every horror and slasher does but it wasn't terrible

. Nightmare on Elm Street the remake - Well No need for an actual review, me and my friend were laughing out loud at the back of the film at a few parts of it as were other people watching, it was an actual comedy

. The hills have eyes, 1,2,3 the remake - Just never been a fan, quite the ridiculous plot and the films just aren't scary, with all the deformities and characters joking around I can barely take the films seriously...

Oh and you have the occasional original film that's just so bad, it's good. A horror film that's unintentionally funny

. The Unborn

. Mirrors (If I'm not wrong and it is another re-make)

. Drag me to hell

. The Descent (part 1 anyway, not necessarily funny but scary either)

. Sorrority Row - Meh, wasn't too interested in the plot or anything like that... but it had several hot girls, which was a plus / the reason why 99% of guys actually went to see it anyway

In conclusion, good horror is dead and has been for a while now... maybe it'll get a sort of revival like Sci-Fi has in the past 1.5 - 2 years or so but it may be a long, long time coming

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be confusing several elements with your rant, at first criticising Hollywood and then just attacking any horror films. Suffice to say you are wrong about the Descent, the first is a fine film.

As for horror being crap, three films from the top of my head I can think of which suggest otherwise:

Cloverfield (2008).
    Triangle (2009).
    Monsters (2010).

Horror is not dead. The boundaries of it are simply changing. Horror is encompassing more and more areas, taking in documentaries (Collapse and Countdown to Zero are two of the scariest films you can watch) and becoming more and more post-modern with humour injected.

Horror is very much a phasic genre. Gore, realism and humour are in at the moment. Just because these aren't to your tastes, doesn't mean the genre is dead. Quality films are still being produced year after year.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Hollywood is filled with morons, everyone knows this. Horror is not 'dead'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    As for horror being crap, three films from the top of my head I can think of which suggest otherwise:

Cloverfield (2008).
    Triangle (2009).
    Monsters (2010).
    Not seen the other two, but Cloverfield was about as scary as your 5 yr old sister bursting in to your room and shouting "Boo!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noggins)
    Not seen the other two, but Cloverfield was about as scary as your 5 yr old sister bursting in to your room and shouting "Boo!"
    Scariness is not the only measure of a good horror film. Cloverfield was one of the best films of 2008.

And I found the scene in the subway tunnel pretty scary when I first saw it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget the Americanized version of "Let the Right One In", called "Let Me In".

But apparently it wasn't that bad.

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be confusing several elements with your rant, at first criticising Hollywood and then just attacking any horror films. Suffice to say you are wrong about the Descent, the first is a fine film.

Cloverfield (2008).
    Triangle (2009).
    Monsters (2010).

Horror is not dead. The boundaries of it are simply changing. Horror is encompassing more and more areas, taking in documentaries (Collapse and Countdown to Zero are two of the scariest films you can watch) and becoming more and more post-modern with humour injected.

Horror is very much a phasic genre. Gore, realism and humour are in at the moment. Just because these aren't to your tastes, doesn't mean the genre is dead. Quality films are still being produced year after year.
    Been out, I initially was just gonna make this thread about re-makes but decided to talk about modern original 'horror' as well which generally tends to suck and not be remotely scary

No, well The descent part 1 was ok for the first.... 45 minutes or so then it just sucked once the crawlers got revealed. They're just not scary at all, the idea of being attacked by loads of them is but individually just no, they look like a slightly changed Gollum from LOTR. The descent pt 1 had a great build up but poor execution, the remainder of it was cliché, uninteresting and I could care less whether the rest of the characters lived or not

Haven't seen Triangle, I'll check that. Cloverfield - I wouldn't even class as horror, it's a Sci-fi thriller/action film and I don't think it was scary at all tbh buuut I rate the film, the creativity and concept of it, it's awesome and Monsters I'm yet to watch, may do in a few days but I've heard good things

You're right about that, there are quality horror films that are genuinely scary but they're few and far between in modern cinema I find, the majority are generic slasher, slasher remakes and sell out horror films (Paranormal activity for example, Mirrors, The Unborn) that aren't even slightly scary

I'd argue that if you were to rate modern horror in terms of the ratio of good quality and highly rated horror films to trashy cliché crap that's being churned out into the mainstream box office every year by Hollywood then you could argue that good horror is 'dead', the good, quality horror films you'll rarely even hear or know about unless you're really into the horror film genre and have insider information / go on certain websites anyway

Anyway to mention some good ones - Pandorum (2009) a sci-fi horror, kinda reminiscent of the original Alien and it's pretty good, Rec (2008) I'm sure you'd have heard of this, a highly rated Spanish zombie flick set in a fire department station I believe, quite scary actually and very well made. Oh and there's an american sort of spin of Rec - Quarantine (2009) much of the same idea tbh but altered, saw half of it or so and it wasn't as good

Also Le Horde (2010) a french zombie flick, saw trailers for it, looks pretty good but haven't gotten around to watching it just yet.

I need to catch up on 2011 horror/slasher films coming out though... I barely know about any, apart from Scream 4

*And this is such a subjective subject really, different things are scary to different people so it's hard to just determine what most people find scary in a horror film and what most people don't find scary - I'm sure there are peeps that don't think Alien or the excorcist is scary, it's all relative to the viewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Been out, I initially was just gonna make this thread about re-makes but decided to talk about modern original 'horror' as well which generally tends to suck and not be remotely scary

No, well The descent part 1 was ok for the first.... 45 minutes or so then it just sucked once the crawlers got revealed. They're just not scary at all, the idea of being attacked by loads of them is but individually just no, they look like a slightly changed Gollum from LOTR. The descent pt 1 had a great build up but poor execution, the remainder of it was cliché, uninteresting and I could care less whether the rest of the characters lived or not

Haven't seen Triangle, I'll check that. Cloverfield - I wouldn't even class as horror, it's a Sci-fi thriller/action film and I don't think it was scary at all tbh buuut I rate the film, the creativity and concept of it, it's awesome and Monsters I'm yet to watch, may do in a few days but I've heard good things

You're right about that, there are quality horror films that are genuinely scary but they're few and far between in modern cinema I find, the majority are generic slasher, slasher remakes and sell out horror films (Paranormal activity for example, Mirrors, The Unborn) that aren't even slightly scary

I'd argue that if you were to rate modern horror in terms of the ratio of good quality and highly rated horror films to trashy cliché crap that's being churned out into the mainstream box office every year by Hollywood then you could argue that good horror is 'dead', the good, quality horror films you'll rarely even hear or know about unless you're really into the horror film genre and have insider information / go on certain websites anyway

Anyway to mention some good ones - Pandorum (2009) a sci-fi horror, kinda reminiscent of the original Alien and it's pretty good, Rec (2008) I'm sure you'd have heard of this, a highly rated Spanish zombie flick set in a fire department station I believe, quite scary actually and very well made. Oh and there's an american sort of spin of Rec - Quarantine (2009) much of the same idea tbh but altered, saw half of it or so and it wasn't as good

Also Le Horde (2010) a french zombie flick, saw trailers for it, looks pretty good but haven't gotten around to watching it just yet.

I need to catch up on 2011 horror/slasher films coming out though... I barely know about any, apart from Scream 4

*And this is such a subjective subject really, different things are scary to different people so it's hard to just determine what most people find scary in a horror film and what most people don't find scary - I'm sure there are peeps that don't think Alien or the excorcist is scary, it's all relative to the viewer
    I have to disagree about the Descent. On top of the almost unanimous acclaim it has, it made it into the top ten of 2005 for Sight & Sound magazine, which is pretty much the most respected top ten list in the world. It simply isn't a bad film.

Scariness is not the only determinant of a good horror film. The Exorcist is not particularly scary any more, and yet it remains one of the best horror films ever made. When films with new and interesting concepts are continuing to be produced, like Saw, Paranormal Activity (regardless of whether or not you like it, it had a strong concept) and Cloverfield, a genre can never be described as dead.

Furthermore, the idea of bad horror films is not a new phenomenon. Throughout cinematic history, horror has been on the most abused genres of them all. Derivative films have always existed, be it slasher, exploitation or more recently gore. The gems are still there, which is the important thing.

I have seen Rec, yes. It's a fantastic film. I didn't want to bring it up because I didn't want to give you more fuel that Hollywood remakes are bad. :p:

In terms of 2011, horror seems to be heading towards aliens. There's Super 8 from Abrams, Area 51 from the same man behind Paranormal Activity and Apollo 18, which looks fantastic.

7 minutes in Heaven will also be coming out at some point over the next couple of years...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noggins)
    do that when your playing with yourself or playing with someone else and then said five year old starts screaming the place down until mommy arrives and then the situation can become very scary indeed

ReputationRep:

Cloverfield (2008).
    Triangle (2009).
    Monsters (2010).

I agree with most of what you've said in this thread, but would you really classify Cloverfield and Monsters as horror? I've seen and thoroughly enjoyed both of them, but I wasn't left with an impression that they were horror movies? As you said the tunnel scene in Cloverfield does follow horror conventions, along with the scene where you see their infected friend 'burst' behind the curtains.. but I'd classify the films overall as more action/sci-fi/thrillers.

I guess to some extent it just comes down to personal opinion as the general cinematic experience of a film is a somewhat subjective one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue monday)
    Don't forget the Americanized version of "Let the Right One In", called "Let Me In".

But apparently it wasn't that bad.
    if you have seen Let the right one in, Let me in, is so bad they change some dialog removing all the suspense that movie should have, americans are so ****, they ruin it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cuckoo91)
    I agree with most of what you've said in this thread, but would you really classify Cloverfield and Monsters as horror? I've seen and thoroughly enjoyed both of them, but I wasn't left with an impression that they were horror movies? As you said the tunnel scene in Cloverfield does follow horror conventions, along with the scene where you see their infected friend 'burst' behind the curtains.. but I'd classify the films overall as more action/sci-fi/thrillers.

I guess to some extent it just comes down to personal opinion as the general cinematic experience of a film is a somewhat subjective one.
    There is quite a lot of overlap between the genres of horror, sci fi and thriller and the boundaries can become really blurred. Some of my favourite horrors, like Psycho and Silence of the Lambs, could just as easily be classed as thrillers.

On balance, I'd probably say that Cloverfield is a horror while Monsters is more of a thriller.

ReputationRep:
    I have to disagree about the Descent. On top of the almost unanimous acclaim it has, it made it into the top ten of 2005 for Sight & Sound magazine, which is pretty much the most respected top ten list in the world. It simply isn't a bad film.

Scariness is not the only determinant of a good horror film. The Exorcist is not particularly scary any more, and yet it remains one of the best horror films ever made. When films with new and interesting concepts are continuing to be produced, like Saw, Paranormal Activity (regardless of whether or not you like it, it had a strong concept) and Cloverfield, a genre can never be described as dead.

Furthermore, the idea of bad horror films is not a new phenomenon. Throughout cinematic history, horror has been on the most abused genres of them all. Derivative films have always existed, be it slasher, exploitation or more recently gore. The gems are still there, which is the important thing.

I have seen Rec, yes. It's a fantastic film. I didn't want to bring it up because I didn't want to give you more fuel that Hollywood remakes are bad. :p:

In terms of 2011, horror seems to be heading towards aliens. There's Super 8 from Abrams, Area 51 from the same man behind Paranormal Activity and Apollo 18, which looks fantastic.

7 minutes in Heaven will also be coming out at some point over the next couple of years...
    Well we'll just have to disagree there, personal taste imo, I'm aware of the acclaim it's gotten but I don't think it was very well made, also the ambiguous ending seems to have left a few people a bit annoyed cos of the 2 endings (UK and american one), one of the endings isn't ambiguous and has a set ending - I think that was the UK ending but The descent part 2 was made anyway... What do you think of pt 2 if you've seen it?

And you're right, character/character development, a solid and logical plot are needed, as well as acting quality and the pacing of the film itself. I find it interesting that films like Alien may not be scary to people anymore, I think it's frightening anyway (maybe not so terrifying cos it's what 31 years old now? No CGI) and true, the genre is ever changing and 'modernising'.

That horror film about getting texts on your phone that predict your death in a way making a spin on the ring, fair point but would you agree that the majority of mainstream horror films made these days, especially from big hollywood studios just aren't that good? I mean how many good horror films have you seen this year alone lol

We do still get these sort of stand out alternative 'horror' films that are reminiscent of extreme gore, disfigurement, violence from some niche films in the 80s/70s - Anti-Christ and The Human centipede come to mind

Rec's awesome, watched it on the recommendation of a friend and there's a sequel too, I love me some good Zombie films and hah yeah Quarantine wasn't all that.

I've heard of super 8 and Area 51, both are looking good. More than anything I like a creative and original concept for a horror film, rather than your typical torture/gore flick (Hostel/Saw) or a re-hashed horror film - The several excorcisms of this or that, the whole demonic posession thing has gotten old now, fast

ReputationRep:
    Well we'll just have to disagree there, personal taste imo, I'm aware of the acclaim it's gotten but I don't think it was very well made, also the ambiguous ending seems to have left a few people a bit annoyed cos of the 2 endings (UK and american one), one of the endings isn't ambiguous and has a set ending - I think that was the UK ending but The descent part 2 was made anyway... What do you think of pt 2 if you've seen it?

And you're right, character/character development, a solid and logical plot are needed, as well as acting quality and the pacing of the film itself. I find it interesting that films like Alien may not be scary to people anymore, I think it's frightening anyway (maybe not so terrifying cos it's what 31 years old now? No CGI) and true, the genre is ever changing and 'modernising'.

That horror film about getting texts on your phone that predict your death in a way making a spin on the ring, fair point but would you agree that the majority of mainstream horror films made these days, especially from big hollywood studios just aren't that good? I mean how many good horror films have you seen this year alone lol

We do still get these sort of stand out alternative 'horror' films that are reminiscent of extreme gore, disfigurement, violence from some niche films in the 80s/70s - Anti-Christ and The Human centipede come to mind

Rec's awesome, watched it on the recommendation of a friend and there's a sequel too, I love me some good Zombie films and hah yeah Quarantine wasn't all that.

I've heard of super 8 and Area 51, both are looking good. More than anything I like a creative and original concept for a horror film, rather than your typical torture/gore flick (Hostel/Saw) or a re-hashed horror film - The several excorcisms of this or that, the whole demonic posession thing has gotten old now, fast
    I don't think I've ever seen Part 2, certainly didn't leave a lasting impression if I have seen it.

Yeah, I think as technology advances films which rely on horrific scenes lose their impact. The films which still manage to be scary are those which are less concerned with the events than the motives or the randomness. Psycho is a prime example of this - the murder scenes are not particularly scary today, but the randomness of the attack leaves a lasting impression on you.

There are a lot more duds than successes in horror, but that's always been the case. If you even casually look over old films you can find a lot of bad horrors. This year I saw [Rec]2, Let The Right One In (and Monsters), which were pretty good films.

I would definitely recommend Rec's sequel - it's not as good as the original but it's probably something you'd enjoy.

I agree, I'm prepared to gloss over a lot of flaws if I can see something which surprises me. Although on that basis I have to say I really like the original Saw, when I first saw it I was blown away by it. The sequels then did their best to destroy that memory, but hey ho.

I'd usually agree with regards to exorcism films, but I did see the trailer for one which caught my eye. Seems like it might have potential and an interesting take, plus it has Hopkins:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I've ever seen Part 2, certainly didn't leave a lasting impression if I have seen it.

Yeah, I think as technology advances films which rely on horrific scenes lose their impact. The films which still manage to be scary are those which are less concerned with the events than the motives or the randomness. Psycho is a prime example of this - the murder scenes are not particularly scary today, but the randomness of the attack leaves a lasting impression on you.

There are a lot more duds than successes in horror, but that's always been the case. If you even casually look over old films you can find a lot of bad horrors. This year I saw [Rec]2, Let The Right One In (and Monsters), which were pretty good films.

I would definitely recommend Rec's sequel - it's not as good as the original but it's probably something you'd enjoy.

I agree, I'm prepared to gloss over a lot of flaws if I can see something which surprises me. Although on that basis I have to say I really like the original Saw, when I first saw it I was blown away by it. The sequels then did their best to destroy that memory, but hey ho.

I'd usually agree with regards to exorcism films, but I did see the trailer for one which caught my eye. Seems like it might have potential and an interesting take, plus it has Hopkins:

Flogging a several day old thread but I thought it was left a bit unfinished, Yep I agree with you on that point actually - The Strangers is a perfect example of a random attack thriller plot, quite a memorable film too

But yeah the effects become dated and a film can tend to lose its' scare factor, but if the film is really good then the concept, the idea of it will become timeless and it will always be referred to as a standard of a good horror film, e.g. The excorcist

Yep true, it's eye opening to think that film trends are just repeated through mainstream Cinemas' short 110+ year history or so, even the whole 3D coming into the mainstream, making it big and audiences getting sick of it and 3D going out of the mainstream, that happened 30+ years ago lol

Saw Monsters in full yday, quite liked it - it's got it's criticisms no doubt but I thought it was a good, different type of Sci fi thriller, need to see Rec 2 still and I will eventually

Saw, 7 films in 7 years. Enough said, high quality, memorable films almost can't be made in just a year or under that - truly outstanding, timeless classics can take years and years to make, as James Cameron would smugly tell any of us

Seems Interesting, may take a gander to that

and man I just saw the teaser trailer for Super 8... from the Promo website

http://www.super8-movie.com/ - I love modern interactive viral campaigns and films like this, it's awesome to not know anything and have it be a huge mystery and all but I'm really curious now, it's like the build up to Cloverfields' release all over again

Looking good though

ReputationRep:
    I agree, most horror films on Sky Horror are total bull****, they even commensurate to comedy :/

ReputationRep:
    The Thing and The Fly are fantastic remakes, but this is possibly down entirely to advancements in technology from when the originals were made. I thought Aja did a pretty good job with the Hills Have Eyes remake, actually

Oh and you have the occasional original film that's just so bad, it's good. A horror film that's unintentionally funny
    See One Eyed Monster, it's a hoot. Here's the synopsis;

Ten people travel into the mountains of North Carolina to shoot a porn movie. During a scene break early in filming Ron Jeremy gets hit by a shooting star and in the following scene his penis, now possessed by a sex-hungry alien, detaches itself, leaving Ron for dead. The remaining cast and crew theorize about the murdering penis' vulnerability after climax, 'when it is limp, and at its weakest'. They hatch a plan to lure the penis into a neuro-tactile simulator and then circumcise it with an ax during its 'refractory period'.
    The tagline is 'If you see it cumming...you're already dead'

Not unintentionally funny though, it's all very very intentional and is good for a laugh

ReputationRep:
    Japan seem to be one of the only countries to do horror properly, at least in my experiences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by westy89)
    Japan seem to be one of the only countries to do horror properly, at least in my experiences.
    You are very correct sir. Japanese filmmakers tend to have quite... vivid and creative imaginations to put it that way, their horror is really f'ed up, but genuinely frightening imo

Tetsuo 'The Iron man', it's a kind of horror / thriller, read the plot for it... it's so messed up :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Yep true, it's eye opening to think that film trends are just repeated through mainstream Cinemas' short 110+ year history or so, even the whole 3D coming into the mainstream, making it big and audiences getting sick of it and 3D going out of the mainstream, that happened 30+ years ago lol
    Now to mention that the post-production addition and the subsequent audience resistance is pretty similar to what happened when colour was first introduced. :teeth:

Saw, 7 films in 7 years. Enough said, high quality, memorable films almost can't be made in just a year or under that - truly outstanding, timeless classics can take years and years to make, as James Cameron would smugly tell any of us
    The films turned terrible because all of the talent involved in taking the first couple of films to release was sidelined to try and maximise the profit. It's not that much to do with how rapidly they've been released - after all, we got 3 Lord of the Ring films in 3 years. :p:

and man I just saw the teaser trailer for Super 8... from the Promo website

http://www.super8-movie.com/ - I love modern interactive viral campaigns and films like this, it's awesome to not know anything and have it be a huge mystery and all but I'm really curious now, it's like the build up to Cloverfields' release all over again

Looking good though
    If you're interested in the viral aspect of things, the website to go to is http://www.scariestthingieversaw.com/

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 4, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.