Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chain rule (university level, help desperately needed) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Here is my knowledge of the chain rule from first year (and I understand it all):

Spoiler:
    Show
    In my maths course, I was taught:

If g: R^n ---> R^m and f: R^m ---> R

And we have x = g(u) and y = f(x)

Then dy/dx = (\frac{\partial y}{\partial x_1}, \frac{\partial y}{\partial x_2}, ..., \frac{\partial y}{\partial x_m})

And dx/du = \displaystyle \begin{pmatrix} \frac{\partial x_1}{\partial u_1} & \frac{\partial x_1}{\partial u_2} & ... & \frac{\partial x_1}{\partial u_n} \\ \frac{\partial x_2}{\partial u_1} & \frac{\partial x_2}{\partial u_2} & ... & \frac{\partial x_2}{\partial u_n} \\ . & . & & . \\ . & . & & .\\ . & . & & . \\ \frac{\partial x_m}{\partial u_1} & \frac{\partial x_m}{\partial u_2} & ... & \frac{\partial x_m}{\partial u_n}\end{pmatrix}

Therefore, dy/du = dy/dx * dx/du

Which gives the set of equations

\frac{\partial y}{\partial u_1} = \frac{\partial y}{\partial x_1}\frac{\partial x_1}{\partial u_1} + \frac{\partial y}{\partial x_2}\frac{\partial x_2}{\partial u_1} + ... + \frac{\partial y}{\partial x_m}\frac{\partial x_m}{\partial u_1}

\frac{\partial y}{\partial u_2} = \frac{\partial y}{\partial x_1}\frac{\partial x_1}{\partial u_2} + \frac{\partial y}{\partial x_2}\frac{\partial x_2}{\partial u_1} + ... + \frac{\partial y}{\partial x_m}\frac{\partial x_m}{\partial u_2}

\frac{\partial y}{\partial u_m} = \frac{\partial y}{\partial x_1}\frac{\partial x_1}{\partial u_m} + \frac{\partial y}{\partial x_2}\frac{\partial x_2}{\partial u_m} + ... + \frac{\partial y}{\partial x_m}\frac{\partial x_m}{\partial u_m}

This all makes sense to me

The problem is now applying it to an economics problem. We have that

p = \begin{pmatrix} p_i \\ p_j \\ p_k \end{pmatrix}

Then we have three functions:

H(p, u)
    D(p, y)
    C(p, u)

u is a constant (but don't throw it out in your working please) and y = C(p, u)

You are given that H(\mathbf{p}, u) = D(\mathbf{p}, y). Then you replace y with C to get

H(\mathbf{p}, u) = D(\mathbf{p}, y) = D(\mathbf{p}, C(\mathbf{p}, u))

i.e. H(\mathbf{p}, u) = D(\mathbf{p}, C(\mathbf{p}, u))

Now you're asked to differentiate through with respect to p_j

The answer is H_j(\mathbf{p}, u) = D_j(\mathbf{p}, y) + D_y(\mathbf{p}, y)C_j(\mathbf{p}, u)

Where H_j means \frac{\partial H}{\partial p_j} and likewise for D_j and C_j.

Can someone work me through that differentiation in as many small steps as possible? It would really help me out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    (Original post by Fellas)
    Not sure if anyone else will bother hacking through the notation, so hoping you guys can help! I'm trying to prove the Slutsky equation, but I just don't get the chain rule differentiation that we keep doing in this course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    Draw the tree thingy.

D is a function of p and y

so you have 2 branches of D, p and y.

y = C(p,u) so draw two more branches of y for p and u

so if you differentiate wrt to p_j you get two terms, one straight from the p, and one through y and for this term it's where you use the chain rule. Don't know if that helps with understanding how it relates to the mathematical definition, but I remember this method from MA100 and just used it.

ReputationRep:
    Slutsky
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    Draw the tree thingy.

D is a function of p and y

so you have 2 branches of D, p and y.

y = C(p,u) so draw two more branches of y for p and u

so if you differentiate wrt to p_j you get two terms, one straight from the p, and one through y and for this term it's where you use the chain rule. Don't know if that helps with understanding how it relates to the mathematical definition, but I remember this method from MA100 and just used it.
    I've never seen this tree method. Can you see it anywhere in the MA100 slides or in the calculus book? Would help me a lot if you could reference it for me so I can understand it properly.

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen this tree method. Can you see it anywhere in the MA100 slides or in the calculus book? Would help me a lot if you could reference it for me so I can understand it properly.
    .http://people.usd.edu/~jflores/Multi...ain%20Rule.htm

ReputationRep:
    i dont know, i found it somewhere in my notes.

but rbn linked a good site, so thank you to him.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I make the tree out to be like so:

So when trying to work out \frac{\partial D}{\partial p_j}

From the left branch I get dD/dp * dp/dpj = dD/dpj

From the right branch I get dD/dy * dy/dp * dp/dpj = dD/dy * dy/dpj = D_yC_j

Add them and you get the right answer.

Is this the correct way of doing it or I have misunderstood?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I make the tree out to be like so:

So when trying to work out \frac{\partial D}{\partial p_j}

That's how I do it, and it also works for the supply function of the firm.

ReputationRep:

But yes. The slutsky equation is formed of the substitution and income effects. By doing the tree thing it looks like you are working out the separate effects (P, Y) and combining them.

I have something cool. Just working out how to get it on here:

http://img220.imageshack.us/i/202py.jpg/

Also just to add courtesy of Konrad Burchardi.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.