Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm currently studying as part of an exchange year at Washington State University. I was wondering if anyone knew anything / had experience getting a job for the summer after their exchange year or a job lined up for after they graduate?

I finish the first week of May & don't need to return till Sept so would like to possibly do some sort of summer camp job or possibly a summer intern-ship which could lead onto a job after I graduate or just a job lined up on the conditions of results of degree?

ReputationRep:
    Don't you need a work visa?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I think you're going to need a work visa...

I'm also going to study in America for 2011. What's it like?? Are American kids any different to British kids? Are Americans generally accepting of the British??

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theorb21)
    Hi,

I'm also going to study in America for 2011. What's it like?? Are American kids any different to British kids? Are Americans generally accepting of the British??

Thanks
    I'm American. We like Brits, especially the ones who sound like Jude Law and Orlando Bloom.

I can't speak for everyone, but I feel instantly connected to Brits, Australians, the Irish, etc. Language is the biggest cultural barrier, but that's not a problem for us, so, I think you'll have no problem making connections and making friends.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks
    Yeah you'll need a work visa if you want to work, unless you get paid under-the-table (i.e., tutoring or something).

European exchange students who visited my high school testified to how much... "larger" America is--in pretty much every sense. The buildings, the roads, the cars, and, of course, the people.

Americans love Brits, unless they're really redneck or white trash and all "amurica is the best goddamn country there ever was ya'll foreigners can gtfo". But you shouldn't find too many of those in Washington, I don't think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeStinks)
    Don't you need a work visa?
    Yes, I'd need work visa as my current expires after I finish studying this year (In May / June). Was hoping there may be someone who's been able to get a company to sponsor them for a work visa after being an exchange student. I feel it'd be a lot easier to be offered a job for after I graduate while I'm here rather then applying from abroad.

Hi,

Thanks
    It's amazing, the Americans are different in certain ways, I spent the first few weeks fascinated by things which now see as normal, also they will LOVE your accent & you can have some good fun messing with them about how England always sits down for tea + crumpets at 2pm etc etc. You'll find that people you spend a lot of time with will start to learn the English terms & love to learn about them....

ReputationRep:
    From what I hear H1B visas are like gold dust.

Especially as someone just out of university.

They have to make a case as to why you're oh so special and no American citizen could ever replace you and stuff. As someone so young with no/little real world experience it'll be hard. Probably ask around the tutors at the university if they can line anything up. Hopefully they like you.

Good luck, you'll need it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.