Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm asked to prove, using suffix notation, the following identity:

\nabla \cdot (\mathbf{A} \times \mathbf{B}) = \mathbf{B} \cdot (\nabla \times \mathbf{A}) - \mathbf{A} \cdot (\nabla \times \mathbf{B})

I know that [(\mathbf{A} \times \mathbf{B})]_i = \epsilon_{ijk} A_j B_k,  (\nabla \times \mathbf{A})_i = \epsilon_{ijk} \dfrac{\partial A_k}{\partial x_j}, and so on... I also know that \nabla \cdot \mathbf{F}= \dfrac{\partial F_i}{\partial x_i} where F is some vector field and that \mathbf{B} \cdot \mathbf{F} = B_i F_i and so on.

I'm struggling to link the definitions above, however. For example, for \nabla \cdot (\mathbf{A} \times \mathbf{B}) I'm struggling to show this in suffix notation. I tried writing it as \dfrac{\partial}{\partial x_l} (\epsilon_{ijk} A_j B_k)_l . Is it wrong to sum over a different index l or can I sum it over, say, i as well?

I also tried writing out the other terms in suffix notation, and got:

\mathbf{B} \cdot (\nabla \times \mathbf{A})_i = B_l (\epsilon_{ijk} \dfrac{\partial B_k}{\partial x_j})_l

again, is it wrong to sum over l and should I sum over i/j/k instead?

Thanks for any clarification

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    \mathbf{B} \cdot (\nabla \times \mathbf{A})_i = B_l (\epsilon_{ijk} \dfrac{\partial B_k}{\partial x_j})_l
    You can't write that. The quantity inside the bracket is already a scalar, so you can't have a further index on it. It's \mathbf{B} \cdot (\nabla \times \mathbf{A}) = B_i \epsilon_{ijk} \partial_j A_k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zhen Lin)
    You can't write that. The quantity inside the bracket is already a scalar, so you can't have a further index on it. It's \mathbf{B} \cdot (\nabla \times \mathbf{A}) = B_i \epsilon_{ijk} \partial_j A_k.
    Silly of me to forget that (especially how the whole point of suffix notation is to make vectors look cleaner :P), thanks very much!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to bump this thread, just one more question

I have to use suffix notation again to show:

\nabla \times \nabla \times \mathbf{A} = -(\nabla \cdot \nabla) \mathbf{A} + \nabla (\nabla \cdot \mathbf{A})

I've already been told that:

[(\nabla \cdot \nabla) \mathbf{A}]_i = (\dfrac{\partial^2 A_i}{\partial x_{1}^2} + \dfrac{\partial^2 A_i}{\partial x_{2}^2} + \dfrac{\partial^2 A_i}{\partial x_{3}^2})

I next evaluated the last term in the equation:

\nabla \cdot \mathbf{A} = \dfrac{\partial A_i}{\partial x_i}

thus \nabla (\nabla \cdot \mathbf{A}) = \dfrac{\partial}{\partial x_i} (\dfrac{\partial A_i}{\partial x_i}) = \dfrac{\partial^2 A_i}{\partial x_{i}^2}

Combining the two terms together (taking into account the negative sign in nabla^2 A) I should get

-(\nabla \cdot \nabla) \mathbf{A} + \nabla (\nabla \cdot \mathbf{A}) = -(\dfrac{\partial^2 A_2}{\partial x_{1}^2} +\dfrac{\partial^2 A_3}{\partial x_{1}^2}) - (\dfrac{\partial^2 A_1}{\partial x_{2}^2} + \dfrac{\partial^2 A_3}{\partial x_{2}^2}) - (\dfrac{\partial^2 A_2}{\partial x_{3}^2} + \dfrac{\partial^2 A_1}{\partial x_{3}^2})

Next I figured I'd go about evaluating the left hand side in hopes that its final expression will lead to a summation similar to above.

\nabla \times \mathbf{A} = \epsilon_{ijk} \dfrac{\partial A_k}{\partial x_j}

I think I might have got a little lost here though...

\nabla \times (\nabla \times \mathbf{A}) = \epsilon_{ilm} \dfrac{\partial}{\partial x_l} (\epsilon_{ijk} \dfrac{\partial A_k}{\partial x_j})_m = \epsilon_{ilm} \epsilon_{ijk} \dfrac{\partial}{\partial x_l} (\dfrac{\partial A_k}{\partial x_j})_m = (\delta_{jl} \delta_{km} - \delta_{lm} \delta_{kl}) \dfrac{\partial}{\partial x_l} (\dfrac{\partial A_k}{\partial x_j})_m

I can kind of visualise the answer from here as if j = k = l = m then the bracket containing the delta comes to 1-1 and in my RHS there are no expressions which involve dA_i / dx_i in it. I am, however, struggling to do the last line or two which proves that my expression above works? I can't really seem to understand what it means to have an 'm' suffix next to my differentiation term... I've also toyed around with different combinations of j, k, l, m and can't seem to get much.

any help much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    \nabla \times (\nabla \times \mathbf{A}) = \epsilon_{ilm} \dfrac{\partial}{\partial x_l} (\epsilon_{ijk} \dfrac{\partial A_k}{\partial x_j})_m = \epsilon_{ilm} \epsilon_{ijk} \dfrac{\partial}{\partial x_l} (\dfrac{\partial A_k}{\partial x_j})_m = (\delta_{jl} \delta_{km} - \delta_{lm} \delta_{kl}) \dfrac{\partial}{\partial x_l} (\dfrac{\partial A_k}{\partial x_j})_m
    It's the same mistake again - you can't have a subscript on a scalar! It's \left[\nabla \times (\nabla \times \mathbf{A})\right]_i = \epsilon_{ijk} \partial_j \epsilon_{klm} \partial_l A_m.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    thus \nabla (\nabla \cdot \mathbf{A}) = \dfrac{\partial}{\partial x_i} (\dfrac{\partial A_i}{\partial x_i}) = \dfrac{\partial^2 A_i}{\partial x_{i}^2}
    \nabla \times \mathbf{A} = \epsilon_{ijk} \dfrac{\partial A_k}{\partial x_j}
    Be careful when you write something like this - you mean to say the i-th component of the vector on the LHS is equal to the RHS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zhen Lin)
    It's the same mistake again - you can't have a subscript on a scalar! It's \left[\nabla \times (\nabla \times \mathbf{A})\right]_i = \epsilon_{ijk} \partial_j \epsilon_{klm} \partial_l A_m
    Hmm, I'm definitely not understanding it now then; where in my expression was I summing a scalar?

Also, I'm looking at the new expression and it'sstarting to make sense now So that means the product of the epsilon terms will be

\delta_{il} \delta_{jm} - \delta_{im} \delta_{jl} yes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    Hmm, I'm definitely not understanding it now then; where in my expression was I summing a scalar?
    (\epsilon_{ijk} \dfrac{\partial A_k}{\partial x_j})_m — the expression inside the brackets is a scalar. (To be precise, it's a family of scalars indexed by i.) It doesn't have any components to be indexed by m.

On the other hand, \epsilon_{ijk} \mathbf{e}_j \times \mathbf{e}_k is a family of vectors indexed by i, so you can have a further subscript m to indicate its components: in particular, \left[ \epsilon_{ijk} \mathbf{e}_j \times \mathbf{e}_k \right]_m = \delta_{im}. However, mixing vectors and suffix notation like this is considered bad form and should be avoided.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.