Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to cut your parents out of your life completely? Watch

I am 19 and a student at Uni. I was living at home for Uni but things just got unbareable, my mother has a serious drinking problem and my father is very abusive.

I left home about a month ago and have no intentions on going back. My parents have still been trying to contact my work, university and my friends to try and gather as much information as they can on me and have been sending me absuive emails taunting me with this information.

At the moment I am trying to apply for a loan and bursary so I can afford a place to stay (I am sleeping on friends' sofas) and I'm looking at trying to find a way to completley shut off my parents once and for all?

I have already changed my mobile number and deleted a considerable amount of people off of Facebook and now I'm looking at some form of legal empancipation from them or some concrete proof that my parents and I are no longer in contact and I have no intentions on reconciling with them?

PS - Just to say I live in Scotland. That can sometimes make things a little different lol.x

Have a chat with the cops.

ReputationRep:
      legal emancipation should help with the financial situation.

Sounds tough, I've a friend going through similar at the moment, her mum's been emailing her university tutors as some sort of revenge as well. But she's so much happier now that she can live her own life!

Good luck.

(Original post by Lumi Nous)
      legal emancipation should help with the financial situation.

Sounds tough, I've a friend going through similar at the moment, her mum's been emailing her university tutors as some sort of revenge as well. But she's so much happier now that she can live her own life!

Good luck.
      How would I go about getting the legal empancipation do you know?

I am so much happier being in this messy situation than I am being at home. It's just hard because my parents are being so malicious. I just wish that they'd leave me alone.x

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Anonymous)
      How would I go about getting the legal empancipation do you know?

I am so much happier being in this messy situation than I am being at home. It's just hard because my parents are being so malicious. I just wish that they'd leave me alone.x
      I'm not totally sure but I think you have to file a petition or something.

Sounds tough - well done on getting through it all & making it to university! My friend with the messed up home life is one of the most admirable and strong people I know, I really respect her for all she's gone through.

ReputationRep:
      I thought emancipation was necessary only for minors? Since you are an adult, it is up to you to completely cut yourself from your parents. A friend of mine simply wrote to Student Finance and told them he was no longer living with his parents and they weren't in contact, this was enough for them to give him the loan without proof of parents' income etc. Phone your uni/Student Finance and inquire about it.

ReputationRep:
      You're 19, they have no legal control over you anyway.

ReputationRep:
      For the purpose of student finance you will need to prove that you have no contact with your parents anymore, for that they normally require a letter from a social worker, police officer etc.

Also, change your email address and ask people not to pass any information on about your whereabouts. You would be surprised the amount of information people give away without even realising.

ReputationRep:
      I went through something similar at the beginning of this year with student finance, and they won't class you as an independant student unless you're either over 25, or married. If you're neither, I'm afraid that even if you never speak to your parents again, it will be their income that matters with regards to you getting finance.

ReputationRep:
      I'd really recommend going to see your tutor, the financial representative at your univerisity and also citizens advice.
      As mentioned before, it may be impossible to be classed as an independant student just because they often ask that you have cut all ties for 3 or more years and can prove you have had a wage above a certain amount to provide for yourself do the duration of that time.
      However, if you actually don't have contact with them for them to Ben provide info to student finance things could be different. Thats why it's worth talking to representatives at your Uni as they can help fight your corner etc.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 27, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.