Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    I was reading an interesting piece on how the internet has affected family life. It took an interesting take that we don't see too often - rather than saying how bad the internet is for families and communications it looks at it in a positive light.

It got me thinking of what the internet has done for me and my family. I can chat with my mum whenever I want through email, even when we're not available at the same time. We made contact with one of my uncles who;s been out of touch with family for 30 years. I've met plenty of people who I'd now call friends who I'd never have otherwise met. I'm also able to keep in touch with old friends all around the world who I'd otherwise have lost touch with. Far from hindering communications, the internet is giving many different opportunities for improved communications.

So what's it like for you? Does the internet damage your family life or improve it? Do you have any interesting stories on how communication via the internet has lead to things that wouldn't have happened if you'd stuck to traditional ways of communicating?

ReputationRep:
    Obviously the internet is a tool with advantages and disadvantages....it's in the way that you use it.

The only way the internet can affect family life is when the usual day to day routine is disturbed. This is presumably because one of the family members has become addicted to it, or rather, addicted to certain parts of the internet like facebook or MMORPGs and will use this as a procrastination tool.

I recall reading an article where a child starved to death because both parents were addicted to World of Warcraft. It literally did kill family life.

ReputationRep:
      We have forced time limits on the computer.

So my family killed my internet life :shifty:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by n1r4v)
      We have forced time limits on the computer.

So my family killed my internet life :shifty:
      haha poor u

ReputationRep:
      It's quite good for me when I'm at uni because I can still talk to my family more cheaply than I'd be able to otherwise. However, my brother tends to spend a lot of time in his room on his laptop so we see less of him now than we did before he got it, so I suppose there are good and bad bits to it, like most things.

ReputationRep:
      If you were to spend all day on the internet, then obviously it's going to have a negative impact on family life. The internet is a very useful tool for communication, and I have also been able to keep in touch with many cousins and relatives who I hardly ever get to see.

Everything in moderation.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.