Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lifting makes me hot Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ... take that as you will.

I'm blogging this because it helps me to see where improvements need to be made - particularly in diet, and also to keep track of lifting progress.

I started a HIIT routine over a year ago but I failed. I won't go into details but I'm sticking with the lifting and doing a little light cardio in conjunction.

Although I know what I plan to do, criticisms are welcome. I'm mostly clued up but am no expert

So first things first:

I plan to follow http://newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2...ipped-5x5.html

So to summarise:

Workout A
    5x5 Barbell Deadlift - @ 40kg
    5x5 Barbell Bent-over Row - @ 20kg
    5x5 Barbell Military Press - @ 20kg

Workout B
    3x8 Barbell Squat - @ 20kg (I have tight hamstrings so will be low weight, more reps until I improve - suggestions welcome here)
    5x5 Barbell Bench Press - @ 15kg
    Chin ups - This could pose a problem as I have no bar. Could buy one, but if I'm not strong enough yet, how do I practise? (Help here would be good too )

I was previously using higher weights but due to a long break I'm reducing, obviously

On 'off' days I will be going for a short run, or other medium intensity cardio activity.

Stats:
    22 years old
    5ft 1
    11 stone

Luckily both my parents have started to work evenings, which means after I come in from work I have no-one there to tell me that working out in the rain is bad for me, feeding me pies and telling me that fruits, nuts and seeds are high in sugar and fat and that I shouldn't be snacking anyway :rolleyes:

I'm going to plan a basic diet just so I remember to keep these things in stock. Please note that I'm not overly rich so will sometimes have to live on Mom's rubbish.

Breakfasts: Oats/ Fruit/ Eggs
    Snack: Fruit (apple/ banana/ orange)
    Lunch: Dark Rye Ryvitas (+salad and mayo/ tuna)/ Baked Potato (+tuna/ cottage cheese/ veg)/ Soup
    Snack: Nuts/ Fruit
    Dinner: Whatever is in.

That should do for now Advice welcome. I'm off to clear the snow off the garden... as fast as I can haha.

Oh and I'm gona include a few motivational pics soon. Maybe I should get on of the computer calendar/ reminder things too so I don't suddenly forget that I own a barbell.

ReputationRep:
    In to watch...

How are you going to bench barbell press 15kg?

The bars in my gym are 20kg on their own...

Also, good luck...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    In to watch...

How are you going to bench barbell press 15kg?

The bars in my gym are 20kg on their own...

Also, good luck...
    The one I bought weighs very little - it's a York 50kg set. The one I used at the gym when I first started was 20kg so I know that what I'm using is roughly the same. If/ when I get past 50kg I guess I'll have to start going to the gym?

Subscribed. :yy:

ReputationRep:
      In the interest of being motivated, I start blogging today. Easing into things a bit

2 scrambled eggs with chopped salad tomato and 2 slices of granary bread.
      An Apple
      Cold turkey, mash and veg
      Satsuma
      Olives, crackers, nuts and brie.

Ran 2x 1 mile, split by a 2 minute walk.

Tomorrow = Workout A

ReputationRep:
      Hmm so I wasn't able to get the weights out. Extra early morning for me tomorrow to make sure it can be done I think!

So instead it has been 45 minutes light cardio. Not so bad... better than sitting on my ass all day.

Porridge with a banana
      An apple
      Haddock and salmon fishcake with jacket potato, carrots, broccoli and sweetcorn
      Olives, crackers, cheese, carrot
      2 little chocs, yum.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
      Workout A
      5x5 Barbell Deadlift - @ 40kg
      5x5 Barbell Bent-over Row - @ 20kg
      5x5 Barbell Military Press - @ 20kg

Workout B
      3x8 Barbell Squat - @ 20kg (I have tight hamstrings so will be low weight, more reps until I improve - suggestions welcome here)
      5x5 Barbell Bench Press - @ 15kg
      Chin ups - This could pose a problem as I have no bar. Could buy one, but if I'm not strong enough yet, how do I practise? (Help here would be good too )

I was previously using higher weights but due to a long break I'm reducing, obviously
      barbell.
      You military press 20 kg, yet only bench 15kg? or do you mean 15kg in each hand?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by xc1991)
      You military press 20 kg, yet only bench 15kg? or do you mean 15kg in each hand?
      Oh, ha that does look a bit odd. Well I know I can MP 20kg but haven't benched anything for a while so was gona start at 15kg first. As it happens my Mum gave my bench to my brother, so I guess this lift is going to be replaced anyway. Not impressed.

ReputationRep:
      Workout A

Deadlift
      1x5 @ 40kg
      4x5 @ 42.5kg

Bent-over Rows
      1x5 @ 20kg
      1x5 @ 22.5kg
      4x5 @ 25kg

Military Press
      4x5 @ 20kg
      1x3 @ 20kg - Improvement needed I think

Horrible prepared oat porridge
      Apple
      Prawn cocktail
      Trout fillet and Piri Piri Veg Pot (Potato, Red Pepper, Onion, Tomato, Pinto Beans)

ReputationRep:
      I can see me getting addicted to this Iron Cardio :yep:

Descending sets 1x6 - 1x1

Deadlift
      Romanian Deadlift
      Bent-over Row
      Power Clean
      Front Squat
      Push Press
      Back Squat
      Good Morning

It was knackering at speed, but manageable. So whether to increase weight or reps?

1 scrambled egg + mayo as I was gobbling and didn't want it to taste like **** :ahee:
      Salad: Lettuce, cucumber, tomato, peppers, olives, celery. With spicy chicken breast. - Would have been with chips but they got my bloody order wrong :grumble:
      Apple
      Jacket potato, trout fillet, carrots, broccoli and sweetcorn

And I feel about ready for bed... or a bloody good stretch perhaps

ReputationRep:
      Friday: Lifting day

Workout B

Back Squats
      1x16+ @ 20kg
      1x16+ @ 22.5kg
      Clearly underestimated
      1x16 @ 25kg - Will start here next time; I'm sure a few sets will be a little less easy.

Also to note. My depth was actually a lot better once I'd piled some weight on. So I will worry less about this

Military Press - As I have no bench
      2x5 & 1x4 @ 20kg Need some work.

Need to find something else here as well actually hmm, workout B needs a rethink.

1 scrambled egg and 2 lean slices of bacon
      Pizza
      Random buffet food and a fairy cake
      Wine

ReputationRep:
      Monday 3rd - Back to work on the 5th, booo!!

Workout A

Deadlift
      5x5 @ 42.5kg - Will increase reps before increasing weight

Military Press
      4x5 @ 20kg - Room for improvement.

Bent-over Rows
      6x5 @ 25kg - Increasing to 27.5kg as it wasn't too difficult.

Mini Cheddars
      Jacket potato with carrots, brocolli and sweetcorn and fish.
      Crackers with cheese, corned beef, coleslaw and a little sausage roll.

Can you tell we have no food in :rolleyes:
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      Generally it isn't advisable to do five sets of five on the deadlift as it is a highly stressful exercise. You'll progress just as well with one set and probably remain fresher for longer.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Smack)
      Generally it isn't advisable to do five sets of five on the deadlift as it is a highly stressful exercise. You'll progress just as well with one set and probably remain fresher for longer.
      I've heard this for higher weights, but was under the impression that while my weight is really low it's fine to do multiple sets. At the moment I can't lift much more while maintaining form, yet 1 set would probably not be very tiring. Thoughts?
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      I've heard this for higher weights, but was under the impression that while my weight is really low it's fine to do multiple sets. At the moment I can't lift much more while maintaining form, yet 1 set would probably not be very tiring. Thoughts?
      It's all relative to your current limits and recovery abilities. If your 1RM was 100 then doing many sets of 80 x 5 would tire you out fast. But if it was 200 then 80 would be absolutely nothing.

Lifting doesn't have to be tiring. If you can get the same results without it being tiring then what's the point?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Smack)
      It's all relative to your current limits and recovery abilities. If your 1RM was 100 then doing many sets of 80 x 5 would tire you out fast. But if it was 200 then 80 would be absolutely nothing.

Lifting doesn't have to be tiring. If you can get the same results without it being tiring then what's the point?
      Thanks for the advice. It's a little difficult as I don't know my limit; can't fit more than 42.5kg on my bar, so I'll have to see next week. But your advice is gratefully received and when I'm back at the gym I'll be looking more at weight than reps. Cheers.

And now I've stopped stressing about interviews I'm back to blogging.

Nom Noms:
      Banana
      Chicken and salad wholegrain baguette
      Couple of biscuits - Gingers, yum
      Pasta with tuna and mayo
      Some kind of tinned fruit being as there is nothing fresh in :rolleyes:

Going back to the gym as of next week to lift real weight and get some on the job advice... excited.com. So today was a bit of a push so that I don't get to the gym, panic, and go round flinging 20kgs around. Maxed my bar out - why do the sell 50kg worth of discs with a bar that can only fit 42.5kg on it??

DLs @ 42.5kg
      Squats @ 40kg as I couldn't lift 42.5kg over my head. FML.
      8 OHPs @ 30kg :proud: - Best yet as all my previous OHPs were pussy attempts.

ReputationRep:
      DLs @ 42.5kg
      8 OHPs @ 30kg :proud: - Best yet as all my previous OHPs were pussy attempts.
      Very nice OHP. I'm impressed.

Keep it up etc...

ReputationRep:
      If you can balance it on something above belly height you should be easily able to crouch under it and lift off in a bottom ass to grass dead start position. Make sure it's firmly held (don't want it snapping your neck) and be careful not to overdo it with your back.

ReputationRep:
      Long time no SPEAK! someone's gone up in the world!
      overlord??!?!?!?!?!?

ReputationRep:
      Jealous of your OHP!

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.