Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I think I may be depressed.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    --

ReputationRep:
    Open the beers and spill it out!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    It seems like it is situational, rather than actual depression.

I'm not trying to say you're not depressed or you're making a mountain, but I'm not a GP.

I think seeing a counsellor would be really helpful for you, it's easier than you would think. If you're still having trouble, go to your GP.

ReputationRep:
    Join a club

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noniona)
    So basically since the start of college in September I've been feeling more and more upset. I hate college, have hardly any friends left as I lost touch with most of them after school, and I feel so out of place in my family. I have nothing in common with them, and I never go round to my aunts and cousins houses because I feel like I shouldn't be there; I end up sitting in a corner quiet, because no one talks to me, even when I try to start a conversation.
    Now don't get me wrong, I love my mum and I feel awful for putting her through this; she doesn't know why I'm so angry and upset all the time. I feel like her can't tell her anything, not because of her, but because I just can't express my feelings properly to anyone.
    I used to have great friends and I had a lot of fun with them but when I lost touch with them I realised I now have absolutely no one to talk to, and I haven't had a good, proper laugh since school.
    College is awful, I have an exam at the start of January and I know for a fact I'm going to fail because even though all I do is revise I feel like nothing is going in; I can't remember anything, and I end up reading the same thing over and over again. I really need someone to talk to, someone I can tell anything to, but I can't seem to make any friends.
    Like I said I find it hard to tell people how I'm feeling so it would be pointless seeing a counsellor, and I'd probably have to tell my mum that I'm seeing one anyway. I don't think I'd be able to open up to a counsellor.
    I cry every day and I feel so angry and upset all the time.
    Sorry for writing so much but I really needed to get it off my chest.
    I find it incredibly hard too talking about feelings too, bordering on 'it's impossible' sometimes, but I went to see a counsellor cuz I was feeling similar to you and it had all been building up for a long time. It wasn't easy at first but it has been good to talk and you'd be surprised at how much easier it can be to talk to an unbiased stranger than it is to talk to a friend/family member. I'm sure you could do it without your mother knowing - your college must run a service?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mister Bean)
    Open the beers and spill it out!
    hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noniona)
    So basically since the start of college in September I've been feeling more and more upset. I hate college, have hardly any friends left as I lost touch with most of them after school, and I feel so out of place in my family. I have nothing in common with them, and I never go round to my aunts and cousins houses because I feel like I shouldn't be there; I end up sitting in a corner quiet, because no one talks to me, even when I try to start a conversation.
    Now don't get me wrong, I love my mum and I feel awful for putting her through this; she doesn't know why I'm so angry and upset all the time. I feel like her can't tell her anything, not because of her, but because I just can't express my feelings properly to anyone.
    I used to have great friends and I had a lot of fun with them but when I lost touch with them I realised I now have absolutely no one to talk to, and I haven't had a good, proper laugh since school.
    College is awful, I have an exam at the start of January and I know for a fact I'm going to fail because even though all I do is revise I feel like nothing is going in; I can't remember anything, and I end up reading the same thing over and over again. I really need someone to talk to, someone I can tell anything to, but I can't seem to make any friends.
    Like I said I find it hard to tell people how I'm feeling so it would be pointless seeing a counsellor, and I'd probably have to tell my mum that I'm seeing one anyway. I don't think I'd be able to open up to a counsellor.
    I cry every day and I feel so angry and upset all the time.
    Sorry for writing so much but I really needed to get it off my chest.
    Sorry to hear that. I get depressed with exams around the corner and I feel trapped. Try talk to someone about it. Drop me a pm if you wanted to chat about it, I went through the same last year and I moved college to where all my mates where.

Dont suffer alone.

ReputationRep:
    But do you have the desire to go out and see friends and have a laugh? Would you say you'd still be able to gain enjoyment from this? If so (and it sounds like you do), then I'd say it's probably not actual pathological depression but rather a reaction to your current circumstances. It does sound like you are in an unpleasant situation at the moment. Perhaps a key area to develop would be to understand why you are feeling so out of place with your family at the moment, particularly your mum?

ReputationRep:
    I think you've taken a big step in asking for advice, so first off well done.

You said you may have a problem sharing how you are feeling, what would you think about writing it down and sharing it with your GP/counseller at college. It's unfortunate but these feelings won't go away by ignoring them and you just have to face them head on..

You are going to alot of changes through life at the moment, exams can all take alot of changes. It's natural that these can intefere with how you are feeling. Have you been eating properly i.e plenty of fruit and vegetables, participating in exercise?

About this exam in January could you apply for stress leave, if you are under plenty of stress surely the college can accomadate this and allow you to sit the exam at a later date..

To sum you: You can get through this, you won't always feel like this...

what i would recommend would be : see a school counseller asap/doctor asap.. (share what you're feeling, maybe diary idea?)

try and get a good multivitamin, plan things to do in the day that you actually like doing ie (things that make you laugh, maybe watch a funny dvd or something?) ( i know that you may not want to do this, but how about just for five ten minutes?)

Big hug your way dear x ((Hug))

PS: PM if you want to chat xx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.