Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Scar removal or reduction cream. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a small scar on my arm and its very visible when i wear short sleeve tops and i basically want to get rid of it.

Does anyone know any good products i cant really find any they all dont seem to work.

ps it has complety heeled.

Thank You

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried Bio-Oil? Use 2-3 times a day and it should help visibly reduce the scar, I have used it myself.

ReputationRep:
    Bio-oil but as a cheaper alternative, cocoa butter works wonders - on stretch marks too

ReputationRep:
    Or u can buy some spray tan that matches ur skin colour and spray it on the scar.

ReputationRep:
    Massaging cocoa butter into it apparently works, and I also had some scar reduction serum (from Boots I think) which also can be massaged into the scar. The massaging is important.

However, none of these really worked well enough for me, and even a course of injected steroids didn't work so in the end I had plastic surgery to remove the scars.

ReputationRep:
    Dermatix is good for this. Its a silicone based treatment for scars. Works on keloids etc. 2 years ago had a throidectemy and had a scar at the base of my neck. It was quite rasied. Used a silicon sheet and within 2 weeks then scar had flattened and faded. I was lucky enough to have a kind doctor prescribe me a large roll so 2 years on have alot left. Now just use it for scars as a result of spots. Can also use make up over it.

Its not exactl cheap but if it really bothers you its worth looking into or knowing about...They stock it in lots of places on the internet so shop around for a good price.

This is the website http://www.dermatix.co.uk/

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I know this is probably not what you're looking for, but remember that it's probably a lot more noticeable to you than anyone else. I definitely understand the feeling (I have a 1" long scar on my face from surgery when I was 2.) It's one of the first things I notice when I look at myself (if I could get rid of it I would, but 18 years later I doubt there's anything I can do) but hardly anyone notices it until I point it out--even my best friend.

ReputationRep:
    palmers fade cream is ok. I used it to fade done spot scars and it worked really well. cocoa butter is great & not too expensive.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with those who suggested Palmers cocoa butter cream. I'd recommend either that or Bio-oil. Bio-oil didn't work for me (Palmers does), but it works for my mum, so you'll have to see what works best for you

ReputationRep:
    I suggest trying something cheap at first (like cocoa butter cream, although I have no personal experience with that). I'd heard a lot of good things about Dermatix so I went and spent a lot of money on a tiny little tube of gel and it ended up being a total waste.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobbyjimmy)
    I have a small scar on my arm and its very visible when i wear short sleeve tops and i basically want to get rid of it.

Does anyone know any good products i cant really find any they all dont seem to work.

ps it has complety heeled.

Thank You
    Grow a pair and stop being so superficial.

ReputationRep:
    bio oil does wonders! but its not entirely cheap!!

ReputationRep:
    try this - it honestly works. http://wound.smith-nephew.com/uk/node.asp?NodeId=3019

it was recommend to me by my physio after i had surgery. it's helped SO much with my huge scar on my leg. it's not cheap but worth it, imo. i got it ordered in for me from boots.

ReputationRep:
    Bio Oil is brilliant- and has significantly reduced my scarring in the last month. However for a cheaper option you could ask your doctor for a tub of Oilatum cream (make up an excuse such as itchy skin or dryness). After you have a shower or bath rub the scar "site" on your arms in circlular direction with the cream (obviously this will also help with circulation as well). When I have used this method on smaller scars, they have faded over a few months- and are now hardly visible

ReputationRep:
    Bio-oil is brilliant. I buy it in bulk when it's in the sale and no lie, i have about 10 bottles. However, it does come in little bottles that are cheaper - £10? so maybe try them.

ReputationRep:
    When I was younger I had to stay in hospital for a short time, there were no beds in the general ward so I was put into the burns unit. I have a scar on one of my arms and one of the nurses noticed when she was drawing blood. She brought me a tube of Oily Cream BP (I think) which is used on people who have suffered burns and it helps to reduce the discolouration. I did find that it helped my scar appear lighter than it was.

ReputationRep:
    I used Elastoplast Scar Reduction Patches which did work, it flattened out and made it lighter in colour but in the end I decided my scar was not going to go (it was a huge stomach one from when my appendix burst) and theres nothing wrong with anyway. But the patches were definately the most effective for me, I tried bio oil too but it just didnt do anything.

ReputationRep:
    Like everyone's said, Bio-oil. Only downside is it leaves the skin VERY oily so quite impractical but use it twice a day and you'll begin to see your scar/s fade.

ReputationRep:
    I've got scars from insect bites. I've used bio-oil, didn't work. Atm, using Palmers Scar Serum.. I can't actually tell if its working or not though. But its doing something at least.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.