Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    Currently in year 11 at a high achieving comprehensive school.
    I'm studying 11 GCSEs: English Language, English Lit, Maths, Statistics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, German (the school I go to has a 'languages for all' policy), ICT, Geography and History, all of which I'm predicted A/A*, although I'm slightly underachieving.
    I wish to pursue a career with science, preferably healthcare, because the sciences are my strongest subjects. I have also applied to study Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths at my sixth form...

I did my work experience with a local pharmacy, in relation to my career plan.

Now, I also recently did my mock exams, and I seem to have done well.
    I had previously thought of going on to do medicine, but I thought the grades were out of reach in relation to coursework and exams I have already done/am doing, but the mock exams have changed my thoughts again regarding the future.

Does anyone know roughly what i'll need to get to study either medicine or pharmacy at a university?

ReputationRep:
    Pharmacy is less competitive than medicine.
    Some medical schools are pretty 'GCSE Nazi' (Birmingham springs to mind - don't bother if you don't have 8A*) but TSR has a lot of helpful articles on this so you can basically avoid the med schools that are like this if you don't do so well.

By the sounds, you'll be fine as you'll probably come out with mostly As, some A*
    Do as well as you can in your AS but for medicine more importantly - do heaps of work experience.

In the end, it depends how well other candidates do. I doubt you'll have problems with Pharm so much though. There's so many interviews and external admissions tests (UKCAT) for medicine that make all the difference.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the previous post, Medicine are really, really picky with GCSE grades. Although, with your predicted grades being at that standard, provided you live up to them, you'll be fine.

In the unfortunate case that you were not to live up to those standards, you have some strong A-Levels to back you up.

(I would consider taking Further Maths as well as Mathematics, unless you're set on something like Medicine).

Edit: Medicine work experience is absolutely crucial, they hate when people have all grades and no charisma/passion for the subject. Study widely around the subject and show your interests.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, both of you, i'll bear those in mind.
    Might I also add what I personally think I'll get (also taking into consideration the grades I have achieved in some modules of some subjects):
    English Language: A
    English Literature: A/B
    Biology: A*
    Chemistry: A*
    Physics: A*
    Maths: A*/A
    Statistics: Currently not sure, still haven't received my controlled assessment mark.
    German: A/B
    ICT: A
    History: A*/A
    Geography: A*

As you can see, I'm on the fringe of boundaries for many of the subjects...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.