Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How Long Does an STI Check up take? Watch

Going for my first STI check up at the GUM clinic on Wednesday. Had unprotected sex once, and it was over a year ago. Had no symptoms but only occurred to me recently I should definitely go get tested anyway.

I just wondered how long in total does the first one take? I've heard including all the talking with the doctors etc it can be 20 minutes (what someone told me) to 2 hours (according to someone else)! So from experience can anyone clear it up?

ReputationRep:
    that depends. I had to have 2 done recently, 1 was a basic check up which on just took about 30 mins including all the waiting and chating with the nurse etc. I was told I could sit and wait for the result which would take around 39 mins, but I couldn't be bothered. The second is a repeat of the same one, well sort of but it was with a doctor including an exam of down there. That took about an hour an a half, mostly waiting. I had to first have a chat with the doc, then I was sent to the waiting area for a nurse to get me to take the blood samples etc. then he set me for the exam and the doc came back in to examine me. I was then sent back out to wait for the initial result, finally the doc called me back in to tell me I don't have anything to worry about, but the full result will be ready in 2 weeks time. If you are not showing any symptom or at any high risk, you are properly just in for a quick one unless during your conversation with the nurse / doc sth flag then they might get you to wait for the initlal result which might make your visit longer. I think if you call the clinic and ask, they would probably tell you it can take up to 2 hrs but it's usually a lot quicker than that. It really depends, also some clinic might be over booked hence the appointments might be delay, the one I go to has 3 floors and at least 30 rooms so as soon as I sat down, my name was called, that's why I would rather travel 5 miles to go to that one that the one near home which only offer first come first serve appointment on the day.

Anyway, good luck with it and hope you get a clean bill of health.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExTraP)
    that depends. I had to have 2 done recently, 1 was a basic check up which on just took about 30 mins including all the waiting and chating with the nurse etc. I was told I could sit and wait for the result which would take around 39 mins, but I couldn't be bothered. The second is a repeat of the same one, well sort of but it was with a doctor including an exam of down there. That took about an hour an a half, mostly waiting. I had to first have a chat with the doc, then I was sent to the waiting area for a nurse to get me to take the blood samples etc. then he set me for the exam and the doc came back in to examine me. I was then sent back out to wait for the initial result, finally the doc called me back in to tell me I don't have anything to worry about, but the full result will be ready in 2 weeks time. If you are not showing any symptom or at any high risk, you are properly just in for a quick one unless during your conversation with the nurse / doc sth flag then they might get you to wait for the initlal result which might make your visit longer. I think if you call the clinic and ask, they would probably tell you it can take up to 2 hrs but it's usually a lot quicker than that. It really depends, also some clinic might be over booked hence the appointments might be delay, the one I go to has 3 floors and at least 30 rooms so as soon as I sat down, my name was called, that's why I would rather travel 5 miles to go to that one that the one near home which only offer first come first serve appointment on the day.

Anyway, good luck with it and hope you get a clean bill of health.
    Cheers for taking the time to reply! Im going for the first time for a full check. Want to check for HIV, Chlamydia etc. And what dya mean by an 'initial result'? and what's 'high risk'? Do you mean they know your results actually pretty quick, cos I heard in some cases results took 2 weeks! Sorry for all the questions just really nervous and want to understand fully what you mean

ReputationRep:
    My local clinic takes ridiculously long! At least two hours, depite the fact you're only with the doctor for a maximum of 10 minutes in total.

ReputationRep:
    I don't actually know what that means to be honest, but when I went for the first time, they said I was free to go after the swabs and blood samples being taken coz I wasn't presenting any symptoms then. When I went back the 2nd time because I thought I was having some symptoms, they kept me there until their were sure it wasn't whatever they thought it was before they let me go. I think the best is to call them to speak to them prior if you are really worried. I was told initial results are not always accurate but the initial result shows something positive then they will start your treatment just in case, but if the initial results are negative then it doens't always mean you are clean, you still have to wait for the proper result which usually takes about 2 weeks, but it can vary. From what I have gathered, both my experience and my friends', these people are usually very nice and they really couldn't careless why you want the tests all they care is you care about yourself. Certainly better then the sodding doctor I saw today about my leg (a totally unrelated topic, but anyway...) And if the makes you feel better, they won't give you any dirty look (I did worry they might...) They really have seen it all.

In terms of risks, that again really depends on many factors, the questions they are me including where does my partner come from because people from or regular travel to and from certain parts of the countries are of higher risk of catching HIV, I think that includes some parts of Africa and Asian, but I am not sure, do a google search if you want to know. They also asked me if I have had sex with a bisexual man (how am I suppose to know??? :confused::confused:) and if I was monogamous in the relationship, And if I have had unprotected sex etc. all of these are taken into consideration whether or not you are high risk. I guess if you have been sleeping with 10 different people then you might be high risk whereas if you are in a stable relationship and just want a check up then you might be low risk. I don't know, again the best to do is to ask the doctor or nusre when you see them.

Whatever I say or anybody say here or anywhere on the internet are only personal opinion, experience and information given by my health care provider(s). Each person is different so there are only for you reference, but I am glad I was of some help and hopefully you are now more relaxed with the appointment. Feel free to ask more questions but I am by no means an experts I just care about my own body.

ReputationRep:
    I don't actually know what that means to be honest, but when I went for the first time, they said I was free to go after the swabs and blood samples being taken coz I wasn't presenting any symptoms then. When I went back the 2nd time because I thought I was having some symptoms, they kept me there until their were sure it wasn't whatever they thought it was before they let me go. I think the best is to call them to speak to them prior if you are really worried. I was told initial results are not always accurate but the initial result shows something positive then they will start your treatment just in case, but if the initial results are negative then it doens't always mean you are clean, you still have to wait for the proper result which usually takes about 2 weeks, but it can vary. From what I have gathered, both my experience and my friends', these people are usually very nice and they really couldn't careless why you want the tests all they care is you care about yourself. Certainly better then the sodding doctor I saw today about my leg (a totally unrelated topic, but anyway...) And if the makes you feel better, they won't give you any dirty look (I did worry they might...) They really have seen it all.

In terms of risks, that again really depends on many factors, the questions they are me including where does my partner come from because people from or regular travel to and from certain parts of the countries are of higher risk of catching HIV, I think that includes some parts of Africa and Asian, but I am not sure, do a google search if you want to know. They also asked me if I have had sex with a bisexual man (how am I suppose to know??? :confused::confused:) and if I was monogamous in the relationship, And if I have had unprotected sex etc. all of these are taken into consideration whether or not you are high risk. I guess if you have been sleeping with 10 different people then you might be high risk whereas if you are in a stable relationship and just want a check up then you might be low risk. I don't know, again the best to do is to ask the doctor or nusre when you see them.

Whatever I say or anybody say here or anywhere on the internet are only personal opinion, experience and information given by my health care provider(s). Each person is different so there are only for you reference, but I am glad I was of some help and hopefully you are now more relaxed with the appointment. Feel free to ask more questions but I am by no means an experts I just care about my own body.
    Thanks so much for the replies!

I was just wondering about the initial result bit! So for say HIV, after 5 minutes or so they actually have a 'rough' idea of whether your negative or positive? Didnt know that! That's pretty cool, means it might make the week long wait slightly easier to deal with!

ReputationRep:
    With HIV tests, some clinics do offer rapid tests which I was told it's the same as the tradition one, all they do is the look for the antibody in the blood under the microscope, so my guess is the actual test takes 5 mins regradless which ones you get given, but if your case isn't urgent then they won't act on it right away hence the wait. But I could be totally wrong. Whereas some infections might require for the anitbody to grown in a lab environment or something like that, hence it takes longer.

With HIV though, because of the window period, they might offer you a test now and ask you to go back in 3 months time for another one if they think you are in a high risk group. And if you engange in any high risk sexula activities during the 3 months then you would have to set your clock back to zero again and wait for another 3 months. I always think nothing is 100% and who is to know one might not catch something the very next day after a clean bill of health is given? So my take is always go for the check ups regularly unless you are in a stable relationship where both parties have been tested and are clean. Again I was told some couples go for a check up when they first start the sexual relationship then another one 6 months down the line, because if you are fauthful and 6 months down the line you are still clean then the window period of most if not all infection would have gone hence everything should be clear. If you are really interested in how to best protect yourself, these GUM clinics will guide you through and they won't mind sitting down with you and give you a lesson or something. They are pretty cool, i think they would rather teach you then treat you. if you get what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    With HIV tests, some clinics do offer rapid tests which I was told it's the same as the tradition one, all they do is the look for the antibody in the blood under the microscope, so my guess is the actual test takes 5 mins regradless which ones you get given, but if your case isn't urgent then they won't act on it right away hence the wait. But I could be totally wrong. Whereas some infections might require for the anitbody to grown in a lab environment or something like that, hence it takes longer.

With HIV though, because of the window period, they might offer you a test now and ask you to go back in 3 months time for another one if they think you are in a high risk group. And if you engange in any high risk sexula activities during the 3 months then you would have to set your clock back to zero again and wait for another 3 months. I always think nothing is 100% and who is to know one might not catch something the very next day after a clean bill of health is given? So my take is always go for the check ups regularly unless you are in a stable relationship where both parties have been tested and are clean. Again I was told some couples go for a check up when they first start the sexual relationship then another one 6 months down the line, because if you are fauthful and 6 months down the line you are still clean then the window period of most if not all infection would have gone hence everything should be clear. If you are really interested in how to best protect yourself, these GUM clinics will guide you through and they won't mind sitting down with you and give you a lesson or something. They are pretty cool, i think they would rather teach you then treat you. if you get what I mean.
    Thanks again! My only unprotected encounter was a year ago now, so I'm confident this test is all I need to see what my status is! I'm praying for a good outcome, going tomorrow. May I ask were you completely clean after your test then? How long did your results take?

ReputationRep:
    I am as clean as... (can't actually think of a word for it), I am OK. The test result took 10 working days so 2 weeks but it varies from clinic to clinic. Seriosuly if you are worried then insist to wait for the result tomorrow and if they tell you there is nothing to worry about then take the word for it and don't worry yourself too much. They sure know what they are taking about.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.