The Student Room Group

The future of double surnames?

These seem to be getting more common so at some point two people with this type of name could get together. If this happens and neither partner wants to give up their name could their child have four names?

How would you feel if your partner said you HAD to take their name because if a child had all four names it wouldnt work?
What would you say if your partner said you could keep your last name but any children would have their last name only?
meh, i'll get rid of my surname, never liked it and don't care about the family heritage
Reply 2
I think both should take the most awesome name.
Like my friend's mum's maiden name was Barbosa (yes, really) but my friend is stuck with her dad's name
Reply 3
Why not just one from each? That's what they do in lots of countries like Spain.
Pff, double surnames.

Try having six. Barrel of laughs, that is. :colonhash:
I'm keeping my surname when I'm married, I like it too much to change it.

I'd like to propose a solution: husband and wife both keep their last name. Female children get the wife's surname; male children the husband's.

I quite like the Icelandic (I don't know if it's still used) system of adding 'dottir' and 'sen' to the mother or father's name.
How would you feel if your partner said you HAD to take their name because if a child had all four names it wouldnt work?

Anybody who told me I "HAD" to do something wouldn't be my partner. :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by TheSownRose
Pff, double surnames.

Try having six. Barrel of laughs, that is. :colonhash:

thats what I worried about with doubles because if two people with a double get married then if they want doubles the kid would end up with four
Original post by DOA
thats what I worried about with doubles because if two people with a double get married then if they want doubles the kid would end up with four

Yeah, but the kid just selects one or two and goes with it. Or no one bothers to say all four of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending