lucy smith
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I work at a major supermarket, im just wondering if anyone else has to wear aprons and tabards at work?

If you do how do you feel about wearing them?
lostinfantasies
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I wear one at a nursing home, but only when serving food. I tend to wear mine the entire night though (two hours). They're not bad, but I always find myself looking for the size 3 than the size 4, as it looks enormous on me and I (for some reason) care about that in a place filled with old people who couldn't give a damn about the way I looked.
Chewwy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
when i work in the deli, i get to wear a cool hat. it's awesome.
sarah1987
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
When I worked a Morrisons I had to wear one, hated the uniform! The apron wasn't so bad and protected my clothes but the baseball cap was stupid Shirt was enormous too. Morrisons uniform is yuck.
lisa rogers
Report 15 years ago
I have to wear a tabard on the checkouts at Waitrose.

I don't mind.
Library
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I Hated Morrisons On The Deli. Hated The Hat, Hated The Apron, Hated The Badge, And Hated The Logo On The Oversized Shirt. Morrisons I Am Glad I Left You!
hanadeka2002
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I used to have to wear both when I worked on a deli.Plus a rather sexy hat.It didn't bother me as it was the uniform-everyone else was wearing it!
lucy spell
Report 15 years ago
I have to wear a tabard when I am working on grocery at Waitrose. I don't mind because all the other assistants are wearing them, and they keep my clothes clean.
Shooting_Star
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Library)
I Hated Morrisons On The Deli. Hated The Hat, Hated The Apron, Hated The Badge, And Hated The Logo On The Oversized Shirt. Morrisons I Am Glad I Left You!

Aww don't you're making me jealous! Still working in the morrisons deli! Still hating the hat, apron, stupid oversized shirt, hairnet and name badge! and whos wise idea was it to make the logo yellow and black?? It jst looks crap!! arrgghhh!! damed place! needless to say i'm looking for another job!!
bluenoxid
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Shooting_Star)
Aww don't you're making me jealous! Still working in the morrisons deli! Still hating the hat, apron, stupid oversized shirt, hairnet and name badge! and whos wise idea was it to make the logo yellow and black?? It jst looks crap!! arrgghhh!! damed place! needless to say i'm looking for another job!!
Cafe and Deli with the stupid hats. Transfer to Grocery. You then only have to wear the bleedin apron and the stupid badge that gets in the way at the most inconvenient moments. It would be nice if it could be inserted into a plastic pocket sewn on to our aprons
Shooting_Star
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Noxid)
Cafe and Deli with the stupid hats. Transfer to Grocery. You then only have to wear the bleedin apron and the stupid badge that gets in the way at the most inconvenient moments. It would be nice if it could be inserted into a plastic pocket sewn on to our aprons
I know! Well I asked to be moved to the checkouts as most of my friends worked there and well, it couldn't be worse than the deli but they wouldn't let me as the deli is understaffed! Idiots! It will be even more short staffed when I leave! Still need to find another job though...
blondie2000
Report 15 years ago
you may wear an apron at work, but do any of you wear an apron at home.
lucy spell
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sarah1987)
When I worked a Morrisons I had to wear one, hated the uniform! The apron wasn't so bad and protected my clothes but the baseball cap was stupid Shirt was enormous too. Morrisons uniform is yuck.
Sorry you did not mind having to wear an apron!

I work at Waitrose and at least we get the choice of a tabard or apron or nothing, the majourity of us wear tabards. (Well the one's who do non food and dirty asiles!.
Christiane
Report 15 years ago
I work in a small hotel whose clientele tend to be 'on the elderly side'. I do housekeeping on Sunday mornings and waitressing in the evening, which is how I come to wear both tabards and aprons. I am provided with a royal blue tabard when doing the rooms, and can wear this over trousers (but not jeans).

The Management are generally very traditional in their approach to staff appearance. For serving in the restaurant, they provide a striped navy blue blouse with a plain matching skirt, over which we wear a matching frilly apron with a large central pocket (useful for our order pads etc) that you can access with either hand. The Head Waitress is very particular and we must put a clean apron on each day, and if it should become dirty during a shift, then we must borrow a clean one and return it laundered within a few days. When I first started and put on my pinny for the first time, I tied it such that the bow orientated itself vertically. (I have worn pinnies at home since childhood and am sure that this has always been the case). I was then taught to tie the bow such that it laid horizontally, which took a little practice but is now routine. Having tied the bow, I must wizz the apron round through 180 degrees, tidy the bow so that it is symmetrical, and then reverse the 180 degree turn so that I am ready for work.

All this care over waitress presentation is preserved on those occasions when I am asked to help with the washing up, when I wear a striped royal blue tabard (like the other girls who help in the kitchen) to keep my uniform clean.

This may seem rather outdated, but I really like the way that the hotel tries to maintain an image that their guests appreciate and I grew up wearing a pinny when doing housework at home, and often still do. All this probably seems a bit dull to those of you who baulk at even wearing a tabard in a supermarket, but I really enjoy my work, and am always happy to do an extra shift if I don't have anything else planned.

I found an old catalogue of our workwear and thought all this would be a nice image for my profile!
lucy spell
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lisa rogers)
I have to wear a tabard on the checkouts at Waitrose.

I don't mind.
So do I! I have only just started and I got asked if I wanted a tabard or an apron when I did my uniform order!
Cinders
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm supposed to wear an apron at work (if I'm in the doughnut shop). However, I find the bright blue baseball cap and shirt quite enough, thankyou ...
xxxabixxx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have to wear a short one with the new uniform at Waitrose.
user106777
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I work in a care home.. we have to wear tabards serving meals, they make me look ridiculous like i'm wearing a dress. Also have to wear them in the kitchen with a LOVELY hat... I love my uniform.
michael10830
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i work as a part time cleaner and wear a tabard, i also wear them at home, very practical garment even for us men.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I had to wear one at the children's nursery that I did a placement at while at was at college. It was just a plain apron with the nurseries name embroidered in the top corner.
I didn't mind it really.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (123)
4.92%
Uncertainty around my education (369)
14.77%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (273)
10.93%
Lack of purpose or motivation (352)
14.09%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (114)
4.56%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (151)
6.04%
Loneliness (214)
8.57%
Financial worries (94)
3.76%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.24%
Exposure to negative news/social media (119)
4.76%
Lack of real life entertainment (132)
5.28%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (217)
8.69%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (234)
9.37%

Watched Threads