Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I was just in the mood to post something really random and weird today.

Have you felt pain in your dreams before? What I mean is getting hurt in a dream, and then feeling realistic pain along with it, though not necessarily waking up with any pain.

I find it endlessly interesting how our brain is so capable of producing such realistic, but false things within dreams. Up until last Saturday, I never remembered feeling any pain in dreams before, and also in real life I've never had a proper electric shock before. I found out however that my brain was pretty good at guessing the sensation during Saturday morning's dream.

I was in some hospital, and a doctor wanted to do some weird test on me, like an X-ray but using electricity. This involved passing three long, thick needles into my left hand, left chest and left temple, apparently, and then I'd get an electric shock. No reason why of course, it's a dream. I felt each of those needles going in, and I could feel amazingly realistic pain. I groaned out loud and turned my head away when they were trying to push a long needle into my left hand. Afterwards came the electric shock, which was big and painful but probably not realistic. It was a sudden pain everywhere and contracted my muscles. Apparently, I moved too much and had to have it done again. I woke up from the pain of another needle going through my hand. Obviously there was no real pain when I woke up though, since it was not real.

The dream took an unexpectedly humorous turn when a doctor was talking to another patient, and said "Well of course you've got a liver problem now, you put all those Brussel sprouts under the wheel so what do you expect?" Yeah, I know. I'll just leave it at that.

Anyone else got a painful/funny story to share?

It's nothing, they left some memories for you but what really happened is that you've been anally probed by aliens. Go to a hypnotist, he will tell you the whole story....

ReputationRep:
      I got shot in the head and woke up with a headache.

ReputationRep:
      no but i keep having that thing where your leg goes all spazzy and cramped and sometimes that thing where you suddenly jolt awake like if you've dreamt about falling over or something

ReputationRep:
      not really pain in a dream.. however i must have been about 9 years old at the time and in my dream i was really angry at my older sister for some reason and went out to punch her (something i wouldnt normally do!) whilst asleep i clenched my fist and punched the wall (it was my sister in the dream) which of course woke me up as my knuckles were in a lot of pain!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by mrnightcat)
      So I was just in the mood to post something really random and weird today.

Have you felt pain in your dreams before? What I mean is getting hurt in a dream, and then feeling realistic pain along with it, though not necessarily waking up with any pain.

I find it endlessly interesting how our brain is so capable of producing such realistic, but false things within dreams. Up until last Saturday, I never remembered feeling any pain in dreams before, and also in real life I've never had a proper electric shock before. I found out however that my brain was pretty good at guessing the sensation during Saturday morning's dream.

I was in some hospital, and a doctor wanted to do some weird test on me, like an X-ray but using electricity. This involved passing three long, thick needles into my left hand, left chest and left temple, apparently, and then I'd get an electric shock. No reason why of course, it's a dream. I felt each of those needles going in, and I could feel amazingly realistic pain. I groaned out loud and turned my head away when they were trying to push a long needle into my left hand. Afterwards came the electric shock, which was big and painful but probably not realistic. It was a sudden pain everywhere and contracted my muscles. Apparently, I moved too much and had to have it done again. I woke up from the pain of another needle going through my hand. Obviously there was no real pain when I woke up though, since it was not real.

The dream took an unexpectedly humorous turn when a doctor was talking to another patient, and said "Well of course you've got a liver problem now, you put all those Brussel sprouts under the wheel so what do you expect?" Yeah, I know. I'll just leave it at that.

Anyone else got a painful/funny story to share?
      Yeah, that happens to me a lot. I have 'waking dreams', where I feel and remember my dreams really vividly, and sometimes I can be awake and it carries on, it's bloody weird. Especially when I get the pain and feelings from dreams in waking haha.

One of the worst ones was I had a dream I was being strangled...I woke up unable to breathe, and I physically couldn't move at all, until I felt like I was about to die, and then suddenly, I was 'released', the tightness around my neck stopped and I could move.

ReputationRep:
      I had a dream a few days ago where I was shot and woke up with a horrendous pain in the left side of my chest. I'm not sure whether the dream caused the pain, or the pain was already there but worked its way into my dream

Either way it hurt a lot.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Gemma :)!)
      I got shot in the head and woke up with a headache.
      Hey Gemma I like your new picture. Seriously now that dream you said you had needs to be broken in the name of Jesus. I am a strong Christian and I know that the spiritual world is more real than this world. I know of a few cases where people dream things and then it happens in the future. An example of this is a little boy I knew died after being hit by a car. The boy's uncle said he had a dream 2 days before that his nephew had been hit and killed by the car. it happened just as it did in the dream.
      Gemma a lot of witchcraft is taking place all over the world and Christians like myself pray against the evil curses in the Name Of Jesus to break and destroy them.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by .Ali.)
      Yeah, that happens to me a lot. I have 'waking dreams', where I feel and remember my dreams really vividly, and sometimes I can be awake and it carries on, it's bloody weird. Especially when I get the pain and feelings from dreams in waking haha.

One of the worst ones was I had a dream I was being strangled...I woke up unable to breathe, and I physically couldn't move at all, until I felt like I was about to die, and then suddenly, I was 'released', the tightness around my neck stopped and I could move.
      That sounds awful, was it sleep paralysis? The paralysis people get occasionally when they wake from a dream but the brain hasn't 'turned on' the rest of the body as such, so you're unable to move. That sounds pretty dangerous if you couldn't breathe.

As for waking dreams, I've felt similar things before - I used to get night terrors when I was a child, and after I woke up (usually screaming), it took a good 5 minutes for all the hallucinations to disappear. For example, the walls growing taller and shorter, moving back and forth, etc. I used to have a mug when I was a child, which was in the shape of a film character's face. I remember after waking from a night terror it seemed to look at me and suddenly open wide-eyed, which freaked me out, haha.

(Original post by eallen)
      not really pain in a dream.. however i must have been about 9 years old at the time and in my dream i was really angry at my older sister for some reason and went out to punch her (something i wouldnt normally do!) whilst asleep i clenched my fist and punched the wall (it was my sister in the dream) which of course woke me up as my knuckles were in a lot of pain!
      Haha, I'm sure you were glad the two of you weren't sleeping together that time. The dreaming explanation for your older sister's black eye might not have satisfied mum and dad.

ReputationRep:
      In one of my dreams once a dog breathed on me and I felt it in real life

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by mrnightcat)
      That sounds awful, was it sleep paralysis? The paralysis people get occasionally when they wake from a dream but the brain hasn't 'turned on' the rest of the body as such, so you're unable to move. That sounds pretty dangerous if you couldn't breathe.

As for waking dreams, I've felt similar things before - I used to get night terrors when I was a child, and after I woke up (usually screaming), it took a good 5 minutes for all the hallucinations to disappear. For example, the walls growing taller and shorter, moving back and forth, etc. I used to have a mug when I was a child, which was in the shape of a film character's face. I remember after waking from a night terror it seemed to look at me and suddenly open wide-eyed, which freaked me out, haha.
      Yeah that's what it was, I asked my doctor the next time I went and they said it happens to most people from time to time. It's horrible though, I can remember trying to scream for help and being physically unable to.

Oh my God I get that! Even now, occasionally, I'll wake up and be convinced the dream is still real. I'll shout and cry and then hide under the covers until it's gone...I'm 16 lmao! It sounds pathetic but it's seriously creepy!

ReputationRep:
      I haven't felt pain but i have felt fear. The amount of times i've been in a zombie survival horror only to wake up when being mauled by zombies/werewolves/you name it.

ReputationRep:
      Yeah

But I've also felt pleasure :sexface:

So it's only fair.

ReputationRep:
      If the pain is real, then you've been bitten by something. It happens to me sometimes. Infact when I'm bitten by an ant etc when I sleep, in my dream it's made out to be some powerful adversary that chases me nonstop that I cannot fight against.

I have to admit, I've caught myself shouting "Kamehameha" really loudly when I'm in a tough situated in my dreams. Seems like watching DBZ does have it's benefits hmm.

ReputationRep:
      Yeah, I had a dream of being attacked by some enemy who I couldn't identify - when I dreamt I could feel the sting across my face whilst getting slashed at.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by .Ali.)
      Yeah that's what it was, I asked my doctor the next time I went and they said it happens to most people from time to time. It's horrible though, I can remember trying to scream for help and being physically unable to.

Oh my God I get that! Even now, occasionally, I'll wake up and be convinced the dream is still real. I'll shout and cry and then hide under the covers until it's gone...I'm 16 lmao! It sounds pathetic but it's seriously creepy!
      I guess I've been lucky not to have sleep paralysis yet, but I'll likely get it sometime in the future. It does sound really awful from what you wrote, I hope you don't end up going through it again.

I agree, it's really creepy when you feel a night terror/dream is still going. Don't worry about that, I think the last night terror I had in my life was when I was 16 too; I don't remember it but I'm sure I was embarrassing enough to my parents, haha. My night terrors were bad (I used to remember them in detail) but I was like most normal children I think, as most people have had a few in their life. I read once about a woman in her thirties who got them very regularly for some reason. She described that when she woke up, she'd still be hallucinating that the walls were covered with spiders. She'd shut her eyes, run to the bathroom and splash water over her face, which would usually work.

ReputationRep:
      I had an asthma attack in a dream the other night, I've not ever had one in real life but it's just what I assumed an asthma attack to feel like, it was really horrible and it hurt and was scary. I think I might have just been holding my breath whilst trying to inhale IRL though, hard to say :ninja:

ReputationRep:
      A dog bit my penis in my dream once. I woke up screaming - except I couldn't even scream, I opened my mouth and tried so hard to scream but nothing came out. I had lost my voice. :nopity:

ReputationRep:
      Nope, fortunately! I've been shot and fallen from a great height many times (as a result of flying and then failing epically at it) but it's never hurt. I felt physically sick with fear when I was falling, because I thought it was going to hurt a lot... never has, though. I just sort of land ungracefully in a heap.

ReputationRep:
      I used to live in a house with a really long garden, and one dream I had once was just running up from the bottom of the garden, running away from this violent dog. I finally got to the top and opened the back door to get in the house, and just as I did, the dog bit my bottom and I woke up, with a horrible pain in my bum. Was strange.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.