Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I want to learn a new language- I already know quite a bit of French and Spanish. What do you think I should learn?
    Arabic? Chinese? Russian?

ReputationRep:
    Which region / country do you have the most interest in? I find that people who study a hard language like Arabic for the, in my opinion, wrong reasons (such as solely getting a good job) find the language very hard. Whereas people who have a deep and genuine interest in the history, culture, politics etc. of the Middle East often find it easier.

ReputationRep:
    chinese or arabic

because either way, one of them is going to rule the world anytime soon!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beefmaster)
    Which region / country do you have the most interest in? I find that people who study a hard language like Arabic for the, in my opinion, wrong reasons (such as solely getting a good job) find the language very hard. Whereas people who have a deep and genuine interest in the history, culture, politics etc. of the Middle East often find it easier.
    I do actually really like the culture and politics of the Middle East and I've applied to study Arabic at 1 university so I may stick with it.

Though, I also like Chinese culture! So it's hard to decide which one to concentrate on.

ReputationRep:
    Language require a lot of regular effort so you need to have a genuine interest in the language and/or the country's culture if you want to attain a good level. If you're as motivated about learning Chinese as you are about learning Arabic, I'd say go for Chinese. Petrol only will get the middle east so far, China is already a super power economically speaking and isn't going to go down soon I suppose (though I'm no economist...)
    Anyway, both being incredibly hard I'd suggest you focus on only one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xurvi)
    Language require a lot of regular effort so you need to have a genuine interest in the language and/or the country's culture if you want to attain a good level. If you're as motivated about learning Chinese as you are about learning Arabic, I'd say go for Chinese. Petrol only will get the middle east so far, China is already a super power economically speaking and isn't going to go down soon I suppose (though I'm no economist...)
    Anyway, both being incredibly hard I'd suggest you focus on only one.
    Merci Et toi, tu apprends le chinois? ou tu es chinois(e)??

ReputationRep:
    Arabic, because I am.

Probably because I'm learning it by choice but I don't find it that hard, **** FRENCH.

ReputationRep:
    Learn the language you feel most interested in, simple. I never try to classify languages as "harder" because that serves nothing more than to make you feel overwhelmed and give up. The languages you have selected vary immensely, but IMO they're all beautiful choices for a foreign language because each of them taps into a vast wealth of culture and history. Don't bother about job opportunities and such because the truth is that there will always be an opportunity no matter what you end up selecting. It's all on you in the end, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgey1993)
    Merci Et toi, tu apprends le chinois? ou tu es chinois(e)??
    Non, j'étudie le Japonais.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I want to learn a new language- I already know quite a bit of French and Spanish. What do you think I should learn?
    Arabic? Chinese? Russian?
    Since there are more Chinese people in the world, You will be able to make more friends if you learn chinese

ReputationRep:
    I do actually really like the culture and politics of the Middle East and I've applied to study Arabic at 1 university so I may stick with it.

Though, I also like Chinese culture! So it's hard to decide which one to concentrate on.
    1 thing I will point out is that there is are vast differences between dialects. Fus7a (Modern Standard Arabic) is what most people learn, but hardly any Arabs actually speak this dialect. IF they can understand it, when you ask a question you will for the most part get a reply in 3amyeea (literally meaning slang, although dialect is probably more appropriate)

If you want to read and understand the news then go for Fus7a..if you want to actually speak to people then learn 3amyeea. Fus7a is a good grounding for studying the dialect, I studied Fus7a for 3 years with 3 long periods of study abroad and have now learnt Syrian 3amyeea to a good standard and Egyptian 3amyeea to an advanced standard. I am of the belief that the Fus7a grounding has allowed me to do this.

I know this will be controversial to many, as a lot of British students study in Damascus, but I am of the belief that Egyptian 3amyeea is the most useful. Egyptian cinema, tv, and music dominates the Arab World and as a result it is understandable to a huge number of people from Africa and throughout the Middle East.

To give you an idea of the differences in dialect.

the phrase "how much?" in Syrian 3amyeea - 3adesh in Egyptian 3amyeea - bikem.

To get to the stage where you can learn enough Arabic to be able to understand and converse with people throughout the Arab World would be a massive undertaking of tens of years. Even saying this I have some friends here in Egypt who could not understand someone from the Gulf that easily, let along the Magrheb!

If you have any questions please let me know. This is not designed to put you off but to give you a realistic understanding of the task ahead!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.