Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi guys!

I thought i'd post here as i believe someone may be able to help a problem im having.

My father, well i dont want to even describe him in full, in short he is idiot and an abusive *******.

He's decided, that unless i pay him £60 a week (every friday) im gonna be thrown out, is that even allowed?

He knows i cant get a job (I've handed out about 60+ CV's in the past 2 months, no one has got back to me, probably because my grades are hovering around C's and D's), and for some reason i am unsure, i cant get EMA (Educational Maintenance Allowance) so i dont know what to do, perhaps someone could give me some advice?

-Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    BumperBo needs more details
    how old are you?
    how strong are you?
    are you able to wrestle better than your father?
    are you able to wrestle better than a policeman?
    are you opposed to the use of biological warfare for petty conflicts?

ReputationRep:
    Cage fight. Loser pays rent to the winner.

ReputationRep:
    If you're of EMA age I assume you're in college or 6th form? He can do it, but he sounds like he's doing it deliberately to be petty as he knows you cant afford to pay it. Only thing you can do is talk to him and persuade him you cant afford it. Or perhaps come to a compromise that when you get a job you'll pay something? Or you could move out, but Im guessing you dont want to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi guys!

I thought i'd post here as i believe someone may be able to help a problem im having.

My father, well i dont want to even describe him in full, in short he is idiot and an abusive *******.

He's decided, that unless i pay him £60 a week (every friday) im gonna be thrown out, is that even allowed?
    He knows i cant get a job (I've handed out about 60+ CV's in the past 2 months, no one has got back to me, probably because my grades are hovering around C's and D's), and for some reason i am unsure, i cant get EMA (Educational Maintenance Allowance) so i dont know what to do, perhaps someone could give me some advice?

-Thanks.
    Yes, its called rent =/

I think the only advice we can give is to get a job, tbh. Doesn't matter how many CVs you've handed out if you're trying for jobs you aren't qualified for or your CV is terrible. Put word out around your friends, family etc that you are looking for a job and hope someone knows someone that has one going.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

-Thanks.
    Yes it is allowed

Your dad is just a ****

ReputationRep:
    If you're over 16 then yeah he can do that. He'd be a total **** if he did kick you out though....

ReputationRep:
    U not alone. One of my friends had a similar situation. Her Dad is awful and she didnt have a choice about the rent thing so she paid for a few months until she could find somewhere 2 move 2 and now she's moved out and don't think she speaks 2 him anymore. He is definitely allowed 2 do it, u just have 2 look carefully at ur options. It may be worth it 4 u 2 try harder 2 get a job. Try visiting ur local jobcentre and sending ur CV 2 places with a lower pay rate like tesco, primark etc. Then u will have the option of moving out if things get difficult. Being financially dependant on a parent if u have a shaky relationship with him is never a good idea. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Is your dad being serious? That seems pretty harsh tbh. I know you're legally old enough to leave home, but still, why is he so intent on having you out of the house? Did you do something to him?

Also, surely he must understand the current job market and how difficult it is for many people to get a job at the moment? I should know; I've been searching hardcore for jobs myself for nearly 4 months .

In the meantime, to help with the job search, you should do some volunteering to help give your experience and build on your CV.
    • TSR Support Team

Seems pretty nasty of your Dad to threaten to kick you out, maybe you should explain the situation to someone at your school/college.

ReputationRep:
    Course it's allowed you silly girl, it's called RENT. It's what people in the real world have to do.

And it's a damn good deal too, £60 pw for lodging, bills included and food?

Unfortunately, your Dad does seem to be being a bit harsh. Unless he has been living under a rock (in which case £60pw is extortionate) he will know of the current job climate and how difficult it is for anybody to get jobs. Nevertheless, keep handing out CVs, and remember that getting a job is not what you know it's who you know. Tell your friends that you're looking for a job, announce it on facebook if you have to.

Failing that, go to your local job centre and claim benefits, and we'll see you on Jeremy Kyle in about 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's allowed, but I see why you're wondering if it is or not because a lot of parents support their children til the age of 18.
    Are you the oldest in the family?

ReputationRep:
    Ho wold are you? if your 18 then rent is very normal and expected...if your under 18 then its just tight really, but if your not doing any education then you should pay rent , wouldnt want my kid bumming around the house with no education or job

hey guys, thanks for the advice, sorry i missed some info:

16yrs old, male.
    I have done nothin to upset him that i am aware of.

I am in post16/6th form - Year 12.

As for jobs, i am trying my best to get a job at something i want to do (Which is computer repair), but thus far, like i said no one has gotten back to me.

ReputationRep:
    erm yes, it's allowed and totally normal...I know very few people who are out of education and NOT paying rent/board
    my friend got charged it when she wasn't working and just had to go on the dole so she could pay her mum to stay in the house so there's an option
    although I will say, there is usually A job somewhere, it's juist usually a pretty **** one, like my friend ended up in telesales, but if you're 18/19 and not in education then tbh you're gonna struggle to get the good ones, you'll have to start at the bottom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vohamanah)
    Yes, its called rent =/

I think the only advice we can give is to get a job, tbh. Doesn't matter how many CVs you've handed out if you're trying for jobs you aren't qualified for or your CV is terrible. Put word out around your friends, family etc that you are looking for a job and hope someone knows someone that has one going.
    Your profile pic is sikkkkk......where did you get that from?

ReputationRep:
    It's very harsh if you're 16, still in school and have no job. But yeah I think it is technically allowed.
    Best of luck with the job-hunting!

ReputationRep:
    If your dad is being unreasonable with costs looks like you might have to move out and apply for benefits (you should be eligible for some, if you're in full time education) and a place to live.

But tell him it is unreasonable if you have no income. Hell, if you were unemployed JSA would only be £50 a week anyway (though this would include housing benefit if you decided to move out). Ask him if he really does want you out, because you'll have no other option, or whether he should be looking after what's best for his son and your education.

For different reasons i had to do the same thing when i was in college, and my mum realised that she'd miss me more if i was gone so decided to let me stay.

EDIT: Oh, i've just realised that he should be getting child benefit and child tax credits if he is looking after you whilst your in full time education, it might be an idea to tell him this.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

-Thanks.

Check out: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/YoungPeo...le/DG_10027506

That tells you what benefits you could get. It also says what benefits someone with a child (between 16 and 18) gets. If your dad gets any of that then he can't kick you out because the government is basically paying him to look after you? Although, I don't really know about that. Maybe call up their helpline and ask them if you'd be eligible for benefits if you did get kicked out.

Also, speak to your dad and explain your situation to him. Why is he asking for rent now you're 16? Seems a bit harsh to me. I know loads of people who pay their parents rent, but usually it's only once they get a job.

ReputationRep:
    If you have never left home before, and are in full time education, he is legally required to look after you until the age of 18. That is a legal requirement, I know this because it has been an ongoing issue with my brother, and my stepdad wanting him out. Unfortunately, he has had to put up or shut up because social services and the police told him point blank he had no choice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.