Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fireph gets serious with SS Watch

ReputationRep:
    Well I decided that due to my total lack of going to the gym during my first term of uni it is time to get a fitness blog going to try and bully myself into some commitment. I ran SS for around a month over summer which seemed to be going well but with uni came a crap gym (which i'm going to have to put up with) and lots of work. Long term goals are simple - strength and size - so i'm going to bulk first and try running GOMAD.

At the end off the summer I had:
    Bench - 55 3*5
    Squat - 80 3*5
    Deadlift - 100 1*5
    OHP - 45 3*5
    Pendlays - can't remember
    (Not great I know)

Anyhow I went in my home gym today to test the waters and managed:
    Squat 75 - 3*5
    Bench 55 - 1*5 (failed on second set)
    Deadlift 90 - 1*5
    My height is about 5'11
    Current weight 173 pounds

So obviously I want to see the numbers going up and I'll try to keep the blog updated.
    Next time I get to the gym i'll "officially" start my SS with squat, OHP and pendlays.

Regarding diet I'm afraid I simply don't have time to keep track of exactly what I eat, but I do stick to decent food and lots of meat/fish/eggs. If I don't see weight increase on GOMAD i'll have to seriously look at what i'm eating.

Any tips/ comments would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fireph)
    Well I decided that due to my total lack of going to the gym during my first term of uni it is time to get a fitness blog going to try and bully myself into some commitment. I ran SS for around a month over summer which seemed to be going well but with uni came a crap gym (which i'm going to have to put up with) and lots of work. Long term goals are simple - strength and size - so i'm going to bulk first and try running GOMAD.

At the end off the summer I had:
    Bench - 55 3*5
    Squat - 80 3*5
    Deadlift - 100 1*5
    OHP - 45 3*5
    Pendlays - can't remember
    (Not great I know)

Anyhow I went in my home gym today to test the waters and managed:
    Squat 75 - 3*5
    Bench 55 - 1*5 (failed on second set)
    Deadlift 90 - 1*5
    My height is about 5'11
    Current weight 173 pounds

So obviously I want to see the numbers going up and I'll try to keep the blog updated.
    Next time I get to the gym i'll "officially" start my SS with squat, OHP and pendlays.

Regarding diet I'm afraid I simply don't have time to keep track of exactly what I eat, but I do stick to decent food and lots of meat/fish/eggs. If I don't see weight increase on GOMAD i'll have to seriously look at what i'm eating.

Any tips/ comments would be appreciated.
    Add in chins and dips.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Add in chins and dips.
    3*F alternating between workouts?

Chins with workout A (squat, dead , bench) or B (Squat, OHP, Pendlays)?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    3*F alternating between workouts?

Chins with workout A (squat, dead , bench) or B (Squat, OHP, Pendlays)?
    Squats - 3x5
    Bench - 3x5
    Deadlift - 1x5
    DIPS - 2 x 8-12

Workout B
    Squats - 3x5
    Standing Press - 3x5
    Bent over rows 3x5 or cleans 5x3
    PULLUPS/CHINS - 2 x 8-12

ReputationRep:
    I'm in to watch.

Got any target weights you want to be lifting by a set date?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    I'm in to watch.

Got any target weights you want to be lifting by a set date?
    Im back to uni on the 13th so by then I want my 100 deadlift back and the 80 squat going. I won't see any bench progress until I get back to uni (where I have a spotter).

I think I'll feel like i've achieved something when/if the squat goes over 100kg (which I know is still low for most guys here).

ReputationRep:
    Not a bad day today
    I managed my squats 20*5 20*5 40*5 60*5 77.5*5 77.5*5 77.5*5
    OHP was crap 20*5 30*5 40*5 40*2 30*5
    Pendlay was good - had more in me but was just finding roughly where I am 20*5 30*5 40*5 42.5*5 42.5*5 42.5*5
    Chins were shocking but i'm not too surprised - 4 , 4 , 4 couldnt do more than 4 in a set

I'll check my weight tomorrow morning and see how its doing.

ReputationRep:
    174 pounds - nothing strange there

ReputationRep:
    very happy with today

Squat 80kg 3*5 =PB
    Bench 57.5kg 3*5 = New PB
    Deadlift 95kg 2*5
    Dips - 6 , 6 , 5
    One question - should I be doing 1*5 or 3*5 on the deadlift work sets? (I comprimised today)

ReputationRep:
    very happy with today

Squat 80kg 3*5 =PB
    Bench 57.5kg 3*5 = New PB
    Deadlift 95kg 2*5
    Dips - 6 , 6 , 5
    One question - should I be doing 1*5 or 3*5 on the deadlift work sets? (I comprimised today)
    1*5 according to the starting strength wiki...

Nice lifts though.

Go for 100kg 1*5 next time on the deadlift i reckon...

"Only 1 set of Deadlifts? Is that a typo?Edit Only 1 set of Deadlifts? Is that a typo? sectionEdit

Long answer: You're already squatting 3x/week of 3 sets of 5 and that hits a lot of the same target muscles as the deadlift. That, plus the fact that deadlifts are notoriously hard to recover from is why they are only for 1 set. Once they get heavy and you're going all out for your one set, you'll be so gassed that the very thought of doing two more sets will make you projectile vomit.

Shorter answer: No
    Why 1 set of deadlifts, 5 sets of powercleans and 3 sets of everything else?Edit Why 1 set of deadlifts, 5 sets of powercleans and 3 sets of everything else? sectionEdit

The "3 sets, 5 reps of everything" is a basic starting point for newbs which works for most major primary exercises. 3 sets creates enough of a stress on the body so that homeostasis is disrupted, yet the workload remains tolerable, even for someone who is unfit and untrained. For the novice, 5 reps generally allows for the best possible mix of consistency in strength and exercise execution, as well as fatigue production.

However, it is recommended to do 5 sets, 3 reps apiece, of power cleans, rather than 3 sets of 5. The reason lies in the nature of this specific exercise and it's technical nature. Fatigue is not the primary goal during the clean, rapid force generation and technical accuracy is. Because the exercise is the most mechanically difficult exercise to perform and it involves a tremendously large # of muscle groups, even moderate fatigue of the supporting musculature can have a prominently adverse affect on the trainee's ability to perform the exercise at all, let alone correctly.

Lower rep sets are more appropriate once the trainee is able to perform the exercise with a base level of competence. Unlike most standard exercises in bodybuilding and strength training, fatigue is NOT the goal. Exact technical accuracy in exercise execution is far more important and fatigue is neither beneficial or even appropriate. Sets with lower repetitions, such as 1, 2, and 3 reps per set, are more successful at ensuring the lift is worked properly and that force generation is even and consistent.

Deadlifts are on the opposite side of the spectrum. Of all multi-joint exercises, deadlifts may possibly be the easiest to perform correctly with the least amount of instruction. Aside from a few pointers about back position and grip, the exercise is, technically, incredibly easy because it is so natural. The 3 primary muscle groups used in this exercise, the glutes/hips, the thighs, and the back, are the 3 largest and most powerful muscle groups in the body. Additionally, the exercise is performed through what amounts to a somewhat reduced ROM and the hips and back are held in a mechanically advantageous position. As a result, tremendous poundages can be hoisted, sometimes by even the rankest of novices. Since this exercise is performed AFTER squats, and since squats can fatigue many of the same muscle groups, only 1 working set of deadlifts is required to achieve an appropriate training affect, and for most novices and even many intermediates, only 1 working set of deadlifts will be required to maintain steady progress in the exercise. "

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    1*5 according to the starting strength wiki...

Nice lifts though.

Go for 100kg 1*5 next time on the deadlift i reckon...

"Only 1 set of Deadlifts? Is that a typo?Edit Only 1 set of Deadlifts? Is that a typo? sectionEdit

Long answer: You're already squatting 3x/week of 3 sets of 5 and that hits a lot of the same target muscles as the deadlift. That, plus the fact that deadlifts are notoriously hard to recover from is why they are only for 1 set. Once they get heavy and you're going all out for your one set, you'll be so gassed that the very thought of doing two more sets will make you projectile vomit.

Shorter answer: No
    Why 1 set of deadlifts, 5 sets of powercleans and 3 sets of everything else?Edit Why 1 set of deadlifts, 5 sets of powercleans and 3 sets of everything else? sectionEdit

The "3 sets, 5 reps of everything" is a basic starting point for newbs which works for most major primary exercises. 3 sets creates enough of a stress on the body so that homeostasis is disrupted, yet the workload remains tolerable, even for someone who is unfit and untrained. For the novice, 5 reps generally allows for the best possible mix of consistency in strength and exercise execution, as well as fatigue production.

However, it is recommended to do 5 sets, 3 reps apiece, of power cleans, rather than 3 sets of 5. The reason lies in the nature of this specific exercise and it's technical nature. Fatigue is not the primary goal during the clean, rapid force generation and technical accuracy is. Because the exercise is the most mechanically difficult exercise to perform and it involves a tremendously large # of muscle groups, even moderate fatigue of the supporting musculature can have a prominently adverse affect on the trainee's ability to perform the exercise at all, let alone correctly.

Lower rep sets are more appropriate once the trainee is able to perform the exercise with a base level of competence. Unlike most standard exercises in bodybuilding and strength training, fatigue is NOT the goal. Exact technical accuracy in exercise execution is far more important and fatigue is neither beneficial or even appropriate. Sets with lower repetitions, such as 1, 2, and 3 reps per set, are more successful at ensuring the lift is worked properly and that force generation is even and consistent.

Deadlifts are on the opposite side of the spectrum. Of all multi-joint exercises, deadlifts may possibly be the easiest to perform correctly with the least amount of instruction. Aside from a few pointers about back position and grip, the exercise is, technically, incredibly easy because it is so natural. The 3 primary muscle groups used in this exercise, the glutes/hips, the thighs, and the back, are the 3 largest and most powerful muscle groups in the body. Additionally, the exercise is performed through what amounts to a somewhat reduced ROM and the hips and back are held in a mechanically advantageous position. As a result, tremendous poundages can be hoisted, sometimes by even the rankest of novices. Since this exercise is performed AFTER squats, and since squats can fatigue many of the same muscle groups, only 1 working set of deadlifts is required to achieve an appropriate training affect, and for most novices and even many intermediates, only 1 working set of deadlifts will be required to maintain steady progress in the exercise. "

I thought it was 1*5

Definitely going for 100 next time I deadlift, then I can start pushing my PB's up.

I did some checks on my form last night and have ammended my bench (my arms were coming down close to parallel with the bar when the bar was down, rather than around 45 degrees which im fixing. Also on the squat i never really used to push the bar with my arms, which meant a lot more of the weight seemed to be on my lower back - now on the way up i'm trying to push the bar up with my arms as well, which seems to have improved my form.

ReputationRep:
    Not bad today- didn't really feel up for it and had a horrible feeling i'd stall my squat as soon as I passed my old PB.

Pendlays - 45kg 3*5 easy
    OHP - 20 1*5, 30 1*5, 40 1*5 40 1*4(fail on 5th), 35 1*5 (im going to do 37.5 next time and just get a complete set)
    Squat 20x5, 30x5, 40x5, 50x5, 60x5, 70x3, 82.5 3*5 (new pb) - really had to work in the second set for some reason but they all went up with reasonable form so going for 85 next time - only thing was my wrists were hurting for some reason - im thinking because im pushing up on the bar on the lift but my grip might not be right?
    Chins - 4,2,4,4 (added an extra set due to the 2 - i dont think i rested for more than 20secs before these for some stupid reason)

ReputationRep:
    Squat 20x5, 30x5, 40x5, 50x5, 60x5, 70x3, 82.5 3*5 (new pb) - really had to work in the second set for some reason but they all went up with reasonable form so going for 85 next time - only thing was my wrists were hurting for some reason - im thinking because im pushing up on the bar on the lift but my grip might not be right?
    How are you holding the bar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisIsOurDecision)
    How are you holding the bar?
    I always thought I was holding it fine (fairly narrow grip) - its hard to describe a grip...
    I think it could be that rather than pushing my back tight and shoulders back my wrist may be bending to reach it so the power transfer has to go through the wrist

ReputationRep:
    I always thought I was holding it fine (fairly narrow grip) - its hard to describe a grip...
    I think it could be that rather than pushing my back tight and shoulders back my wrist may be bending to reach it so the power transfer has to go through the wrist
    Try using a thumbless grip. Personally it feels better on my wrists.

ReputationRep:
    That hurt...
    Squat 20x5, 30x5, 40x5, 50x5, 60x5, 70x3, 85x3x5
    Bench 20x5 30x5 40x5 50x3 60x5 60x5 60x3 fail on 4th rep - really should have asked someone to spot this, had to push it down onto my waist then pick it up - not sure what im going to do about bench - may do db press until i go back to uni where i have a spotter.
    Deadlift 30x5 50x5 60x5 70x5 80x3 90x1 100x5 - really had to fight for these - my grip felt terrible and was slipping on 60, but they all went up so im happy.

ReputationRep:
    That hurt...
    Bench 20x5 30x5 40x5 50x3 60x5 60x5 60x3 fail on 4th rep - really should have asked someone to spot this, had to push it down onto my waist then pick it up - not sure what im going to do about bench - may do db press until i go back to uni where i have a spotter.
    Deadlift 30x5 50x5 60x5 70x5 80x3 90x1 100x5 - really had to fight for these - my grip felt terrible and was slipping on 60, but they all went up so im happy.
    Why haven't you got a spotter now? Just ask someone.

ReputationRep:
    That hurt...
    Ask a random for a spotter and get chalk for your grip. Nice and cheap on ebay eg.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gymnastic-Chal...item230c9a2841

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Why haven't you got a spotter now? Just ask someone.

(Original post by RawJoh1)
    Ask a random for a spotter and get chalk for your grip. Nice and cheap on ebay eg.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gymnastic-Chal...item230c9a2841

I would ask someone to spot but at the time I go to my home gym (very early) barely anyones there, and if there are people in the weights area they're doing bb curls followed by sit ups followed by db curls so im not sure id want them spotting. Its not much of a problem given im back at uni in a week.
    Chalk looks good - it wont hinder grip development will it?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 1, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.