Bernard Hopkins
    Mike Tyson
    Danny Williams
    Chris Eubanks

Rappers

Rakim
    Nearly all of the Wu-tang Clan
    Mos Def
    Lupe (I think he was born into it though)
    Ice Cube
    Q-Tip
    Bone Thugs
    Beanie Siegel
    Scarface
    The Roots
    Ghost Face Killer

and so so many more LEGENDS in both fields, why do barely any of them convert to Judaism or Hinduism or Christianity? Why Boxing and Hip Hop in particular - how come there are barely any Muslim actors - or of other professions in the Entertainment industry?

Oh and

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried asking them?

ReputationRep:
    Because islam is the best

I think people find guidance and strength in this religion. Its not all about terrorism, wars etc. as is the common misconception these days.

ReputationRep:
    Many of the people you've named are African-americans. They appreciate the equality and diversity Islam promotes and many of them ,coming from under privelleged backgrounds, enjoy the sense of global brotherhood that joining Islam entails.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missgeorgia)
    Because islam is the best

I think people find guidance and strength in this religion. Its not all about terrorism, wars etc. as is the common misconception these days.
    Hmm there's something very endearing about the religion - there must be, people gravitate towards it. I'm trying to knowledge myself about the faith.

ReputationRep:
    Islam unites fellow man

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't I just say the same for Christianity, or Atheism and list a load of good Christian or Atheist boxers/rappers?

ReputationRep:
    Because Jesus wasn't black.

ReputationRep:
    Legendary rappers; biggie and tupac are the greatest rappers and they aint muslims.
    Not sure why people like to make stupid threads. Or you trying to convert us. :rofl:?

As for boxing im not a fan, but im sure there are elite boxers who aint muslims

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callumt_y)
    Just to name a few:

Boxers

Muhammad Ali
    Rubin Carter
    Bernard Hopkins
    Mike Tyson
    Danny Williams
    Chris Eubanks

Rappers

Rakim
    Nearly all of the Wu-tang Clan
    Mos Def
    Lupe (I think he was born into it though)
    Ice Cube
    Q-Tip
    Bone Thugs
    Beanie Siegel
    Scarface
    The Roots
    Ghost Face Killer

and so so many more LEGENDS in both fields, why do barely any of them convert to Judaism or Hinduism or Christianity? Why Boxing and Hip Hop in particular - how come there are barely any Muslim actors - or of other professions in the Entertainment industry?
    They've found the truth.

I think Muhammad Ali explained in an interview why he converted and what brought him to Islam. I'm sure you can find it on Youtube.

Didn't know Mike Tyson and Ice Cube are Muslim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    Couldn't I just say the same for Christianity, or Atheism and list a load of good Christian or Atheist boxers/rappers?
    But did they convert to Christianity? I dont hear much about converting to other faiths tbh, especially Islam wasn't/isn't considered a "Western" faith yet it dominates in certain feilds that are prevalent in the West.

ReputationRep:
    Because the lifestyle that boxers and rappers live is the fast lane dream that everyone chases. These individuals usually come from a deprived background. After chasing everything in the world they find that they are not content and think to themselves their must be more to life.

They research into religion, and they find Islam is the most logical and peaceful religion to the heart. I mean the idea of 1 pure god who created us puts the heart to rest beyond comprehension.

Islam out of all the abrahamic faiths does best when it comes to covering up its faults and contradictions which is why they convert. But after a while some of these individuals leave islam when they find it to be man made. Most of them just stick with it and sort of edit the religion to their needs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-friends)
    They've found the truth.

I think Muhammad Ali explained in an interview why he converted and what brought him to Islam. I'm sure you can find it on Youtube.

Didn't know Mike Tyson and Ice Cube are Muslim.
    I like this too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__Azo...eature=related

Mike Tyson - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y6oO...eature=related

ReputationRep:
    It's suitably counter culture to fit into their dangerous rebel image.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam010)
    Because the lifestyle that boxers and rappers live is the fast lane dream that everyone chases. These individuals usually come from a deprived background. After chasing everything in the world they find that they are not content and think to themselves their must be more to life.

They research into religion, and they find Islam is the most logical and peaceful religion to the heart. I mean the idea of 1 pure god who created us puts the heart to rest beyond comprehension.

Islam out of all the abrahamic faiths does best when it comes to covering up its faults and contradictions which is why they convert. But after a while some of these individuals leave islam when they find it to be man made. Most of them just stick with it and sort of edit the religion to their needs.
    But they dont just say they're Muslim for piece of mind, i've noticed they actually practice and preach it. Like at the end of fights (youtube it) Tyson after his conversion used to prostrate in the ring and say "praises due to allah". Muhammad Ali at his ripe old age still talks about it (linked a vid up there) and even rappers in the rhymes always speak about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fist of the south star)
    Many of the people you've named are African-americans. They appreciate the equality and diversity Islam promotes and many of them ,coming from under privelleged backgrounds, enjoy the sense of global brotherhood that joining Islam entails.
    Yeah, I was going to pick up on this fact, and also many of them have Muslim origins (their ancestors were), as you could tell by some of their names.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsukuyomi)
    Legendary rappers; biggie and tupac are the greatest rappers and they aint muslims.
    Not sure why people like to make stupid threads. Or you trying to convert us. :rofl:?

As for boxing im not a fan, but im sure there are elite boxers who aint muslims
    But even the greatest have embraced Islam, both Nas and 2pac, even Kweli and Common have embraced it in the sense they appreciate it (hear it in their rhymes) - it seems to be hip hops religion. (Also "greatest" is subjective, in my mind Rakim is the greatest)

I'm not trying to convert you, it's just an observation.

ReputationRep:
    Because Islam is gangsta?

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget Everlast!

ReputationRep:
    I know I saw that, very sweet to be honest and a relief someone said something at that time. Let alone it being someone as big as Muhammad Ali.

I'm not sure about Mike Tyson, because I think he said something about him being a "non- practising Muslim".

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.