Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The hallways - Don't know how I'll 'fit in'? :) Watch

Hi,
    So I've got months to go before I start wandering the hallways in my first fresher year of uni. I've heard and seen how crazy things can get in there and I'm worrying I might be a bit of an outcast kid. Uh-oh :eek:
    I'm a muslim girl and I don't see how i'll manage to settle down, find/make new friends and have fun when everyone else is drinking and really having a good time because of it. I know this isnt the case always (is it?) but for Freshers and the first week it'll take time to calm it the heck down.

If I had a choice I'd pick a floor with students who I think I can make friends with easily without having to change my personality, or feel uncomfortable around . I think I might be referring to other muslims or those new to that lifestyle. (Saying that though, I'm not looking to start a riot on here.)

Do I have the choice?
    Also is there a floor for just international students?

For the first to judge, I am socially adept. This is bringing me down a bit. And besides it is my first year and I wouldnt mind making the most of it.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    ummm... i don't think they segregate the students really, besides gender, but I'm kinda the same with that... I don't think the partying should be too big a deal.. or so I hope

ReputationRep:
    The "hallways"? Lol =) Odd choice of words to use. Its Halls, normally.

Uni is what you make of it. You can't really read up on it and you probably won't have a choice of who you live with. In general its not going to be too crazy, don't worry about the horror stories. If you normally get along with people socially I'm sure you will cope fine. Just make friends and get to know people you get along with, whether that is people of the same nationality/religion or not.

ReputationRep:
    Not everybody drinks a lot. Which uni are you going to?

ReputationRep:
    Drinking and having fun do normally go together quite a lot i suppose in the first year, guess it settles down a bit after but i know some universities, give you the option to select lively and quiet halls, maybe a suggestion for you would be to choose quiet. Personally, i want lively halls but i can appreciate some people prefer a more relaxed, quiet approach.
    As for the outkast kid, there will be people who won't drink for whatever reason, but majority will be drinking but i guess thats kinda expected and will never change Not to sound racist but as long as you don't wear a burka or do anything too particularly weird to distance yourself, you'll get along fine.

(Original post by Bella_Gail)
    Not everybody drinks a lot. Which uni are you going to?
    Eyes set on QMUL.
    Probably will end up there. If you've got any stereotypical, yet freakishly accurate, views on the halls there, I've got my ears open.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Eyes set on QMUL.
    Probably will end up there. If you've got any stereotypical, yet freakishly accurate, views on the halls there, I've got my ears open.
    Sorry, none of my friends went there so I don't know anything about it.

(Original post by teshnit)
    Drinking and having fun do normally go together quite a lot i suppose in the first year, guess it settles down a bit after but i know some universities, give you the option to select lively and quiet halls, maybe a suggestion for you would be to choose quiet. Personally, i want lively halls but i can appreciate some people prefer a more relaxed, quiet approach.
    As for the outkast kid, there will be people who won't drink for whatever reason, but majority will be drinking but i guess thats kinda expected and will never change Not to sound racist but as long as you don't wear a burka or do anything too particularly weird to distance yourself, you'll get along fine.
    Oh that sounds great. Quiet it is!
    Well this is just peachy. I dont wear burkha but I wear a headscarf. I'm sure people arent as backward to alienate someone on religion and belief purely.
    As long as they dont purposefully ignore or exclude me I'm sure it'll be fine, I have got personality.

ReputationRep:
    Eyes set on QMUL.
    ah same- finger crossed you had your interview yet?

ReputationRep:
    Oh that sounds great. Quiet it is!
    Well this is just peachy. I dont wear burkha but I wear a headscarf. I'm sure people arent as backward to alienate someone on religion and belief purely.
    As long as they dont purposefully ignore or exclude me I'm sure it'll be fine, I have got personality.
    Some can alienate and some won't, its human nature, not everyone is perfect and nice, but more often than not people will be ok, headscarfs are ok, but full burkas do get a lot of stick, not sure about life in uni if you wear one, but generally they aren't looked at positively from what i have seen, but as you don't wear one it should be ok hopefully.

Oh and not all unis definitely have the option for type of accommodation, it just some places i have seen do offer it so i wouldn't rely on QMUL offering it for definite, you would need to ask them before hand if they do if you really wish to have the option and decide to use it as making your decision on which uni.

Also you don't have to live in halls if you don't want to, there is normal housing, you just need to find some nice house mates to live with.

ReputationRep:
    Eyes set on QMUL.
    Hey, I wouldn't worry too much if you're going QMUL. There are a lot of Muslims who go there.

ReputationRep:
    Eyes set on QMUL.
    QMUL has many asian inhabitants so you really shouldn't have a problem finding similar poeple (who don't party/drink) to mix with.

(Original post by amsie/)
    ah same- finger crossed you had your interview yet?
    Oh nice. No offer without interview.
    Anon because I was a tiny bit embarassed venting. I wish you the best for your application

Thanks guys for the help

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.