Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Just wanted to see what chemistry students @ Southampton think of the course (already created a few accommodation threads, sorry about that).
    I don't really know what to ask, as I'm not even from the UK. Is there lots of maths and phyics involved.. I mean, is it really hard ? What are the tutors like, what are the exams like..Considering Soton is one of the best unis for chemistry in the UK I am really not sure I can cope with all the work Just write whatever you can think of the course (including the bad sides lol don't be biased)
    Oh and if someone has been to the 6-month work placement please share your experience

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to be objective here because I don't know much about the running of other universities. I have a friend at bath doing chemistry who seems to have a similar workload, so I imagine the course doesn't vary a lot from uni to uni.
    I'm in the second year looking for a placement on the 12 month course and haven't found one yet, but from what I can tell it's a valuable part of the course.

The staff are excellent with one or two exceptions and the tutors are all good too, again I imagine this is the same across the board.

If i could go back to choosing a Uni, I don't think I would look much at the course, as I think the top ones don't have much variation. I'd be looking at the area, the campus, if there were any unique societies I wanted to join, and the accommodation situations for all years (not just first!).
    I really like the Southampton area, it's not right in the city, but is close enough, Portswood has plenty of shops and the campus is well arranged (all in one place!). There is plenty of accommodation in halls, so not too much risk of missing out there, and the local rented places have variation, of course, but if you're sensible then it's easy to get somewhere good.

The course in the first year isn't too hard, and if you work at it like as hard as you should, I dare say you should have no problem getting a 2:1.
    The second year is considerably harder, mainly because of the amount of work they set. Lab reports take several hours and amongst other work it can be hard to juggle everything, but I think it is do-able if you aren't working part-time and are willing to really work hard (going out 2 nights a week is pushing it for a 2nd year chemist).

That said, I don't think this is uncommon, chemistry is a hard course, and while there are things I think do need to change, the majority of it can be seen coming.
    If you want the busy social life and aren't so bothered about your degree, change course, but if you're willing to work hard, Southampton is a well established uni with good opportunities, contacts, and a good reputation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beansandsauce)
    It's hard to be objective here because I don't know much about the running of other universities. I have a friend at bath doing chemistry who seems to have a similar workload, so I imagine the course doesn't vary a lot from uni to uni.
    I'm in the second year looking for a placement on the 12 month course and haven't found one yet, but from what I can tell it's a valuable part of the course.

The staff are excellent with one or two exceptions and the tutors are all good too, again I imagine this is the same across the board.

If i could go back to choosing a Uni, I don't think I would look much at the course, as I think the top ones don't have much variation. I'd be looking at the area, the campus, if there were any unique societies I wanted to join, and the accommodation situations for all years (not just first!).
    I really like the Southampton area, it's not right in the city, but is close enough, Portswood has plenty of shops and the campus is well arranged (all in one place!). There is plenty of accommodation in halls, so not too much risk of missing out there, and the local rented places have variation, of course, but if you're sensible then it's easy to get somewhere good.

The course in the first year isn't too hard, and if you work at it like as hard as you should, I dare say you should have no problem getting a 2:1.
    The second year is considerably harder, mainly because of the amount of work they set. Lab reports take several hours and amongst other work it can be hard to juggle everything, but I think it is do-able if you aren't working part-time and are willing to really work hard (going out 2 nights a week is pushing it for a 2nd year chemist).

That said, I don't think this is uncommon, chemistry is a hard course, and while there are things I think do need to change, the majority of it can be seen coming.
    If you want the busy social life and aren't so bothered about your degree, change course, but if you're willing to work hard, Southampton is a well established uni with good opportunities, contacts, and a good reputation.
    Thanks for the only answer in this thread lol it was useful
    The only thing that worries me about Southampton is that accommodation is a bit more expensive compared to that of other unis (and for my family a bit more expensive is not that 'a bit' actually) but if the uni is worth it we will go for it That's why I wanted to know more about the course etc..

ReputationRep:
    I have found accomodation both years so far to be pretty much average. Personally, I don't think en-suite or catered is worthwhile.
    Catered students often can't attend their meal times, have a crap kitchen, and don't learn to cook as well.
    En-suites don't get a cleaner, pay a lot more, and have no possibility of getting a double door. (if you have no sink in your room, it's just outside. You share with one person and there is a door to the corridor afterwards. Excellent for noisy flatmates.) I never queued for the shower, there's spares if one breaks, and they get cleaned 4 times a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beansandsauce)
    I have found accomodation both years so far to be pretty much average. Personally, I don't think en-suite or catered is worthwhile.
    Catered students often can't attend their meal times, have a crap kitchen, and don't learn to cook as well.
    En-suites don't get a cleaner, pay a lot more, and have no possibility of getting a double door. (if you have no sink in your room, it's just outside. You share with one person and there is a door to the corridor afterwards. Excellent for noisy flatmates.) I never queued for the shower, there's spares if one breaks, and they get cleaned 4 times a week.
    omg one thing about uni I was sure from the beginning about was that I was going to apply for catered accomodation Do you share the sink with one person in every single Hall ? Or is it just the most expensive ones? I was considering a room with a washbasin, but in this case it is definately not worth it, is it hah Thanks again for the info!

ReputationRep:
    No, you can specify which you want, I think it's quite unusual.
    I was in monte 1 which is the cheapest in wessex lane, and it was fantastic accommodation for the price.

My one complaint was that it's a little sterile and not very homely, but that means it's easy for the cleaners so really good if you're a clean person.

Also having a cleaner 4 days a week is unusual, only one other person I've spoken to has them that frequently (RVC). If you're messy then you will get some stuff confiscated, but if you put your things away then it's really good because it means you don't have to suffer the untidy flatmates dirty cooking stuff.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.