Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Ok so this is the situation at the mo. I'm 18 and living with my Dad and younger sis who are religious. I was away from home at college for 2 years and while I was away I decided I don't wanna be religious anymore for a number of reasons. I got back home in June and its not working out living at home coz I have 2 do a lot 2 respect the fact I'm living in a religious home and my Dad doesn't realise that I really don't do any of the religious stuff and I don't wanna upset him more by telling him so there are a lot of secrets etc. I'm working in a religious property firm and don't like my job 4 a number of reasons one of them being that I really dislike religious ppl.
    I gave in my notice 3 weeks ago and decided I'll move back to Manchester where I was in college so I've been applying 4 jobs there and hope 2 get a job there starting at the end of Jan. Ive been looking into flatshares there and am going to see some when I am visiting in a few weeks.
    I'm just worried about the whole moving thing. I grew up in a very religious and segregated environment so I'm worried about how I will integrate into society. The flatshare I will prob live in will mean sharing a house with 2 girls and a boy aged 23-27. Should i be worried about the whole thing coz I really want to make friends and integrate but I'm not sure if this will be jumping in at the deep end?
    Any advice would be a help

Do it man. It's your life. Shouldn't let your family make your decisions. Good luck!

Do what personally feels right to you :) and just make your decisions based on what YOU want to do, not what you think you should do. You don't seem happy in your current house and job, so do what you think will make you happier :)

You sound like a nice guy, so I think that you have values and ethical principles. You can start from that and enter the "real" world doing your best to succeed, for your own happiness first of all.

And don't be too afraid of being too naive for the "real world." Life is learning, constantly, and along with unavoidable mistakes that everybody makes, also come the learning and the improvement.

Therefore my humble advice to you is, go grab your life with determination and enthusiasm, and you will see that good things will come to you.

Sometimes jumping in at the deep end is the best way to do something. You certainly don't sound happy in your current situation so I don't see why you shouldn't move if that's what you want to do. Yes it will no doubt be a bit scary and challenging but think of what an achievement it will be if you manage to pull it off. I'm sure you will adjust to being less "segregated" as you put it and will learn to make new friends etc. I for one quite admire your bravery and wish you luck whatever you decide to do.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2010
What's the best type of cheese?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.