Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview at Warwick university for Secondary Biology on the 18th of Jan.
    I will need to give a microteaching presentation for 3-5 mins which needs to demonstrate subject knowledge and engage the audience in a discussions.

I am reallyyy confused about what to talk about. Any suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated..

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I had something similar with Cambridge a few years back, but they didn't give me most of a month's notice, they sprang it to us on the day.

Pick something you are comfortable with, they are looking for your innate abilities. I must say though, if you are a biologist and are particularly strong with one specific area of chemistry or physics then that would be a nice thing to show off.

I (as a chemist trainee) did a 2-3min session on aerodynamics and lift:
    Starter - Threw a paper plane and a ball of paper -> Why does one fly and the other not?
    Main - Wing shape and Bernoulli principle (not the whole story i know, but a starter on aerodynamics at least), air travels faster on the top, slower underneath, generates lift
    Demo/Plenary - everyone had 2 pieces of paper, i showed them if you hold them a small distance appart and blow between them they pull together (demonstrating said principle).

A nice, neat, 3 part package. It helped that it was a part of science that i was very strong on (used to teach air cadets exactly that stuff) and the interviewers probably had minimal knowledge on.

Discussions are a bit of an ask, they are a pain to manage even for a moderately experienced teacher and are very time consuming. Do you have an idea of the audience, is it just your fellow interviewees and interviewers?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.