Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I'm having a digital camera for my birthday present this year but have been trawling around town today and have come home empty handed!

There's too much choice, and I'm so confused now! I'm looking at either a 12 or 14 megapixel one, is there a noticable difference between the two?

Are there any brands which you would recommend, or ones to steer clear of?

Lastly, any recommendations for a camera you already have?

Thanks
    A confused birthday girl!

ReputationRep:
    I bought one yesterday. I got the Sony DSC-W320 digital camera for £94.05 from Amazon, I thought it looked pretty good and reduced from £199.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply, I was hoping to buy from a high street retailer so if anything went wrong I had somewhere to go directly.

ReputationRep:
    Buy a Canon powershot, they are by far the best compacts (assuming it is a compact you want).

Secondly, buy a low cost one and spend the money you save on something else. Remember the photographer takes the picture, not the camera; you don't need to spend hundreds.

ReputationRep:
    powershot's are decent. also think about what is most important to you. Bridge cameras/ compact superzooms can be cheaper or equal price to compacts and will yield better pictures, but are bigger.
    Megapixels are overrated as a measure of quality. I'd rather have a 2M DSLR than a 14M compact, because the colour reproduction would be so much better. compacts with massive image sizes usually can't live up to it in quality, so don't worry too much.

ReputationRep:
    ive got a panasonic lumix dmc-fs62 very good picture quality costing around £100 early last year

i was told by someone with a big £2000 camera that the lumix's were a very good camera

check reviews on trusted reviews and cameras.co.uk (i think thats the site)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MovingOn)
    Hey guys,

I'm having a digital camera for my birthday present this year but have been trawling around town today and have come home empty handed!

There's too much choice, and I'm so confused now! I'm looking at either a 12 or 14 megapixel one, is there a noticable difference between the two?

Are there any brands which you would recommend, or ones to steer clear of?

Lastly, any recommendations for a camera you already have?

Thanks
    A confused birthday girl!
    I guarantee that with two otherwise identical cameras, you wouldn't notice the difference between 12MP and 14MP, or even between 5 and 12 for that matter. It's called the Megapixel Myth - see http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm for brief overview.

Personally, I'd recommend Canon - I've always found their picture quality to be spot on, well-built products, and very reliable.

I'm not going to claim to be a photography expert though, so will leave others to advise specifically :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammydemon)
    Buy a Canon powershot, they are by far the best compacts (assuming it is a compact you want).

Secondly, buy a low cost one and spend the money you save on something else. Remember the photographer takes the picture, not the camera; you don't need to spend hundreds.
    Thanks, will have a look into that model.

I'm not looking to spend too much, budgeting around £150 tops.

(Original post by KissMyArtichoke)
    powershot's are decent. also think about what is most important to you. Bridge cameras/ compact superzooms can be cheaper or equal price to compacts and will yield better pictures, but are bigger.
    Megapixels are overrated as a measure of quality. I'd rather have a 2M DSLR than a 14M compact, because the colour reproduction would be so much better. compacts with massive image sizes usually can't live up to it in quality, so don't worry too much.
    Sorry, what? I will have to do a bit more research because I thought it was simply a choice between a digi compact or an SLR, haven't even heard of superzooms.

(Original post by aaaagggg1525)
    ive got a panasonic lumix dmc-fs62 very good picture quality costing around £100 early last year

i was told by someone with a big £2000 camera that the lumix's were a very good camera

check reviews on trusted reviews and cameras.co.uk (i think thats the site)
    Yeah, lumix's are on my radar but unfortunately the panasonic shop was shut early today so haven't had a chance to play with one yet.

(Original post by DarkWhite)
    I guarantee that with two otherwise identical cameras, you wouldn't notice the difference between 12MP and 14MP, or even between 5 and 12 for that matter. It's called the Megapixel Myth - see http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm for brief overview.

Personally, I'd recommend Canon - I've always found their picture quality to be spot on, well-built products, and very reliable.

I'm not going to claim to be a photography expert though, so will leave others to advise specifically :p:
    Wow, thanks for the link, completely blown my way of thinking now

Thanks for the recommendation.

ReputationRep:
    It depends though: because if u want to start a professional photography career then maybe purchase lumix g2 or canon 7d. Otherwise just choose a compact camera which is more casual, from Panasonic or other providers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.