Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am wanting to move all my music from my laptop to a portable HD, which will just be plugged in every time I want to listen to music. However, just copying it over didn't work as the file location changed. So I am wondering how exactly it is supposed to be done...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHABANA)
    I am wanting to move all my music from my laptop to a portable HD, which will just be plugged in every time I want to listen to music. However, just copying it over didn't work as the file location changed. So I am wondering how exactly it is supposed to be done...
    Get Windows Media Player to rescan your library?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Get Windows Media Player to rescan your library?
    That didn't seem to work, it just randomly had very few files as the new location. Would it be better to delete the playlists, and then add files from the external hard disk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHABANA)
    That didn't seem to work, it just randomly had very few files as the new location. Would it be better to delete the playlists, and then add files from the external hard disk?
    From what I gather from here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions

You'll need to move your files, ****can your existing library and then get it to scan for music - make sure you point it in the direction of your removable hard disk, otherwise it'll ignore it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    From what I gather from here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions

You'll need to move your files, ****can your existing library and then get it to scan for music - make sure you point it in the direction of your removable hard disk, otherwise it'll ignore it.
    Okay, I am in a total mess with it!
    This is what I did (from the start) - I had my music in 2 places: The original "Music" folder on windows, and within that there were a few folders. I also had some under "Documents". What I did was cut both the main "Music" one and the other folder and put it on the external drive.
    Today, I copied the stuff back (still keeping the copies on the external drive), but on windows media player some files were from the C drive, and some from the external one.
    The main "Music" folder on my computer isn't the original one anymore, the icon is different. Also, when I go to start, the part which says "Music", which I could usually just click on doesn't do anything!
    It appears like the "original" Music folder is on my external drive, as it has the original icon. I'm too tired now so cba deleting everything off my comp and pasting it from the external drive will have a go tomorrow to see if it works.
    UPDATE: I cut the original folder from my external drive back to the comp and now it works like it did. Just going to leave things as they are and sort it after exams!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.